What do you think about "e-soaring"?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

John.Roo

Really sad to see how much money has been spent without reaching the goal...

henryk

without reaching the goal...
=Specific PROPELLER Thrust is low,aspatially with small diameters...

=noise is big (iff multiply in town transport !).

then, allmost all this projects are "one way street"...

exept of VOLERIAN (flapping thrusters)/

henryk

John.Roo

Really sad to see how much money has been spent without reaching the goal...
Last comment about eVTOL as they are not topic of this thread...

Now we can read opinions of many experts about credibility of eVTOL projects. But where the experts were at the beginning? Investors invested millions without independent technical review? Many projects are started with "good will" expecting that batteries are really going forward. Nearly every week we can ready about "new super high end sources of energy". I can imagine that designer without experience with actual stage of battery cells technology can be "too optimistic" with capacity/weigtht ratio. When somebody asks me when we will use new "super high end cells" I answer - we use battery cells actually available on the market. If project (e-airplane, eVTOL etc.) will work with actuall cells, than can be only better in future. Or it will have the same performance but for less money. I beleive that electric propulsion is actually available for sport airplanes and small GA airplanes. Other projects I cannot judge (I have only experience with sport airplanes), however I support anyone who has the courage to try new systems to help protect the environment.

9aplus

Lilium case is specific one. Big $$$ bucks invested in uncertain solution.
More like gambling on future battery performance - Assuming that all is in order
with aerodynamic performance of transition from vertical lift of.
What is significant to me personally is the fact that they are closed for visitors...
Tested that in late 2019., before Covid times ;)

John.Roo

Lilium case is specific one. Big $$$ bucks invested in uncertain solution.
More like gambling on future battery performance - Assuming that all is in order
with aerodynamic performance of transition from vertical lift of.
What is significant to me personally is the fact that they are closed for visitors...
Tested that in late 2019., before Covid times ;)
"closed for visitors?"
Really? Strange....

9aplus

"closed for visitors?"
Really? Strange....
Must be some kind of company culture.
My Jr (25) (A and H pilot and engineer, now doing his ATPL), was interested to join.
On his way back from some H training in NL at the end of 2019. he kindly asked permission to visit.
Answer - not possible, so he drop the idea of possible joining :D

EzyBuildWing

Xenos Electric 2-seater Motorglider (Zero bike-motor) looks brilliant(see document below), but how about adding a 50lb Static-thrust AMT Olympus model-turbojet engine (weighs 6 lbs) above rear fuse (similar config. to "Jet Sonex")?
Jet assisted take-off, jet cruise, awesome-sound kerosene-dream fly-by, twin engine safety, log cheap jet-time, etc etc.....!
Youtube vid shows the Xenos Electric Zero doing a 12kW take-off!
Would be a fantastic combination that would excite the masses!

The Electric Sonex Xenos

John.Roo

Must be some kind of company culture.
My Jr (25) (A and H pilot and engineer, now doing his ATPL), was interested to join.
On his way back from some H training in NL at the end of 2019. he kindly asked permission to visit.
Answer - not possible, so he drop the idea of possible joining :D
Well... reason is probably they didn´t had something to show.
First "wow" effect has been done with scale model.
I don´t like scale models as "approval of concept" because weight/power ratio is totally different.
Lets see how this issue will end....

John.Roo

Xenos Electric 2-seater Motorglider (Zero bike-motor) looks brilliant(see document below), but how about adding a 50lb Static-thrust AMT Olympus model-turbojet engine (weighs 6 lbs) above rear fuse (similar config. to "Jet Sonex")?
Jet assisted take-off, jet cruise, awesome-sound kerosene-dream fly-by, twin engine safety, log cheap jet-time, etc etc.....!
Youtube vid shows the Xenos Electric Zero doing a 12kW take-off!
Would be a fantastic combination that would excite the masses!

The Electric Sonex Xenos
I am not sure if the "smell of kerosine" and noisy "jet sound" is somethink I really need for flying with motorglider, but why not? :cool:

EzyBuildWing

Electric Xenos Tri-motor.....Zero-eMotor up front, plus twin small JetCat turbines down the back.... JetCat turbines come with brushless starter-generators so they're actually also functional "range-extenders" too!
Optional use of JetCats for max-thrust JATO (Jet Assisted Take Off), or also for use if one wants to cruise at higher altitude where the air is thinner(Lear Jet altitude).
Clearly, this would be a "bucket-list" twin-jet aluminium pop-riveted airplane...easily buildable, inexpensive, 2-seats, with state-of-the-art electric motive power as well!
If I remember correctly , there were "fast-build" airframe kits with everything CNC cut and drilled?
An electric-turbojet combo 2-seater.....pretty neat!

John.Roo

Touring motor gliding with Phoenix :)
One part of Doug flight in Utah had really nice numbers:
- flight time 7 hours 37 min
- engine time 27 min
- distance 338 miles (544 km)
- max. alt. 17 710 ft (5 400 m)

Last edited:

John.Roo

One of world first electric airplanes - e-Spyder.
Light, simple....
Equipped with a Yuneec Power Drive 20 20 kW (27 hp) electric motor and two 28 lb (13 kg) lithium-polymer battery packs which provide a 40 minute endurance. First flown in July 2009. Qualifies as a US single seat ultralight with an empty weight of 253 lb (115 kg).