What do you think about "e-soaring"?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

John.Roo

=this instalation was for 15 Ah A123 cells testing only...we by them circa 400 EUR,
for reinstalation (in place of 40 l tank).

=60 V, 45 Ah.

=we have FREERCHOBBY 500 A /120 V controllers,
and 154120 motor (1000 $ with shipping ) is in DHL hands...

=variant for RETAIRED & HOMELESS...

=complite fuselage with E-Drive is 55 kg weight.
I like design of Freerchobby motors.
01_61fd074f-be5d-4f74-94e4-fdb4f3363f8b_1024x1024@2x.jpg
Price for 40 kW motor and controller is really good.
Looking for low price components is not a wrong way - our first electra D-14 has been assembled exactly the same way :) Only you have to spent more time during ground testing to see real limits.

Speedboat100

Banned
I like design of Freerchobby motors.
View attachment 106327
Price for 40 kW motor and controller is really good.
Looking for low price components is not a wrong way - our first electra D-14 has been assembled exactly the same way :) Only you have to spent more time during ground testing to see real limits.

Funny...but in my craft 2 of those would pull the plane vertically up ( with normal pilot ) !

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Dale Kramer's electric Lazair was single float mounted and ergo a seaglider? Are there any other examples of electric powered seagliders or amphibious gliders?

John.Roo

It would be an undertaking to convert to electric?
I don´t know exact technical specification but Skigull looks very efficient.

On Wiki is interesting info:
The SkiGull performed water tests in October 2015. It has two 12 hp electric motors for docking, but they can also fly the plane 8 miles without the piston engine.
  • Crew: one
  • Capacity: one passenger
  • Wingspan: 47 ft (14 m)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912iS air and liquid-cooled, horizontally opposed piston aircraft engine, 100 hp (75 kW)
  • Powerplant: 2 × electric motors , 12 hp (8.9 kW) each

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I don´t know exact technical specification but Skigull looks very efficient.

On Wiki is interesting info:
The SkiGull performed water tests in October 2015. It has two 12 hp electric motors for docking, but they can also fly the plane 8 miles without the piston engine.
  • Crew: one
  • Capacity: one passenger
  • Wingspan: 47 ft (14 m)
  • Powerplant: 1 × Rotax 912iS air and liquid-cooled, horizontally opposed piston aircraft engine, 100 hp (75 kW)
  • Powerplant: 2 × electric motors , 12 hp (8.9 kW) each
I never paid that much attention to it, interesting.

John.Roo

"Who am I to criticize or improve the design work of the legendary Burt Rutan?"

Just.... in my opinion... I would make tandem propulsion configuration and install only one 20 kW (or even bit more) electric motor as pusher. Like is done on Dornier Seastar (only as mentionned - one motor should be electric).
seastar2.jpg

Would be easy to use electric motor for reversing (easy parking / docking). Skigull seems to be very efficient so even with low capacty battery you could have interesting endurance.

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
What is the prejudice of 3 motors/engines? It is a design challenge but mostly perceived in my opinion. With glider it is at least somewhat more understandable as flight is sustainable without propulsion but 3 engines are all smaller than each of the 2. Smaller diameter, less power draw for each. Especially for touring glider your choices could be enhanced you could have all propellers stopped (by a number of means) or you could have one propeller working or only two or all three depending on calculated requirements. On the water a aircrafts tendency to face the wind cannot be overstated. Water handling asymmetrical thrust is nice.

I mean 99.999% of the people who want a propeller on a glider will want just the one, but for the other 0.0001% of the people who want more than one then two or three what's the big deal?

3 propeller phobia is a disease to be avoided eh?

John.Roo

What is the prejudice of 3 motors/engines? It is a design challenge but mostly perceived in my opinion. With glider it is at least somewhat more understandable as flight is sustainable without propulsion but 3 engines are all smaller than each of the 2. Smaller diameter, less power draw for each. Especially for touring glider your choices could be enhanced you could have all propellers stopped (by a number of means) or you could have one propeller working or only two or all three depending on calculated requirements. On the water a aircrafts tendency to face the wind cannot be overstated. Water handling asymmetrical thrust is nice.

I mean 99.999% of the people who want a propeller on a glider will want just the one, but for the other 0.0001% of the people who want more than one then two or three what's the big deal?

3 propeller phobia is a disease to be avoided eh?
"3 propeller phobia is a disease to be avoided eh?" :)
I have no problem with "3 prop phobia". Is just against my "keep it simple" rule. 2 electric motors = 2 controllers. 2 smaller props are usually more noisy. And finally... it will be more expensive.
Plus - not everybody is trainied for assymetrical thrust so in case of one electric motor failure you need to have a system switching off the other one (this is really existing requirement).
So why should I make my life more complicated? :)

blane.c

HBA Supporter
You have not encountered in aviation the fools that I have obviously. I wish you continued ignorance of them and I physically "knock on wood" (just rapped). I would relate to you a story(s) sometime if you would be in the mood. So it would depend where you are going and what terrain is under you the propulsion you may desire.

jedi

Sahuarita Arizona, Renton Washington, USA
You have not encountered in aviation the fools that I have obviously. I wish you continued ignorance of them and I physically "knock on wood" (just rapped). I would relate to you a story(s) sometime if you would be in the mood. So it would depend where you are going and what terrain is under you the propulsion you may desire.
I am ready for the story.

If three low cost model motors with folding propellers are used it may be a lower cost. All motors do not need to be the same. A powerful center line thrust with smaller left and right motors greatly reduces the engine out asymmetry.

Look at the Ski Gull again. It's Burt's idea.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I am ready for the story.

If three low cost model motors with folding propellers are used it may be a lower cost. All motors do not need to be the same. A powerful center line thrust with smaller left and right motors greatly reduces the engine out asymmetry.
I will blow hard later (have to put in floor in bathroom first).

Well I've been thinking there is much to do about nothing as far as asymmetrical thrust goes on the one hand because the power needed for these machines is so minimal in the first place divided by three it is hard for me to imagine that anyone is really going to have much issue controlling it. That said however rudder trim becomes obligatory because holding pressure becomes a nuisance. It is easy for me to imagine two smaller motors used primarily for take-off and climb then props stopped and a center motor for sustain. If the center motor is roughly twice the power of the asymmetrical motors then they would have even less influence on yaw.

Of course the sailplane could start manifesting warts like a Toad, it would have to be done inventively not to be visually disturbing.