1/2 of pictured...

=ACCUs in place of 40-liter tank.

=with BKB1 wings L/D circa 25.

Attachments

Last edited:

henryk

=ACCUs in place of 40-liter tank.
=todays battery weight and price is hard to accept,

after some tests and replacing 20280 (KV=25/80) to the high RPM BLDC (no need in belt multiplicator) we are thinking about simple DC Range Extender,
based on good Power/Weight 2T ICM...

John.Roo

=todays battery weight and price is hard to accept,

after some tests and replacing 20280 (KV=25/80) to the high RPM BLDC (no need in belt multiplicator) we are thinking about simple DC Range Extender,
based on good Power/Weight 2T ICM...
My opinion - keep it simple :)
For first test flights install only electric propulsion or only IC motor. You have aerodynamically good design (expected L/D 25:1) so no need of high power.

When you expect to make a first flight?

henryk

My opinion - keep it simple :)
For first test flights install only electric propulsion or only IC motor. You have aerodynamically good design (expected L/D 25:1) so no need of high power.

When you expect to make a first flight?
=we hope soon, todays winter is calm...

-before 3-KINGS (holydays) Bogdan with Friend (Wojtek) help should make
new PARABEAM wings=

Attachments

rod austin

ICE MOTORGLIDER powertrain conversion to ELECTRIC?????
Help.... I am going into uncharted territory but maybe not for a lot of you guys. I will find a good A&P. I.E. can a used Phoenix glider with and ICE be converted to an electric???. I like the idea of utilizing all of the components taken out of a zero motorcycle(time-tested components that are properly matched and this maneuver has been done many times by other airplane builders). Does changing the powertrain affect the fact that it is a registered self launching motor glider. Is approval needed for this type of maneuver. When flying solo... Most of the time... I would like to have welded a special holder for the second seat to hold an additional battery to plug into a for powered flight time extension(the useful load would allow for this extra weight). Thank you for your help!

John.Roo

ICE MOTORGLIDER powertrain conversion to ELECTRIC?????
Help.... I am going into uncharted territory but maybe not for a lot of you guys. I will find a good A&P. I.E. can a used Phoenix glider with and ICE be converted to an electric???. I like the idea of utilizing all of the components taken out of a zero motorcycle(time-tested components that are properly matched and this maneuver has been done many times by other airplane builders). Does changing the powertrain affect the fact that it is a registered self launching motor glider. Is approval needed for this type of maneuver. When flying solo... Most of the time... I would like to have welded a special holder for the second seat to hold an additional battery to plug into a for powered flight time extension(the useful load would allow for this extra weight). Thank you for your help!
Hello!
When we started work on electric Phoenix U-15E I had condition that we will use standard Phoenix fuselage. So frame holding front battery and electric motor is using exactly the same fitting points like Rotax engine bed. Cowling is a bit different (no need openings for large water cooler and exhuast). All this had one reason - to allow in future to convert every Rotax version of Phoenix into electric version.
To keep same CG position in electric and Rotax Phoenix we have three battery packs. 1x 70 kg in the front and 2x 40 kg in wings (replacing weight of 50 lit. of fuel). But is also possible to use luggage place behind the seats or (as mentionned) co-pilot seat. Just think about fact, that installation of battery behind pilot must be tested for 12G load.
I agree that combination of Phoenix airframe and ZERO motorcycle components is really interesting option :) I am sure you will find soon a lot of interesting and usefull informations about ZERO propulsion system here
Best regards!
Martin

John.Roo

2021... what can we expect?

I'm afraid that we can forget about big exhibitions. AERO Friedrichshafen is likely to be canceled again. I only hope that COVID will allow us at least to fly and continue with e-testing...
However I don´t like to write negative news - we all have enough COVID informations from TV and Internet.

IC propulsion systems....
Interesting is that Rotax is very succesfull with Rotax 915i. I was expecting that development of aviation combustion propulsion systems will follow automotive industry trying to decrease fuel consumption. But seems that is more important to get higher power for higher costs, higher weight and higher fuel consumption.

Electric propulsion systems...
In 2021 I don´t expect batteries with significantelly higher capacity / weight. But would be nice to see price decreasing for actual models of cells (18650 and 21700). Available electric motors and controllers are +-covering complete power range for one ad two seat sport planes. They are coming new types and new producers so hopefully we will see some price decreasing due to "competition".
Nice is also idea to use existing propulsion system from ZERO motorcycle. Weight of batteries is bit higher in compare with custom made battery packs, but it is a complete system incl. all necessary components (motor, controller, charger etc.) and it allows to connect easily another battery into system to increase capacity.

Range extenders....
Seems that hydrogen is now most popular alternative power source. Large airplane producers are showing nice renders of H2 airliners. Well - I can imagine infrastructure for H2 "refueling" on big airports.
Combustion range extenders are also more "visible". Drones are popular and they typically need more power so small range extenders are apearing on market. I would like to test one with 10-15 kW output :)

I beleive we can expect to see on the sky more and more electric airplanes and that is good. If prices of electric propulsion systems will go down it means that pilot can choose what he prefers. For self launch gliders and motorgliders is electric propulsion interesting choice already :) When I read about all restrictions for car producers I can´t imagine that sport aviation will by not affected by the same "green" policy in future. So it will be good to be prepared with alternatives :)

henryk

I don´t like to write negative news

=bischen POSITIVE=its a pity=no english version...

-more on FACEBOOK...

Last edited:

John.Roo

“No negative news” = I don’t like to repeat how badly is aviation affected by COVID. All about development is positive ;-) And glider with H2 range extender definitelly interesting is. I hope they they will receive permission for test flying ASAP.

lear999wa

Hi all,
For your listing pleasure I have attached a podcast link on Gabriels electric Xenos build. Very informative, Gabriel goes into quite some detail about his background in electric flight as well as with Zero motorcycles. Well worth a listen should you find yourself with over an hour to spare.