Quantcast

What do you think about "e-soaring"?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

John.Roo

The aircraft has three 72 kWh batteries, each with 6,000 lithium-ion battery cells and weighing 450 kilograms (992 lbs.). That’s more than a ton and half of batteries — quite a lot for a small plane.

3x 72 kWh = 216 kWh
3x 450 kg = 1 350 kg of batteries.... that is really a lot!
1603078864501.png

RR.jpg

John.Roo

Racing airplanes are nice for PR, however the Rolls Royce ACCEL project is bit far from "affordable" way of sport electric aviation :) Nevertheless - I like to follow news about this electric "speedster".

Going back to airplanes with MTOM arroung 600 kg....
Max. battery weight is +-150 kg keeping usefull load at at least 160 kg (2x 80 kg pilots) or higher.
As mentionned our 150 kg = 35 kWh (using old 18650 Sony VTC6).

With better weigh/capacity ratio arround 300 Wh/kg (45 kWh) you could fly 3,5 hours (+safety reserve) and make safe electric aerotowing with 90-100 kW (120-134 hp) power.

Dreaming even more - with 500 Wh/kg we would have 75 kWh capacity available = over 6 hours flight... That would be enough for one day :) Than 9-10 hours on "slow" 10 kW charger (overnight re-charge + balancing). This "slow" re-charge + balancing would give you as bonus very long battery life.

And if this will be true....
Innolith, the Switzerland-based company with labs in Germany, announced that it is developing the world's first rechargeable battery with an energy density of 1,000 Wh/kg (or simply 1 kWh per kg of weight). Expected in serial production in 2025.

....just imagine :)

opcod

The current tech give about 203w/kg, but there's about 6 different new tech in lab currently. Future will be good. But the concept of motorglider is the key here. Planning for cross country flight, just go with gaz. 1800w is way ahead of any batt and by the time you kill a brand new Rotax at 17k, you will had spend 60k for 2 full pack of battery. As they discharge and the 2hr flight you got at first became 1hr and less.. Pipistrel is the best example.

John.Roo

The current tech give about 203w/kg, but there's about 6 different new tech in lab currently. Future will be good. But the concept of motorglider is the key here. Planning for cross country flight, just go with gaz. 1800w is way ahead of any batt and by the time you kill a brand new Rotax at 17k, you will had spend 60k for 2 full pack of battery. As they discharge and the 2hr flight you got at first became 1hr and less.. Pipistrel is the best example.
I totally agree that for long non-stop cruise flight is difficult to make electric airplane comparable with Rotax. Fuel has much higher energy density - that is fact.
However.... this thread has been started to show that electric propulsion systems are already usable in soaring world. In self launch gliders, flight sustainers or motorgliders (I removed word "touring" on purpose).

Look here...
Local flights - for example over natural parks - are already possible with zero emissions.

Typical local flight done by aeroclub pilot with aeroclub airplane has duration less than 2 hours (mostly less than 1 hour). Actually is situation similar to situation with electric cars - electric propulsion is more expensive. But this will change - look to new prices of Rotax engines. We are slowly approaching situation when in some applications will be cheaper to use electric propulsion.

Actually I can transport in Phoenix 10 kW charger in luggage place. So even without existing net of superchargers I can still fly over 600 km a day. Just using 380 V / 16 (32) Amp socket - in EU available on all aeroclub airfields. And energy will cost less than 15 EUR.

Last edited:

John.Roo

The beauty of electric propulsion is that you don´t need systems like "START/STOP". You can use more power (climbing), less power (horizontal flight), very small power (gliding with "sponzored" L/D) or no power (gliding) - any time you think it makes sense. But again - actually makes electric propulsion best sense if you like to "play" with free energy given to glider pilots by nature :)

John.Roo

Well.... I am not sure about availabililty of thermonuclear power in sport aviation in near future, but solar panels with good efficiency (free energy from Sun) would help also :)

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Making the tail-boom with iron rich material and wrapped in copper wire will allow inductance while flying between high tension power lines enabling recharging while airborne. Added benefit is pilots will be "wide eyed" and alert.

Speedboat100

Making the tail-boom with iron rich material and wrapped in copper wire will allow inductance while flying between high tension power lines enabling recharging while airborne. Added benefit is pilots will be "wide eyed" and alert.

I bet Gotham City needs a new kinda soundless efficient electric AC.

"Haba haba you do you trust ?"

I am confident Winward finally got it right.

opcod

Indeed Martin, your bird is quite one of the best and i'm all in electric. I'm working for a duct fan project to fit a sailplane too. 3kw, plenty for the mission of going up 2 times for the day.
Also, did you plan for any wing extension on the Phoenix ?

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Ducted fan are generally most efficient below 100mph and above 200mph so they are in-efficient over much of the flight envelope of most light aircraft.

John.Roo

Indeed Martin, your bird is quite one of the best and i'm all in electric. I'm working for a duct fan project to fit a sailplane too. 3kw, plenty for the mission of going up 2 times for the day.
Also, did you plan for any wing extension on the Phoenix ?
Longer wing extensions for Phoenix? Like this 17 m version? :)
20190322_100125.jpg

3 kW duct fan for self launch glider project? Interesting :)