What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

peter hudson

FRC 25KW MP120100 KV50 Outrunner Brushless Motor

with

FRC 500A 28S HV ESC brushless speed controller

Operated at max. 16-18 kW (TO power) and 5-10 kW continuously....

Have a nice day!
Martin
That's one of the ones I use as a placeholder for my ultralight sailplane project. If my estimates are close I'll be running it at between 8 and 10 KW through the climb (5-10 minutes) and maybe a bit more to get off the runway. But I like the option to maybe bump it up to 12 KW continuous if I need a little more. I also like the form factor. Since my pod diameter will be defined by the motor it's nice for it to not be too much of a pancake.

John.Roo

Seems that finally somebody used electric car like a "powerbank" to recharge electric airplane :)

John.Roo

I know that is not easy to choose cheap electric propulsion system.
With unlimited budget I would go to MGM+Rotex or Geiger.... both are working well.

Turnigy is nice product, however max. available power is only 10 kW.
Therefore I was looking for some other "affordable" solution.
If wil be 60 V or 100 V doesn´t really matter to me.
I would choose lower Amps - if possible - but more important is simplicity and reliability and that is (as typical in aviation) long journey with a lot of tests... :)

blane.c

Supporting Member
Turnigy 10kw is 150kv so (14s recommended) 51.8v x 150 = 7,770 RPM? Can this RPM be practical? Maybe around 26" (0.66 Meter) propeller diameter (@ about 4/5 the speed of sound @ tips)? About 11" (0.275 M) of propeller sticking out in airstream on each side of the motor.

Also noise of anything turning that fast would make me want to place it on a drone and have the drone well behind the aircraft using a pusher stick.

Hmmm?

Last edited:

peter hudson

Turnigy 10kw is 150kv so (14s recommended) 51.8v x 150 = 7,770 RPM? Can this RPM be practical? Maybe around 26" (0.66 Meter) propeller diameter (@ about 4/5 the speed of sound @ tips)? About 11" (0.275 M) of propeller sticking out in airstream on each side of the motor.

Also noise of anything turning that fast would make me want to place it on a drone and have the drone well behind the aircraft using a pusher stick.

Hmmm?
I haven't looked at motor constants in a while but I think the Kv is "no load rpm" and the motor peak power is at about half that RPM which is still pretty fast at 3900 RPM

John.Roo

I also hope that Henryk is OK. It is unusual to don´t see his posts for 6 weeks.
From other point of view - winter is comming and I had also a lot of work to manage heating (gas price and electricity price raised a lot). Therefore I spent large amount of time cutting wood. Maybe he is solving similar problems....

John.Roo

By the way... actually is price of electricity in CR that high that operation of electric cars costs same /more than "normal" petrol cars. Especially when you cannot charge e-car at home.

It is not easy to produce with solar panels enough energy for electric car or large electric airplane.
However 5 kWh battery for small efficient e-glider needs just few solar panels on your hangar roof. Seems that soon will be necesary to think about whole "ecosystem" of "susstainable e-soaring" to stay totally independent 🤔

blane.c

Supporting Member
By the way... actually is price of electricity in CR that high that operation of electric cars costs same /more than "normal" petrol cars. Especially when you cannot charge e-car at home.

It is not easy to produce with solar panels enough energy for electric car or large electric airplane.
However 5 kWh battery for small efficient e-glider needs just few solar panels on your hangar roof. Seems that soon will be necesary to think about whole "ecosystem" of "susstainable e-soaring" to stay totally independent 🤔

I predict filling my yard with solar panels (and the various associated apparatus) will be unpopular with my wife and neighbors.

People are strange (weird) in that they want recycling but condemn people that "collect" as "hoarders". It is likely that a name will be coined for people putting up energy collecting sources as well. I suppose we are to leave it to the "professionals" and pay for it like "good citizens", it all makes me want to barf!

blane.c

Supporting Member
Like Salmon fishing in Alaska, it is for the "professionals". If you go fishing for Salmon without checking with Fish and Game to see if there is going to be an "escapement" timed with with when and where you want to fish, you are wasting your time ... as far as catching Salmon is concerned.

John.Roo

I can imagine that your yard covered by solar panels will not make your wife and neighbors happy 🤔 However solar panels on the house roof are already normally accepted.
If you don´t use electricity for heating than you need "acceptable" area ;)
Bigger problem is energy storage....
Battery from old electric car?
Or one electric car (like Ioniq 5 or F-150) used as powerbank? 🤔