What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

addaon

Supporting Member
I fly an intermediate wing.

Turbulence is lift. What would not be safe about it? Don’t bite your tongue if you get bumped, but that’s about it.

A multiple hour flight in a paraglider does not require a particularly strong day. With a sink rate of 200 ft/minute, any upward air motion greater than this can extend your flight. The only question is if you get enough lift out of it to make it on glide to the next lift… which depends heavily not just on how much lift is out there, but how many pilots (and birds!) are out looking for it.

Even on a mild to moderate day with thermal heating (so not over wet ground) it’s common to see 600 ft/minute on the vario, so air motion of at least 800 ft/minute. On active days vario peaks of 1400 ft/minute are about the most I regularly see; and yeah, thermal entry (and worse, unexpected exit) can get a bit bumpy then.

I think you’re underestimating the performance of paragliders, and overestimating the performance of glide ratio. For flight duration glide ratio only matters when seeking out the next lift. As a very early intermediate I got 4 hour flights on a wing with a 6:1 glide ratio — ridge lift makes this easy, since you know where it it. My current wing gets maybe 9:1 and I’ve had ten mile glides between thermals with no issues during five hours mountain flights.

Exian

For non-french speakers :
Basically a Silent 2 FES with flexible solar panels molded into the wing surface so that there is no drag penalty.
The guy flew around France this summer in complete autonomy :
Completing the charge of the batteries during the morning with the solar panels in order to be able to take of. Then fly with the thermals while recharging the batteries during the afternoon, the charge making possible to fly under power to reach the next airfield at the end of the day.

Not Bad, but probably expensive, Silent 2 FES is already well over 100 000€.
Solar panel adaptation is "homebuilt"

addaon

Supporting Member
Wing collapses happen, especially tip wags (less than 20% of the wing area collapsing) when approaching a thermal from the side. Wing collapses above 100 ft altitude are not considered a high risk maneuver, and are not a risk to be avoided, so much as a normal operation to be mitigated (“active piloting” is the main skill after kiting that we teach beginners, and reduces both the occurrence and severity of collapses). Think of it as a stall in a sailplane or power plane — if you’re at altitude it’s no big deal, and you’ll do it deliberately for practice sometimes. If you handle it truly poorly it can mature into a spin (both in the fixed wing stall case, and the paraglider collapse case) and that’s a higher-risk maneuver, but it’s not in itself a problem.

proppastie

Supporting Member

henryk

Neat ducted-fans paramotor....looks cool!

=very promised,light technology...

iff + kevlar in place of GF =more SAFETY !

BTW=very simple and ENERGYEFFICIENT CRDiff is better solution

Attachments

• 20200714_230334.jpg
    20200714_230334.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200812_200853.jpg
    20200812_200853.jpg
    229.9 KB · Views: 0

addaon

Supporting Member
Yeah. If you want candidates for electrification with current day tech, look in the other direction. Something like an AN-2, reduced to a two seater, with everything else stripped and all payload batteries starts getting close.