What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

John.Roo

Sonex and Gabriel DeVault have partnered to create an electric kitplane 👍

henryk

electric kitplane

-not kitplane yet,
but big videostory/raport of energyefficient motors and amphibian construction ...<115 kg !!!

PS= constructor Anatoly is hard working for getting money (costly magnets,
avia materials...)

Last edited:

henryk

eParamotor technology looks awesome.....

=analogy to the IC engine thrusters...

=ultra compact !

(iff +DUDEK RUN&FLY paraglider<1 kg !!!)

=or +30 % thruct in CRFLIGT mode thruster...

PS=my hope=Anatolys modyfied DC motor should gain economy of e-flyes !

Attachments

• 20200714_230412.jpg
    20200714_230412.jpg
    240.5 KB · Views: 0
  • 20200714_230334.jpg
    20200714_230334.jpg
    496.9 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

addaon

Supporting Member
I have an electric paramotor, and I honestly think it’s the wrong solution. Due to limited battery life, it’s really only useful as a self-launcher to then soar with — but the system is heavy and high drag (cage, etc) when off.

I think the better solution would be an oversized hexacopter that towed you up (towing on a paraglided is well understood and works fine), and then on release autonomously returned to the LZ. Performance in tow should be similar per pound of towcopter compared to a traditional paramotor, but it would literally go away when not used.

Last edited:

peter hudson

I have an electric paramotor, and I honestly think it’s the wrong solution. Due to limited battery life, it’s really only useful as a self-launcher to then soar with — but the system is heavy and high drag (cage, etc) when off.

I think the better solution would be an oversized hexacopter that towed you up (towing on a paraglided is well understood and works fine), and then on release autonomously returned to the LZ. Performance in tow should be similar per pound of towcopter compared to a traditional paramotor, but it would literally go away when not used.
I had originally thought a good free flight PG wing and a light motor like the miniplane would make a good soarable system, but like you say, the weight and drag hurt it a lot. But worse for me is that when flying in good lift filled air, you have more issues with the high rotational inertia of the motor and more snag inducing bits adding risk to any collapse funny business. So with a motor on I never felt as comfortable in turbulent air.

I too had though about a motor system that could fly back to base on it's own (the original 4 motor open PPG project is pretty close to a 4 rotor drone strapped to your back.) But really, if you where to work that all out, you still just climb up over your car some where then glide around. It would be more reasonable to use a ground based electric winch.

But it does make me think about why I want to put a motor pod on my ultralight sailplane rather than an electric winch on my truck. In the end though, the extra versatility of having the pod with you lets you move around more.

Last edited:

peter hudson

[snip]. And ground based winches (in my experience) require a separate operator.
After watching several youtube videos of remotely (pilot) operated electric winches for paragliders, I've had to doubt my assumptions on that.

How much safety does the ground operator add? Assuming the pilot has a good release mechanism and maybe a hook knife at his end, and uses a procedure that prevents a random "winch on" being a serious problem.

I've never heard of an ultralight glider doing it though. I don't see how the pilot of one could get all strapped in and THEN hook up to the winch. And I'm not sure you could otherwise ensure a premature "winch on" failure wouldn't be a major issue. I think that could be designed into a tow hook though. (maybe it could be hooked-up, but only hold a few pounds until the strapped in pilot does a secondary step prior to launch.)

Anyway, the stuff on the ground can be a lot heavier and more robust and probably cheaper than anything that flies along with the pilot until the launch is complete.

addaon

Supporting Member
Yeah, I’ve done plenty of ridge soaring for hours. Flat land I’ve done a few hour-plus flights during SIV lunch (so 5k tow behind a boat over water to start). And mountain launches, obviously.