What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

John.Roo

Tandem wing does away with down force of horizontal tail. Bi-wing does not. Nenadovic' bi-wing creates deep laminar flow over forward wing for better overall efficiency, tit for tat or?
It was just a sample that in UAV world are already solar powered projects common ;)
Each producer has a different approach.... But why not? If is prototype "small and light" is easier to get permission to fly (no pilot aboard). For bigger versions is probably more paperwork required, however in US are large areas where can be UAV tests without danger to damage some houses. In EU is actually more complicated - even RC model require registration....

Point is.... we can see many UAV types so there is also possibility that someone will use Nenadovic design ;)

John.Roo

During the past week, two electric cars in CR caught fire while charging... Both at home = no high charging power 🤔

I was fan batteries in the wings. It means lower load of fuselage. But seems that priority should be possibility of easy manipulation and simple battery removal.
I still believe that even homebuild e-instalation can be safe, however 6 kWh = 2x 15 kg and that is not so bad for manipulation ;)

henryk

there is any application where Kasper wing could not be used

="thanks" ! You are right...

f.e. quick removable in wings batterys ("soft packets") ?

=A-22 GRS system like !

Attachments

• WhatsApp Image 2022-05-11 at 20.45.00.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-05-11 at 20.45.00.jpeg
    126.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

John.Roo

e-Genius hybrid flown 2 003 km... 👍
"Klaus Ohlmann and Jonas Lay in the one-and-only eGenius just completed a 2,003 kilometer (1,244 mile) trip from Germany to the Atlantic Ocean on the southern tip of France and return. The numbers are spectacular. The flight averaged 190.36 kilometers per hour (118.28 mph) and its hybrid power system consumed a mere 81 liters of fuel. That works out to 24.72 kilometers per liter or 58.15 mpg."
1659844344459.png

John.Roo

e-Genius, Sunseeker Duo.... very nice projects with great performance. Each have his own approach to low emission sport flying, but both are looking great.

Question is - is market interested in such a planes? For serial production and standard use would be probably necessary to make small improvements, but finally we could have planes able to fly long distance with low (zero) emissions. So why we don´t see any signs that serial production of such a planes will be started? Both prototypes are showing ability to fly and they both obtained registration and permission to fly.
Is reason too high price? Complexity?
Seems a bit strange to me.....

Sraight'nlevel

=yes !

-after allmost vertical start from 40 m (NO "taxii , autostabil "S"-shape airfoil) ! Jan gained speed and then Hi was fly
at very low altitude, circa 1 m , (ground effect ,gained L/D )=so long distance as hill was.
Has anyone been able to dublicate Jan's accomplishment with similar apparatus ?

henryk

Has anyone been able to dublicate Jan's accomplishment with similar apparatus ?

-yes,I try, at first with "today" technology (8 kg !),
after fly tests=from halve 19 Century materials (wood,linen sail, skeen riemens...)

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-10-10 images (obraz JPEG, 259×194 pikseli) (2).png
    Screenshot_2020-10-10 images (obraz JPEG, 259×194 pikseli) (2).png
    518.8 KB · Views: 0

John.Roo

Maybe production is supposed to happen elsewhere? The solar panels may have been produced in a quantity for a “stunt” but otherwise unavailable?
That is possible.... maybe they used special solar panels... that would explain why is not "serial" produced Sunseeker Duo.
However hybrid like e-Genius is not using any special technology.

I hope that at least Elfin will make soon first flight....
1660017383681.png

John.Roo

=on fuselage top=cooling air inlet ?

(power of IC engine ?)

BTW= 1866, not hybrid, ONLY 3-4 km distances...

Well.... every country has some legends.
It they are true or not is difficult to say.
I personally believe that in this case is really possible that pilot did some succesfull "jumps" or "short flights". Jan Wnek did his tests during practically same years like Otto Lilienthal.
I can imagine that with good weather condidions (and very optimistic point of view) he could make flights between 30 m to 400 m.
But 3-4 km? 🤔

henryk

But 3-4 km?
=with greate probability...(on ground effeckt/ecran augmented L/D )

=1866-69 ! (in 69, after hard landing was dead...)

=2022 =was finde His body,with brokan two arms !

Last edited:

John.Roo

=with greate probability...(on ground effeckt/ecran augmented L/D )

=1866-69 ! (in 69, after hard landing was dead...)

=2022 =was finde His body,with brokan two arms !

Henryk you know perfectly what means to fly 3-4 km in "ground efect" - you flown personally many times with hang glider ;)
I can only repeat that in year 1866 even 30 meters flight would be great success.

Article says that he was "jumping from bell tower" and during his last flight he crashed in distance between 500 - 1 300 m from tower.
If he was "jumping from bell tower" than is difficult to imagine how he was using ground effect.
Tower height is not mentionned - you wrote 40 m.
3-4 km distance from 40 m altitude?
I really can´t imagine help of ground effect on that distance.
And if he really used ground effect, than fall from 1 m would be not catastrophic.

Legends are..... legends.
Nice to imagine, but is better not think about legends too techically ;)
In any case was Jan Wnek really interesting person 👍

John.Roo

When e-Genius has been "only" battery powered, they did also nice flights 👍

Interesting info at the end of video....
First flight - 325 km distance and 40 kWh of energy has been used.
Flight back - 365 km distance and 43 kWh of energy used.
During both flights they flown at 4 000 m altitude (13 000 ft).

And e-Genus ILA 2012 presentation....

Last edited: