What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

blane.c

Supporting Member
As you mentionned is previous posts.... you can recharge the e-glider from solar panels and as bonus cell (or use) redundant energy.

When you once have electric e-glider you can convert it in future (when solar panels are lighter or more efficient) into e-glider with solar range extender.
Thinking about that.... this could be a good PR for Electra Trainer. Info that in future will be possible to make modification and buy new wings wirh solar panels 🤔

I don´t understand this part:
"It would benefit general aviation including gliding if language was put into legislation to protect us or include us somehow."
What kind of protection do we need? 🤔

I would be personally happy for small "help" with weights....
For example Class 120 in Germany.
MTOM is OK, stal speed is OK, just EW 120 kg is a bit too low.
For airplanes with electric propulsion would be 150 kg EW good help 👍

In US would be necessary to change FAR 103 rules a lot, but it could also help to homebuilders with their e-airplanes experiments.

I would love to say that next logical step is electric two seater. Something like this...

Now imagine solar panels on the wings and 18 m wing span (L/D arround 40:1) 🤗
However certification costs will make practically impossible for a homebuilder....

Favorable (to us) legislation would benefit general aviation because when electricity is beamed it will be for military and transport and the very rich. Beamed electricity will create huge blocks of airspace that you have to fly around or risk being turned into something like a thawed frozen dinner. Beamed electricity is not benign.

henryk

something for practical use...

=russian have made big superconducting motors (allmost 100 % efficiency),
but NO such battery,only hybrid system.

blane.c

Supporting Member
Comparing efficiency alone is incomplete. Weight and complexity have to be part of the decision process too. I might prefer a slightly less efficient motor if it has no additional moving or wear parts or if it weighs less.

Sraight'nlevel

Airplane with size of Pilatus PC-6 with electric propulsion?
I can imagine that it is possible ;)
But... is it practical? 🤔

Electric Cessna Caravan, Electric Beaver - nice samples of actual possibilities.... and limitations. Lets try to make something for practical use ;)
It seems to be very very difficult to make existing IC powered ( let alone turbine ) aeroplanes into electric conversions.