What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

blane.c

Supporting Member
If would be made from composite than will be weight difference very small. Especially in case of short wing span.

I am still moving and do not have much time for clarity but this may be better than what you are presently thinking ... which is rather ugly, ... shame on you.

A quick and dirty sketch of the wings, try to imagine they are on a glider fuselage with an extra section of length to support the second wing.

TOP VIEW

Quick and dirty1.jpg
END VIEWQuick and dirty 2.jpg

REAR VIEW
Quick and dirty 3.jpg

FRONT VIEWQuick and dirty 4.jpg

FRONT VIEW ISOQuick and dirt 5.jpg

So again quick and dirty but I think even this crude much more elegant than whatever was going on in your head.

So about 13.5m span each wing (less on bottom more on top) 2.9m chord each wing. EDIT; 0.884 m (2.9 feet) chord.

I have been toying around with idea of symmetrical airfoil in lower/aft wing and it is exaggerated.

Obviously wing tips need cleaned up but should get the general idea across.

I will have more time soon relatively speaking, a couple of months more.

Last edited:

John.Roo

I am still moving and do not have much time for clarity but this may be better than what you are presently thinking ... which is rather ugly, ... shame on you.

A quick and dirty sketch of the wings, try to imagine they are on a glider fuselage with an extra section of length to support the second wing.

TOP VIEW

View attachment 126877
END VIEWView attachment 126878

REAR VIEW
View attachment 126879

FRONT VIEWView attachment 126882

FRONT VIEW ISOView attachment 126884

So again quick and dirty but I think even this crude much more elegant than whatever was going on in your head.

So about 13.5m span each wing (less on bottom more on top) 2.9m chord each wing. EDIT; 0.884 m (2.9 feet) chord.

I have been toying around with idea of symmetrical airfoil in lower/aft wing and it is exaggerated.

Obviously wing tips need cleaned up but should get the general idea across.

I will have more time soon relatively speaking, a couple of months more.
Sorry for my "drawings" of Nenadovic biplane. I have no source to get better ones. Therefore I was asking for small "imagination help" ;)

So wing span is 13,5 m for each wing?
Wow....
Honestly I expected that one of advantages are smaller dimensions.
Well, in this case will be size comparable with "standard glider design" and weight significantly higher in compare with "standard glider design".
Wing area will be much higher, but it will be very dificult to keep EW under 120 kg....
And how about the control lines - do you need ailerons (or flaps or flaperons or airbrakes...) on both wings?

blane.c

Supporting Member
Sorry for my "drawings" of Nenadovic biplane. I have no source to get better ones. Therefore I was asking for small "imagination help" ;)

So wing span is 13,5 m for each wing?
Wow....
Honestly I expected that one of advantages are smaller dimensions.
Well, in this case will be size comparable with "standard glider design" and weight significantly higher in compare with "standard glider design".
Wing area will be much higher, but it will be very dificult to keep EW under 120 kg....
And how about the control lines - do you need ailerons (or flaps or flaperons or airbrakes...) on both wings?

That was just rough and quick to show it doesn't have to look like a lumpy turd.

More refined may be closer to 10m span.

Ailerons will kinda' look like these maybe? But may extend above/below one/both wings? This style is reported to reduce adverse aileron yaw so smaller rudder will be necessary?
1655713078478.png

John.Roo

That was just rough and quick to show it doesn't have to look like a lumpy turd.

More refined may be closer to 10m span.

Ailerons will kinda' look like these maybe? But may extend above/below one/both wings? This style is reported to reduce adverse aileron yaw so smaller rudder will be necessary?
View attachment 126899
This version of "Nenadovic biplane" is OK ;)
Fuselage looks like a standard fuselage and "bi-wing" design looks acceptable.
Please don´t you have some more photos of this airplane from different angles?

John.Roo

Interesting thread;

See post #37

I know Concordia project - interesting 👍
And performance is impressive...
"The predicted performance is very impressive with max L/D in the +70 range and an L/D of 50 at 210 km/hr with full ballast."

Last edited:

blane.c

Supporting Member
This version of "Nenadovic biplane" is OK ;)
Fuselage looks like a standard fuselage and "bi-wing" design looks acceptable.
Please don´t you have some more photos of this airplane from different angles?

I don't want no stinking standard fuselage. Nausea. I want elegant glider fuselage (except with elegant pregnant bulge [where I sit] {and extra fuselage length for second wing}).

In beautiful balloon colors.

Bi-wing design in picture is acceptable is major understatement for airplane. Not a good picture for glider. Much stealing of things that work, and modifications for glider ... ... E-electric motor powered glider with solar cells.

Major thing wrong is wings are to short and stubby to be glider. They need to be longer and beautiful for glider to be gorgeous. I ain't going to help design ugly turd.

I have Real estate agent coming over in two days to appraise this house, Already bought and moving stuff into new house. Big things left to move are ultralight in it's trailer, RV trailer, 2 1/2 ton lathe. When this house sells much more time to make realistic sense out of my minds ideas {thanks to all from homebuilt airplanes.com} [with many special mentions].

Last edited:

blane.c

Supporting Member
I know Concordia project - interesting 👍
And performance is impressive...
"The predicted performance is very impressive with max L/D in the +70 range and an L/D of 50 at 210 km/hr with full ballast."

Nice looking aircraft.

blane.c

Supporting Member
I am not emerged from cocoon. Still evolving but hard lean to solar powered E-motor glider. You I think could do without the solar in the air. Seriously not that far a part at least ideologically regards flight and passion. I cannot say Nenadovic' bi-wing is right, I can say it deserves respect.

blane.c

Supporting Member
The "so called advantage" of a solar powered aircraft is that with a balance of batteries, charging, and altitude gain during the daylight hours you can maintain sufficient altitude at night to rinse and repeat.

This is not realistically possible with E-motor glider.

So E-motor glider is for daytime pleasure, not exclusively but when we are talking practicality as it pertains to gliders. Whereas Solar powered can be more readily cross country from a practicality point of view though not necessarily as much for pleasure. If I wanted pure pleasure from a flying craft and also independence well E-motor glider is tops on my list. The more I want utility then the more I want solar. If I want to exclude ICE.

It is all about infrastructure isn't it? If someone has the money to build a sufficiently large craft to contain batteries and mount solar panels and be within flight envelope ... ... well Woo-Hoo! So why we are in this forum on this thread is likely we do not have this kind of money. Therefore the need for magic dust (at a fair price) is obvious. Sprinkle some magic dust "tada" it works! Oh what a magical world we live in.

What? No magic dust? Oops! Back to finding more practical alternatives to the mundane.