What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

blane.c

Supporting Member
Airspeed is a good pitch indicator (faster going down, slower going up) for small corrections. A sensitive VSI (variometer) is usually in a glider and an altimeter so basic pitch is covered with these. A simple inclinometer will tell you yaw. So then the hard one, bank, or roll a good heading instrument will tell you if you are turning but really you need some kind of gyro to know if the wings are level or if you are banked.

Last edited:

John.Roo

Why don't you like pre-preg? It seems a preferred way to get proper plastic to fiber ratio? It also will tolerate higher temperatures before melting so better for painting bright colors?
As mentionned - one reason is price.
Another reason is storage - usually must be prepreg material stored in low temperatures.
And last reason - work complexity. To achieve really perfect results you must use autoclave.

Last edited:

John.Roo

Airspeed is a good pitch indicator (faster going down, slower going up) for small corrections. A sensitive VSI (variometer) is usually in a glider and an altimeter so basic pitch is covered with these. A simple inclinometer will tell you yaw. So then the hard one, bank, or roll a good heading instrument will tell you if you are turning but really you need some kind of gyro to know if the wings are level or if you are banked.

Once I spoke with really experienced pilot and I asked him what is most important instrument in the cockpit.
He answered - "oil pressure" 😊 And than he explained me that pilot of small planes (UL, LSA etc.) can feel speed in control lines, can see altitude and unless you make precise landings you don´t need to know exactly how many m/s you are climbing orgoing down.
Of course this is not applicable for standard flying.

What I would say...
You must see perfectly speed. And in plane like e-glider is good to have good variometer with adjustable acoustic option.
Altimeter you need because of controlled areas and slip ball (or cotton glued in the front of pilot on plexi) shows you how coordinated are your turns ;)
Than you need e-propulsion monitoring system with basic info (RPM, power, battery capacity, temperature) and well set alerts (temp, low battery capacity, maybe also max. actually available power).

They are available combined instruments like S100 from LXNAV.
1653891467284.png
Allowing also AHRS option with g-meter etc.
1653891621640.png
As EPMS (Electric Propulsion Monitoring System) this could be good enough...
1653891770908.png
And than is good to have somewhere place for navigation screen (tablet, mobile phone...) - ideally in the front of pilot.
Even LK8000 (free software for glider pilots) is able to give you info about climbing during one turn to make precise lift centering.
1653892005219.png
So instrument panel is just question of available space (usually very small) and nice "practical"design ;)

BJC

Supporting Member
Once I spoke with really experienced pilot and I asked him what is most important instrument in the cockpit.
He answered - "oil pressure" 😊 And than he explained me that pilot of small planes (UL, LSA etc.) can feel speed in control lines, can see altitude and unless you make precise landings you don´t need to know exactly how many m/s you are climbing orgoing down.
I recently had a total EFIS failure in flight - it went black. The only indication that I really missed was the oil pressure. But I was near home, so I wasn’t concerned about fuel. There was a short discussion here about your question a few years ago. My answer; fuel quantity.p, but IIRC, no one agreed.

BJC

Vigilant1

Supporting Member
There was a short discussion here about your question a few years ago. My answer; fuel quantity.p, but IIRC, no one agreed.
BJC
FWIW, I've never had much confidence in the C-152 fuel gauges- too hard to read accurately even if the needles weren't bouncing all over. I always depended on my watch/timer instead. Conversely, the dependability of the fuel gauge on my Sonex (a clear sight tube) is very reassuring. No sensors, wiring, gauges, not even a cork and wire to possibly hang up. Strangely, seeing the actual fuel is comforting, if Neanderthal. But pretty hard to implement in an electric-powered plane

Last edited:
Reactions: BJC

blane.c

Supporting Member
It would be a dream come true to have an electric glider 42:1 with solar panels to recharge (even if not on the wings) so not dependent on the grid at all. Oh yes one other thing a loud color, obnoxiously loud to many. ... ... one other thing, the cockpit kinda' "Blimpy".

We all have our fantasies.

Sometimes "fat" people have money.

Last edited: