What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

blane.c

Much instrument approach work is based off the "five mile fix", as the name implies it is approximately five miles from the runway (not always exact but always close) and about 1,500 feet above the threshold (not always exact but always close) so universally you know when you get to the "five mile fix" you need to descend at about 300ft per mile.

John.Roo

When do we talk about soaring....and when just a motorplane ?

Is it the span ?

Is 12,2 meters still a soarer and what about under 10 meter spanning plane?
SGS 1-26 is beautifull "oldtimer" glider 👍
Performance is OK for electric propulsion installation.
Glide ratio 23:1 is acceptable. Sink rate 0,88 m/s is also good.
The only problem is (as usually) EW vs MTOM....
Above written performance is for MTOM 700 lb (318 kg).
EW is 445 lb (202 kg).
In some old posts before we calculated +- min. weight of propulsion system (5 kWh / 30 kg battery, motor, controller, wiring....).
If you add min. 50 kg (propulsion) to EW + pilot weight (min. 200 lb) than is necessary to increase MTOM to +-770 lb (350 kg), probably a bit more.
Would be possible to increase MTOM legally?

I remember similar problem with ASK 14.

1652758604288.png

John.Roo

When do we talk about soaring....and when just a motorplane ?
Is it the span ?
Is 12,2 meters still a soarer and what about under 10 meter spanning plane?
It is not only about the wing span, however wing span and wing aspect ratio shows a lot.
I would personally look for combination of L/D, min, sink ratio and weight (EW and MTOM) ;)

Sraight'nlevel

It is not only about the wing span, however wing span and wing aspect ratio shows a lot.
I would personally look for combination of L/D, min, sink ratio and weight (EW and MTOM) ;)

Do you think a 9,4 m spanning 2 seat plane could still be a motor glider ?

John.Roo

Honestly.... no. At least not for me - I don´t know exact FAA (CAA) TMG definition.
Of course you can achieve interesting parameters even with low aspect ratio wing.
With large wing area you get low wing load etc.

I have been flying many times with 10-11 m wing span airplanes with engine off.
But even with "reasonable" L/D (a bit over 20:1) I could not reach "glider feeling".
12-13 m wing span starts to be interesting.
13-15 m is my favorite wing span.
Wing span over 15 m is of course even better, but than are starting problems with storage, strength testing etc.

blane.c

I don't know what country you are in. In the USA for experimental amateur built it is the box you check off on the application forms with the caveat that you will need a glider DAR to sign off on it. It would be wise to discuss with DAR what they find acceptable as a glider before building such a large lawn ornament. However for example this is a glider to at least one DAR;

PiperCruisin

In the US, I think Advisory Circular (AC) 21.17-2a covers this. Less than 0.62 lbs/ft2 span loading (Gross Weight / Span^2) and 850kg (1874 lbs) maximum weight.

I'm guessing that a 2 place, 9.4 m span would have a gross weight of about 500 kg. 9.4 m span would meet the requirement for a GW of 268 kg.

Sraight'nlevel

In the US, I think Advisory Circular (AC) 21.17-2a covers this. Less than 0.62 lbs/ft2 span loading (Gross Weight / Span^2) and 850kg (1874 lbs) maximum weight.

I'm guessing that a 2 place, 9.4 m span would have a gross weight of about 500 kg. 9.4 m span would meet the requirement for a GW of 268 kg.

Thank you....so wing loading is not a consideration at all.

blane.c

Wrong. (AC) 21.17 pertains to Type Certificated Gliders and is not pertinent to Experimental Amateur Built.

https://www.faa.gov/regulations_pol....cfm/go/document.information/documentID/22059

Sraight'nlevel

What is the smallest aircraft ever considered a glider ? ( manned )

I know BD-5 was supposed to have a motor glider version of it.