What do you think about "e-soaring"?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

John.Roo

Covid situation was not really friendly to airshows in EU... however here is video from one Airshow Strakonice. Nice 👍
(is in Czech language, but you don´t need subtitles - from time 03:00 is only about flying) ;)

danmoser

Donat Bösch in Liechtenstein, with a great team, has developed a very promising foot-launchable ultralight soaring machine design, the "1comet" .. glider&data
1638902315799.png
They use a 15 meter span wing with maximized laminar flow and conventional tail to attain an estimated 36:1 max. glide & min. sink rate of 0.42 meters/sec.
Empty weight = 60 kg.
They claim that an electric propulsion unit has been developed for it too.. but no specifics.
No availability info. or pricing yet.. but it looks pretty dang good so far!

henryk

John.Roo

Donat Bösch in Liechtenstein, with a great team, has developed a very promising foot-launchable ultralight soaring machine design, the "1comet" .. glider&data
View attachment 118854
They use a 15 meter span wing with maximized laminar flow and conventional tail to attain an estimated 36:1 max. glide & min. sink rate of 0.42 meters/sec.
Empty weight = 60 kg.
They claim that an electric propulsion unit has been developed for it too.. but no specifics.
No availability info. or pricing yet.. but it looks pretty dang good so far!
Looks like "improved Archaeopteryx" 👍

EzyBuildWing

Cri Cri weighed 166 lbs empty(includes two JPX 212cc 15 HP 17 lbs engines).....so empty weight without engines = 132 lbs.
Span was 16 feet and had a 2' chord laminar-flow Hershey-bar wing.
Cri Cri's MTOW 375 lbs.
So I'm wondering why no one has built a 15m span eCriCri soarer?

danmoser

Looks like "improved Archaeopteryx" 👍
Potentially improved in a few ways..
span from 13.5m to 15m
molded over full wing surface for more extensive laminar flow

Plenty of room for price improvement!!
Last time I checked, the Archaeopteryx was ~ 65,000 Euro :oops:

Also coming out next year is Aeriane's Swift 3... up to 14m span with improved laminar flow.

danmoser

-I dont understand,
why so roomy fuselage ,aspatially nase part ? =simplicity ????
The camera type and angle gives the false impression of roominess..
It's about the same size cockpit as was on the original SWIFT that I used to own.. it had enough room, but not any extra.
This newer cockpit looks better shaped for lower drag, but it's hard to tell.

John.Roo

Potentially improved in a few ways..
span from 13.5m to 15m
molded over full wing surface for more extensive laminar flow

Plenty of room for price improvement!!
Last time I checked, the Archaeopteryx was ~ 65,000 Euro :oops:

Also coming out next year is Aeriane's Swift 3... up to 14m span with improved laminar flow.
65 900 EUR is basic Archaeopteryxh price.
With cockpit cover you need 74 600 EUR and self launch electric costs 89 500 EUR.

Lets see prices of new Swift and "1comet"....
All above mentionned types are beautifull projects, just pricing seems to me a bit too high :cool:

Last edited:

henryk

This newer cockpit looks better shaped for lower drag,
-I have in minde big vertical surface in nase part (before CP),
and need in big vertical fins for compensation...

for comparation look at SB13 nase part of fuselage.?
or=

or=ALBATROS/ TL32

https://flic.kr/p/SVXZ7v

Last edited:

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Rat-bike like Gyro similar to Mad Max with MZ-202 65 HP Mosquito helicopter-engine and carbon-fibre seat-tank, should fly well with 23' diameter rotor.
Empty weight ready to gas-up should be about 185 lbs.
Would be ultimate in perceived-simplicity and low cost....and I think would pull crowds.
Could be modified slightly with double-redundant longer-mast(same length as Bumble Bee's to accomodate slightly larger rotor diameter and slightly larger propeller).

View attachment 118736
Since this is on here thought some may like this ... just scroll down a tad. Ultralivianos & Experimentales

John.Roo

-I have in minde big vertical surface in nase part (before CP),
and need in big vertical fins for compensation...

for comparation look at SB13 nase part of fuselage.?
or=

or=ALBATROS/ TL32

https://flic.kr/p/SVXZ7v
TL-32 Typhoon has been my first UL.
It was real "drag factory".
Flying with TL-32 has been very simple, because it has a "binary throttle".
Why "binary"? Because throttle stick had only two usefull positions - zero (on the ground) or full throttle (all the time in the air) :D
(to be fair - it was version with Rotax 462, I am sure that version with Rotax 582 has been better)

stanislavz

HBA Supporter
eMosquito helicopter gets 25 minutes range......built absolutely as light as possible.....carbon-tubes everywhere.
Emrax 228 motor.
Don't know the horsepower(kW) consumption? Would be interesting to see vid of the energy expended during flight, like Pipistrel's display.
I wonder why Pipistrel doesn't have something like this eHeli in their "Skunk Works"?

Martin Holmann's absolute-minimalist "Bumble Bee" 500 lbs MTOW gyrocopter from the 1980.s had a fuse essentially consisting of 2 pieces of 2" x 2" x 0.025" 6061-T6 square-tube.....,,keel-tube was 11' long and mast was 7' long........total, say 20' at 1.2 lbs/ft = 24lbs. At $8/ft, that's under $200.
Bumble Bee's empty weight was 185 lbs ready to gas-up and fly with a Kawasaki TA-440 ( 436 cc max 50 HP at 6000 rpm, 78 lbs including belt-reduction and electric-start and muffler ) engine.
Bensen's 1956 gyro-glider was simplified and lightened to the utmost and weighed 125 lbs and was car-towed.

Out of the box questions. Big rotor - lower load per rotor aka higher efficiency. But - extra complication and extra weight due to that blade control mechanism. And a must for non-electric motor.

But ! now you can buy and gasoline generator to gasolines your electric drone and get at least three time of its autonomy increased.. The circle have closed.

So - could we eliminate 100% of power pumping via new generator and just pass some, up to 70-80% of ic engine power directly to our Rotors ? Or 50% and stay fully electrified then needed as an emergency (100% of power made by ic, 50% pass to electric motor 50% pass directly to prop), when we are not in hovering mode and we are using less than 100% of ic power - we use some of it recharge our safety batteries.. And if our ic fails - we can swith to full electric power. Or we could even boost our 50% of control motors.