What Did You Do To Save General Aviation Today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
OK, so I'll apologize for the private, exclusive, secret aspect of this in advance.

If there are any of you who are planning or currently are involved in a non-profit group airplane build (for STEM youth development or any other legit non-profit program... seniors, PTSD veterans, people with disabilities, etc.) and if you are considering or would consider using the Zenith Aircraft product line as the basis for a non-profit build project...

I've just submitted a fairly complete draft of a "small charity organization" fundraising primer/manual to Zenith Aircraft as part of a commitment I made to them, in return for their generous support of my EAA chapter's build project. As reported in a previous post, this (32 page) manual was written to simplify and de-mistify basic fundraising for small organizations that don't have much fundraising experience, and may well be terrified of it, or 'don't even know where to start', etc. As reported, it's written in a conversational style to remove the fear many small-town charity org's have.

Over and above supporting Zenith's tremendous commitment to make building an airplane easier and more rewarding... this is something that is absolutely intended to help Zenith market and sell their kits to more customers.

So if you are part of a group that might be interested in buying a Zenith kit for a group build project, let Zenith know that you heard through the electronic grapevine that there's a helpful guide to raising the funds for it, and your group would love to have it.

I apologize for not providing "general public" access to it at this time, but this is something I promised Sebastien he would have first right of refusal on. If for some reason he hates it and/or doesn't want to offer it as a Zenith branded item... then it will be my gift to the homebuilt and non-profit community.

But for now, I would like the existence of the guide to be something that drives product inquiries at Zenith.

Tiger Tim

Another week, another airport barbecue, another fifty-odd happy folks.

I spent all summer saying I wasn’t going to do an early September BBQ on account of our big open house on the 17th-18th but this past week I had two people ask if I was going to change my mind and apparently that’s all it takes to make me crack. A good time was had by folks of all ages, creeds, backgrounds, etc.

Here’s me looking like a total dork right after tossing about two dozen sausages on the grill:
E7AFEC6C-B143-4F80-8C0B-88A972B65B23.jpeg
You guys really gotta find time in your busy schedules to come out…

Bill-Higdon

OK, so I'll apologize for the private, exclusive, secret aspect of this in advance.

If there are any of you who are planning or currently are involved in a non-profit group airplane build (for STEM youth development or any other legit non-profit program... seniors, PTSD veterans, people with disabilities, etc.) and if you are considering or would consider using the Zenith Aircraft product line as the basis for a non-profit build project...

I've just submitted a fairly complete draft of a "small charity organization" fundraising primer/manual to Zenith Aircraft as part of a commitment I made to them, in return for their generous support of my EAA chapter's build project. As reported in a previous post, this (32 page) manual was written to simplify and de-mistify basic fundraising for small organizations that don't have much fundraising experience, and may well be terrified of it, or 'don't even know where to start', etc. As reported, it's written in a conversational style to remove the fear many small-town charity org's have.

Over and above supporting Zenith's tremendous commitment to make building an airplane easier and more rewarding... this is something that is absolutely intended to help Zenith market and sell their kits to more customers.

So if you are part of a group that might be interested in buying a Zenith kit for a group build project, let Zenith know that you heard through the electronic grapevine that there's a helpful guide to raising the funds for it, and your group would love to have it.

I apologize for not providing "general public" access to it at this time, but this is something I promised Sebastien he would have first right of refusal on. If for some reason he hates it and/or doesn't want to offer it as a Zenith branded item... then it will be my gift to the homebuilt and non-profit community.

But for now, I would like the existence of the guide to be something that drives product inquiries at Zenith.
They helped with one of EAA 292's youth builds

Dana LaBounty

My contribution towards saving general aviation was sending $11,414.59 to AirPower so Lycoming can bless me with a new crankshaft at some yet to be determined point in the future.

KeithO

Another week, another airport barbecue, another fifty-odd happy folks.

I spent all summer saying I wasn’t going to do an early September BBQ on account of our big open house on the 17th-18th but this past week I had two people ask if I was going to change my mind and apparently that’s all it takes to make me crack. A good time was had by folks of all ages, creeds, backgrounds, etc.

Here’s me looking like a total dork right after tossing about two dozen sausages on the grill:
View attachment 129460
You guys really gotta find time in your busy schedules to come out…

I asked permission from the airport manager to do something similar and was told it could not be allowed because of inadequate parking near the hangars, that it could interfere with the activities of hangar neighbors etc. Apparently its an activity only allowed at private vs county owner hangars.

BJC

Supporting Member
I asked permission from the airport manager to do something similar and was told it could not be allowed because of inadequate parking near the hangars, that it could interfere with the activities of hangar neighbors etc. Apparently its an activity only allowed at private vs county owner hangars.
Some airport managers aren’t real bright.

BJC

dog

had some very interesting conversations
talking to a couple euopa drivers,one a retiered
chelest,who very recently got his comercial
and is flying doing fire watch,comuting to work in
his hyundi battery hybrid,charged from his grid
connect solar at home and plug in at the hanger
living the life indeed
flying conditions are 10 out of 10 here,field is dry
low humidity,cool,and clear,just warm enough for tshirts during the day
significant numbers working pilots and flying familys with kids at the field
around here it looks like general aviation is saving itself

Bill-Higdon

The weather Gods & Goddesses cooperated with EAA 292's fall Young Eagles flight session today. We flew 35 youngsters today with 15 no shows. It was organized differently than the past with preregistration done online, the youngsters start time scheduled in advance, and if the kids had previously participated in our Young Eagles program they were routed to the flight line first instead going through our "mini-ground school" first.

Tiger Tim

Day one of the big open house today. Not a whole lot of fly-in traffic despite absolutely perfect weather (okay maybe foggy in the morning and windy in the afternoon) but tons of interested foot traffic. BBQ made a mint, the donation bomb was pretty full, did a few biplane rides, and the local school gave away as many info packs as they could make. Moreover the early Cubs were running fantastically, they sounded great and felt like they were bringing all forty horses to the party.

SpruceForest

I wrote my congress critters and told them that supporting an EPA ban on stock-car/street car auto racing (off the street and on private tracks) was just the sort of agenda-driven idiocy that made me donate to their opponents last election cycle. And yes, this is aviation-centric, in that when the State tries to crush activities they prefer we not engage in, it always starts with something splashy (stock car/SCCA auto racing), but continues down to smaller segments of related sports and pastimes (STOL drag???) until the numbers cannot support the lobbying effort necessary to kill the initiative. I'm hoping the SCOTUS decision on regulatory over-reach will kill this one, but all of us have to be concerned when stupid smart people come up with another brain-storm.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Dawn patrol mission yesterday in the Rocket. Its been too long since I flew it "just for fun". Charged up with the excitement of Reno, I spent a bit of time with all the knobs shoved forward to see what the airplane would do if raced "today" in present form.

IMG_20220924_063340144.jpg

Based on what I saw at Reno, my near 250 MPH straight and level speed puts me in the Sport Medallion class without shame.

IMG_20220924_065425031.jpg

Also washed an inch of dust off the T-cart and flew it in the dead calm air this morning. Another enjoyable .7 hours on the 82 year old airframe.

Last edited:

mcrae0104

Supporting Member
IMG_9824.JPG

We kicked off the season with EAA43's Young Aviators today with about a dozen middle schoolers and high schoolers. Today we worked on basic layout & riveting skills, getting started on mock aileron assemblies & Van's toolbox projects. Over the next year we'll be completing an RV-14 project and completing a static display of a one-off homebuilt originally started in the 1960s (new empennage, cockpit fit-out, and working control systems). It's awesome to have kids who are excited about aviation!

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Another dawn patrol flight today in the Rocket. It ocurred to me last night that I have not actually seen some property I own in Acton (about 40nm south) for a few years. A quick recon mission to determine if someone is squatting on the land is as good a reason as any to burn some gas. The 80 mile round trip, some sightseeing and a touch and go at Rosamond took 25 minutes to accomplish. Now on to more building!

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Yesterday the "Cleco-Maniacs" put the longeron and stiffeners on the Starboard rear tailcone skin of our Cruzer project. One of the participants' moms, a professional photographer, made a second quick video, this time complete with participant interviews. If you watch the second video, you'll meet 8 year old Abby, one of our aircraft builders who is so enthusiastic you have to pry the rivet gun out of her hands to let someone else pull a rivet!

Saturday's tailcone assembly was preceded by a tactical mobilization of a large dedicated deburring team, equipped with large diameter hand held drill bits.

Project Jackpot

Last edited: