What Did You Do To Save General Aviation Today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

dog

today I did nothing for general aviation,same yesterday,the day befor that ,I did answer in the afermative to a friend that I would spend time at the local field where I was informed that out of 50 odd planes and projects there are only 5 active flyers and most of the hangers get the man door opened every other year or so.nice zlin in the eaa305 hanger and
a oil canned,fuel stained 172 beside it
timed it coming back in the trucosaurus,and its 25 min,and I just realised I can go out there ,do whatever
in the evenings,stay over and do something early and then book it for work,of which there is more than I can handle,think I will bop over now,take the other way,on the paved road,and see if its faster

TFF

The problem with being where the pros are is they don’t want to step on their own toes because it’s how they make a living. Share the wrong thing and black helicopters start chasing you.

I got to answer two aviation questions from a customer on the phone. I rarely get to talk aviation face to face right now.

Tiger Tim

Had a beast of an airport BBQ today. Didn’t expect to be feeding a hundred people but here we are. A couple Pittses were playing overhead too for a while.

I think everyone walked away pretty satisfied.

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
The "EAA Chapter Airport BBQ" is in fact a pretty good way to attract potential new chapter members. Why? Because pilots are cheap, freeloading, gluttonous mongrels, particularly where free hot dogs are concerned (Guilty, Your Honor).

Hot dogs are a pretty low-cost way to have non-EAA airport people stop by and at least see what the chapter is all about.

Tiger Tim

Free? I feed ya well for a nominal fee and any proceeds are going towards the 55 gallon oil drum of my dreams so I’m not so comically out of pocket for all the rides I do.

Also I have no current formal club affiliations. We kind of all go our own ways around here.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Today was the morning in weeks that it wasn't already blazing hot or windy (often both), so I dragged the Tcraft out for a few laps around the desert. Nothing particularly noteworthy today except as I putt, putt, putted over a house I noticed someone standing on the porch looking up. I took a bit more notice because these days you dont know if they are going to point a gun at you or flip you off. In this case they waved. Have not seen that from a "random" homeowner in a long time. So I returned the wave with a heathy wing rock and kept going.

So it seems there are at least 2 people around here that still appreciate GA.

Marc W

My brother is visiting from California. He took flying lessons in the late 70's and reached the cross country phase when he decided to buy a house instead. I don't know if he has been in a light plane since. My airplane is down for condition inspection so I arranged a ride for brother with a friend in his Zenith 750. Took him to the airport this morning and sent him into the wild blue yonder. He really enjoyed the low and slow flying and it rekindled his interest in flying.

dog

digging around in the back corner of the shop just now,the corner that leaks,my heart skiped a beat,but hey,on pulling out an A-65 case and crank that I had no idea was there,everything is shiny clean,I saved it,its mine.
Now to town,then maybe check out some truck parts,and then the local field is right on the way
home,pay my club dues and see if there is anything to do there tomorrow

Worked on my wife's ElCamino that I just bought her . Changed engine and transmission , installing aftermarket air condition system , and new carpet and seat covers . I know that it's all auto related but if I don't finish her little hot rod , my personal airplane project might take a big hit . My friends that will save GA for me . All us airplane nuts are in the same boat . If Momma ain't happy , ain't nobody happy . That's all . 🐒

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Took my friend Joe for a ride in the Hatz the other day. He'd never flown in a small plane before but he welded the landing gear for my Starduster and the oil separator for my Hatz. He had a great time and he definitely "gets it" but he'll never be a pilot, he's a car guy first and foremost.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
"Car guys"... One of my employees is into Jeeps big time. He routinely will go out and buy the $100k "good deal" Jeep that someone just spent twice that on and will flip it. He often gives me $hit for the coin I spend on my airplane addiction but he just showed me the pictures of his custom axles going into his latest project. Front and rear Dana 60 based housings, massive articulation... $28k. For two axles and suspension bits.

My airplane hobby is suddenly NOT expensive.