What Did You Do To Save General Aviation Today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Love to see this. Keep them flying.
Old friend of mine owned a share of a Champ. They completely rebuilt it and there was a history of the airplane going over on it back. The main spar had a crack under the plywood at the spar attach bracket that is very hard to see. Latter one of the partners looped it and the main spar failed at that point.
When going over on its back the wing tips hit the ground first cracking the spar at the strut attach bracket. Just the place where its hard to detect.

PTAirco

Love to see this. Keep them flying.
Old friend of mine owned a share of a Champ. They completely rebuilt it and there was a history of the airplane going over on it back. The main spar had a crack under the plywood at the spar attach bracket that is very hard to see. Latter one of the partners looped it and the main spar failed at that point.
When going over on its back the wing tips hit the ground first cracking the spar at the strut attach bracket. Just the place where its hard to detect.
The Champ broke its left rear spar, had to replace that. Rainbow Flying services make very nice wood parts. This one has lived a pretty hard life with lots of repairs. But these things are infinitely repairable.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Gave two Rocket rides this morning. First was a co worker of my wife who has been in aviation his whole life, loves airplanes, and traveled plenty - but had yet to go in a GA aircraft. Did an hour of sightseeing and he was thrilled. Second ride was to my friend and primary care physician - he's a pilot and owns a Grumman Traveller and a Hughes 500. The Rocket ride was repayment from letting me fly his 500 some years ago. We bought gas at Bakersfield Muni and hoped to see Harmon at his old Rocket Cafe, but it was not to be. The man, and the old vibe of the resturaunt are long gone.

Nice day of flying.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Time for an update, Rhino.
Had some problems with the door but that's mainly resolved. It still doesn't work using the app, but I wasn't really planning on using that anyway. Still love that door.

Unfortunately there's a leak in the plumbing and you need an act of Congress to get a contractor to show up and do work here. I need water to clean up before moving stuff in, and I'm not anxious to move in if there might be more leaking either, so still waiting for that.

And in a grand example of unintended consequences, the contractor decided, after a year of waiting, to do some of the grading in the yard, and it's been raining nearly every day since. So now I can't get to the hangar most of the time without accumulating large amounts of mud on shoes or tires, plus it messes up the yard. Of course, he didn't do all the yard, so we can't plant grass seed yet, which is what's needed to eliminate the mud problem. It's impossible to get stuff done around here. The really sad part is we've become kind of used to it after just having built our house. Everybody else that lives around here seems to be used to it too. I did tell the contractor a few days ago that I'm going to get bids from others to finish what he hasn't done if some of the work we really need done right now isn't completed in the next couple of weeks. Time will tell how that works out.

Daleandee

Had my flight review yesterday, so I’m clear to continue spending money on avgas, oil, and everything else that sucks up money.

BJC
Finally got some flyable weather today to do my flight review. Actually the weather was quite exceptional with CAVU and butter smooth air. The result was that at least two of us are once again cleared to slowly deplete the 100LL reserves & bore holes in the sky!

Doran Jaffas

Drilled the last hole and installed the last screw in the structure of my steel " kit" building at my getaway in Lake City, Michigan. Let out a whoop a lot of neighbors heard on the airport I suspect. Now for the fun part ( really ) of finishing the gables, putting up the wood wall in back and considering what option to take for doors? on the front.
A L O T of insight has been gained into building one of these. It is 32' across by 28' deep and 14' high. If anybody decides to put one of these together feel free to contact me and I will save them quite a bit of time I think. There have been mistakes made in the build but overall it came out looking and being fairly decent. I would give it maybe maybe A C plus or a or A B -for my 1st build of this type If it was a professional it would be a D but it will function and not look half bad to the neighbors.
Heading back up again this weekend to do some more finishing touches.The ramp out to the taxi way should also be done this week. A mixture of clay and stone.Not sure if this is really saving aviation for anyone but myself but it is a dream coming true for me. In the not too distant future I will put a slide show up on YouTube for anybody interested in seeing the progression from the time from the pieces actually arrived to the finished point of where I'm at. Thanks for reading my ramble folks.

I almost forgot, I did take my nephew's girlfriend for a ride in the Tailwind for her birthday. Rather my wife's nephew.

Attachments

Last edited:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
...Thanks for the update.
The plumbing is fixed!!! Apparently he took to heart my threat of finding new contractors to finish what he hadn't. When we came back to town a few days ago the plumbing was fixed and he'd done a little more work on the yard. Not as much as we'd like though, so we had a load of topsoil delivered today and I reserved a skid loader to spread it around this weekend. But lo and behold, our contractor drove by, saw the pile of dirt, and was here within a couple of hours doing more work. Now he says he hopes to be done, with grass planted, by this weekend. Amazing how the threat of being replaced can motivate you.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Our EAA chapter is starting our Zenith 750 build project Saturday. As the project leader and official chapter mouthpiece... I'm terrified. This one's kind of on me - the guest of honor at the ticker tape parade or the pubic stoning is me.

Our chapter's build space is almost complete, our chapter members are reasonably enthusiastic, and (in a booming James Earl Jones voice)... we have the Clecos.

Me and my co-conspirators have an opportunity to create something really worthwhile, in an area that can generate a lot of publicity, and we really want to not screw up the opportunity.

So the great ruiner of all things good, a corrupt lawmaker named Murphy, has recently given me three major vehicle problems, a stuck exhaust valve on one airplane, a complicated sale-transport-purchase-transport round robin project with two other airplanes to deal with, one full-time job 38 miles form my home and 50 miles from the airport, a part-time aviation manufacturing business in my garage, and a supportive (but well-armed and temperamental) wife.

Y'all come visit me at the Happy Acres asylum, I'll be the guy with goggles and a light blue uniform who thinks he's Roscoe Turner, trying to find a lion cub in the rubber room...

Last edited:

Tiger Tim

That’s awesome that you’re getting the 750 started VB. Do you have a plan for build sequence? I built a CH-601 or -701 rudder twenty years ago (holy crap am I getting old?) and it was slammed together in a day or two. It was also going to be a youth group build but when twenty people started the rudder then handed it to me to finish solo the whole affair was pretty well a non-starter. Oh well.

I digress. I’m sure you’ve considered this but I think if I were doing a project like this again I’d still start with a rudder as a symbolic thing to hang up and show off then move onto the fuselage. Yes, I know every one of us here would finish the tailfeathers and move onto the wings next as a matter of space saving and all that but those parts are boring to look at and impossible to sit in and make airplane noises. Plus the fuselage is the centre of everything so you can have people interested in electronics or upholstery or plumbing concurrently doing their thing while the metal work guys continue to chip away at airframe stuff. Again, you no doubt know all this, but if you have first-timers you have to keep that excitement up all through the build.

Good luck and remember that we on HBA.com demand updates and pics.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
We are starting with the wing on purpose.

It's not that much more complicated than the rudder, and that one big picture, the kids smiling and holding up the wing in the air, is the key to me being able to raise the funds for the rest of the project.

(never ask a sleazy underhanded salesman exactly how he got the buyer to agree... there are some things you just don't want to know :) )

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Saturday we had an incredible success! 12 kids 12 parents and a bunch of EAA members all worked together to build the first Zenith wing.

Well, to be completely honest, the kids clecoed the wing skeleton together, in a three hour session. The primary goal of the entire event was achieved... the photo of the kids holding a 'wing looking assembly" in the air on the very first day!

The kids and parents were engaged, interested, and nobody even got bored by the loudmouth lead instructor. The most incredible thing was that the kids became voracious little cleco-maniacs!

And to be even more honest... if you absolutely must know the entire truth... after the kids left I took out all ten million clecos and deburred all the parts, and clecoed it back together.

Photos and videos as soon as I can get to a real computer and have a few minutes.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
As promised, here are a few snapshots from Saturday's build event. The official (officious?) name for this is "Project: JACKPOT" (Joint Aircraft Construction - Kids, Parents, Opportunities & Training).

At 1:15, after our chapter's regular monthly Young Eagles rally event was completed, Chapter 40 Vice President Dave Kolstad marched the kids and parents over to the chapter hangar. Dave had been keeping a list of kids and parents who were interested in building. Saturday was a gray and rainy morning, but the skies cleared by 10:30 and they flew 35 kids. But no doubt some of the kids and parents who might otherwise have showed up figured the day was cancelled due to rain. All told, I believe we had a dozen kids, each with a parent or two to participate and supervise their kids. There were another dozen chapter members, most likely there to supervise me o_O

Chapter 40 member Steve Lawrence, who almost singlehandedly built a gorgeous 950 Sq. Ft. second story mezzanine (to make room for our build project downstairs) had also just whipped up a set of gleaming white melamine workbenches in about five minutes flat, giving us a brand new attractive work surface on which to put this airplane together. There is some sort of aviation sainthood in this man's future.

We had previously laid all the parts out on the table in their correct positions. Myself and one or two other chapter members had donated (meaning pried our cold, dead fingers away from) about 150 clecos, and several pair of cleco pliers for this. Another chapter member who build a 601 Zenith has loaned us a couple of rivet pullers with the modified heads, and another member who was planning to build a Zenith (but didn't - Stage 4 cancer) has donated a few sets of modified rivet heads, drill bits, and other stuff.

Once all the kids and parents were corralled into the hangar, I gave a short explanation of what a cleco does and how it allows the parts to be assembled and disassembled, then we had the kids sit and watch a 15 minute video from Zenith (their youtube video) of clecoing the wing together.

Then we turned them loose!

Cleco Instruction Bill.jpg
Cleco Kid and Grandpa.jpg
Kid Cleco Pliers.jpg
Kids Clecoing 1.jpg
Kids Watching Video.jpg

Here is a link to some videos that were shot by one of our chapter members (My workplace's network settings won't allow me to go to this website and pick out specific videos, so some videos will be better/longer/more relevant than others):
Zenith Assembly Day One

Last edited:

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Younger than I expected. Typically you see high schoolers in such ventures. At this age though, the classic childhood dream of flying is still very much alive. I love it.

Daleandee

I mentioned in another thread that I made an agreement to purchase a hangar at a grass field closer to home that I visit often. They were talking (joking) today about making me the new airport manager. I assured them there was no way that was ever gonna happen. So I helped GA today by bringing more activity to a local field and I also helped by refusing to be the next inefficient manager of an airport. ;)

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Well, my little Cleco-Maniacs were at it again last night, pulling rivets on the Cruzer wing rear spar and rib attachments.

HBA member Addicted2Climbing was kind enough to set up a time-lapse camera, and then generously served as a construction mentor.

In this video you will see the bottom of the gorgeous and solid "second story mezzanine" that HBA member SteveL built almost singlehandedly to facilitate this chapter build program.

In the far left background you can see the silver fuselage mock-up for our chapter member Dezso Molnar's "Streetwing", an electric vehicle that will have (potentially, maybe, we'll see) attach-able wings.

102721 Time Lapse.MP4

addicted2climbing

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Despite all that controlled chaos just one rivet was bad due to the trigger being pulled as the kid tried to push hard to get the rivet all the way in the hole. I had to drill out a few holes where rivets passed through a few sheets of material and then it would not pass all the way through or was very hard to push through for the young kids. Other than that, Wow it went fast with that many eager hands... Made the Cygnet we built last time with the kids look like it was from the dark ages.