What Did You Do To Save General Aviation Today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Little cross country to Scottsbluff, Cheyenne, and home yesterday. Neat topography out there in western NE. Second image is home base, KBJC.
7EA99E44-F8F2-4726-829B-CBA7E067FB52.jpegBA3CFFF6-97C7-4D22-84AC-F06A0FDB88D4.jpeg

Last edited:

Marc W

I flew a new to me Rans S-7 home yesterday. I bought the airplane near Colorado Springs and flew over the Rockies to the western slope in Colorado. The seller hated to see it go but he was recently diagnosed with a health condition that is ending his flying days. I am flattered that he believes his airplane is going to a worthy owner. First flight in the airplane for me.

Test Flight.jpg

Saying our goodbye's yesterday morning.

Goodbye's.jpg

And I am off!

Away.jpg

North winds were 17 gusting to 23 when I left. My first leg was south toward Pueblo so I had a tailwind. I flew west from Pueblo up the Arkansas River canyon and crossed the continental divide at Marshall pass. The wind was down the canyon but only 12 knots. The pass is about 10,800' so I could have crossed at 12,500'. I was curious what the airplane would do and the adjacent peaks are 13,000' to 14,000' so I climbed to 14,500'. I got up there without a problem, albeit slowly. The 40 degree drafts coming into the cockpit were a little uncomfortable though. I meant to take some photos up there but I didn't think of it at the time. From the pass I descended down the Gunnison valley to 10,500' until I crossed the last ridge which is about 9,500'. Then a gradual descent to Delta, CO. Flight time was about 3 hours and distance flown about 200 miles. It ain't no speed demon!

The airplane has been well maintained and is about the easiest airplane I have ever flown. It has a Jabiru 3300 with a ground adjustable prop. I did have one problem on the way west. The radio would intermittently generate loud static in the headset. The volt meter started climbing as I approached Pueblo and went up to 15.8V or so. I debated turning around but then I found that turning on the Nav lights reduced the voltage down into the 12 volt range so I carried on. I am not sure the radio is working properly but the radio problems are probably due to the failing voltage regulator.

The prop is set for climb so it turns 3300 rpm in the climb. The downside is you have to run about 3200 rpm at cruise to keep the airplane flying happily. I am going to adjust the pitch a little to reduce cruise rpm. The engine also overheats quickly in the climb so you really have to cruise climb to keep the speed up. The oil cooler airflow exits into a narrow gap against the firewall. I am sure I will end up changing the oil cooler installation. I really find it hard to believe that anybody would think the oil cooler could work when it is installed like that! I will also look at the cooling air exit area from the cowl. The Jabirus come with factory cooling plenums so the exit would seem to be the first thing to look at.

I really like the airplane. It is roomy and has excellent visibility. I am looking forward to exploring some of the backcountry airstrips in Utah.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Did an overnight trip to Palm Springs in the Rocket. Its been quite a while since I've been into PSP just due to the landing fees, but with a fuel purchase most of them drop off. Still expensive, but turns a 6 hour round trip in a car into less than an hour.

Pretty warm today on departure - before engine start the oil temp was sitting at 111. Good test of the cooling system. Did a 10,000 foot climb at a fairly slow 120 knots (autopilot limiting it to 1000 FPM) and stayed under 400 on CHT and just touched 200 briefly on oil temp before pushing over into cruise.

Doran Jaffas

This might be a little off topic as far as doing something for aviation today but I sent in a payment for intent to purchase a Pietenpol Air Camper. It's in Western wisconsin. I told the person offering it up for sale that I would want a condition inspection done and I'm willing to pay for that and minor repairs. Hoping to see it reassembled within the next couple of weeks and run out there and fly it home to Central Lower Michigan. This will be an addition to my Tailwind W10-8. I've wanted one of these for years and I'm hoping nothing comes up to put a hiccup in it. I guess maybe I'm doing something for aviation to please myself more than somebody else but I do believe this airplane will be fun to give rides in as well as bang around the countryside on a warm and calm summer, spring or fall day.

Attachments

Bill-Higdon

Results From EAA 292's Young Eagles event on 6-12-21 Total: 46 YE's, - 13 Girls, 33 Boys, 9 Pilots, 46 Flights. Sadly I was unable to participate due to a bad sinus infection that has effected my right eye. 3.24 days on antibiotics has helped a bunch

TFF

Yes I think trying to buy a plane is at the top of saving aviation. Has that thing ever flown? Looks too fresh. Interesting cowl, what kind of engine?

Get better. Sounds like a good Young Eagles day.

Doran Jaffas

Yes I think trying to buy a plane is at the top of saving aviation. Has that thing ever flown? Looks too fresh. Interesting cowl, what kind of engine?

Get better. Sounds like a good Young Eagles day.
If you're talking about the Pietenpol, it has 350 hours on it. 110 horsepower Corvair engine. It does look fresh I'll give you that but pictures can be a little deceiving. I'll know more when we go to pick it up. The condition inspection, I am told by the seller is going to be done this weekend so then it will just be a matter of getting a 24-hour period with good weather between Western Wisconsin and Central Lower Michigan.

You bring up a point though. I have never flown behind one of those engines. Anything I should know about from any of you experienced Corvair aviators out there?

Thanks.

Marc W

We had a Young Eagles event today. We flew somewhere around 40 youngsters. I didn't hear the final count. One youngster kept saying, "That was so much fun!" over and over. We also had good feedback from the parents.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
That's one thing I miss about Ohio. My EAA chapter there was very active and involved. Not so much here.

PTAirco

Burned $600 of avgas over four days, taking the Maule up the central valley and then back down to Tehachapi . Glider rides for me and the girlfriend, courtesy of the tow pilot who is a friend of my girlfriend. Saw a 1938 glider take to the sky after restoration. Twice across Death Valley, once with 40mph tailwinds, getting bumped a LOT.

Meanwhile, keeping two ratty banner towing cubs flying, putting a starter in a Chief, fixing a scraped up wingtip on a Legend Cub, covered wings for a glider tow plane, fixing a canopy on a Kestrel Hawk (anyone remember those?) A J3 project lined up and a battered Champ, to be followed by a set of Stearman wings to be built and covered. I'm a busy boy.

TJTX

I got my buddies Super Decathlon out for an hour today to make sure I'm keeping my tailwheel feet current. I dont care what anyone says, airplanes have more soul with a tailwheel! And I got on a list for a hangar at a grass strip 5 minutes from my house. Hangars in Dallas are impossible to get ahold of here but talking with the owner it seems I have good odds at grabbing one over the next year or two.

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Took my parents out for breakfast this morning. KBJC (north of Denver) - KFLY (Colorado Springs) to pick them up, then KFLY - KFNL (Fort Collins) - KGXY (Greeley), then reverse. Only problem was that the restaurant--my favorite airport joint on the Front Range--was closed (no mention of the closure on their web site :confused:). Oh well, they still had a great time and got to see a lot of good scenery as we flew along the foothills, and I got 5.8 x-c out of the deal. Oh, and there was a Fort visiting BJC when I got home!

IMG_9051.JPG
Denver at sunrise, headed south.

IMG_9053.JPG
B-17 at Rocky Mountain Metro

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Let there be light!

C3A0D175-ECE3-4737-B6B1-92A16E896122.jpeg

Plumbing is done and there's a few minor finishing touches left on electrical. Then the final inspection and I FINALLY get to start moving in. Then I have to paint, build benches, hang tools, inventory parts....... Geez. Just getting ready to build is gonna be a nightmare.

Chris In Marshfield

HBA Supporter
Log Member
He said as he was ringing me up, “This is probably the most expensive flight review you’ve ever had.” He wasn’t lying! But how can you put a price on that experience?