Quantcast

What Did You Do To Save General Aviation Today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Worked a full day Thursday, drove home and loaded up the RV for a quick Vegas trip. Cleared to land at VGT 12R and they closed the tower (1900) while I was on short final. The air was hot but it was an unusually nice ride at 9500. Took off today at 11:15 and it was already 106 at the end of the runway! Despite being heavy, we managed to outclimb and pass the Turbo Lance that detarted just prior. Again, it was hot at altitude (78 @ 8500), but a great ride home. The friends that we spent the weekend with and dropped us off at the airport still have another 4 hours in the car to get home.

Got to go now, theres a beer in the freezer calling my name!

Last edited:

PTAirco

Bought fuel and drilled holes in the sky. Interesting temperature inversion; quite pleasantly cool taking off from Flabob but it got so hot at 3000ft, I at first thought I had left the cabin heater on. 106 later on.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I’m keeping the money in circulation.

Recently paid to have the operating system in my Garmin GNS 430 W updated (unlike their practice for the G3X, Garmin does not provide OS update access to individuals for the GNS 430 W), and I just dropped off my SL 40 for factory repair.

BJC

Tiger Tim

On the weekend I burned a bunch of gas and did type training and tailwheel with about a half dozen folks. Can’t save aviation by myself, after all.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
I attended the Zenith homecoming in Mexico Missouri and extended my Kitplanes subscription, took a demo ride and talked engines and avionics with UL power and Viking, Dynon and Garmin. Didn't spend as much as I was prepared to, but every little bit helps.

Bigshu

HBA Supporter
Got pre-approved for an aircraft loan, so now I can find the right aircraft and get to flying! Well, if I can find insurance!

Doran Jaffas

Gorgeous picture.
Wx hasn't been good for flying here in Michigan the last couple of weeks. Only had one dawn patrol here in Michigan and that was several weeks ago. Fortunately the wx turned out very nice and a lot of birds flew into Lowell, Michigan after the fog lifted.

Attachments

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I'd prefer the fog to smoke (which is what's in my picture)!

With the whole state still on fire, I have not seen a smoke free day in months

malte

A few months ago, my wife and I started a new GA business - Aufwind GmbH. One of our focal point is promote the new easier EASA maintenance regulations including the new "A&P-Light" (Part-66 class L) Licenses. We are currently creating theory-courses for these "A&P-light" licenses. I think it would help if you had severel A&P on each aifield.

I have now written my second article on maintenance topics for AOPA Letter Germany and help customers to reduce maintenance costs. Mainly by explaining maintenance regulations against gold-plating of regulations by some workshops and authorities.

We are about to create a "SkyLab" at our airfield, where we rent out our workshop space and tooling and advice for self-maintenance.

Victor Bravo

HBA Supporter
Hard at work creating a youth/adult airplane building program around the Zenair 750 and my EAA chapter here in LA. The program would bring together EAA, Young Eagles, the local AviationExplorers Post, the 99's, possibly local school science programs, airplane building, STEM education, "youth development", job skills, etc.

We've made great progress in the last few weeks, we just got our 501 (c)3 non-profit certification done, and we sold our previous chapter build project which puts $8000 in cold hard cash into the kitty. We have a 50-50 chance that we will have an engine donated by a chapter member, and we have a fair chance of some financial support from Zenith. Addicted2Climbing offered to create an educational component as part of this program, where the participating youth will get an introductory training class in using SolidWorks.

We also have possible access to several other potentially important "parts and pieces" to make this bigger and better (such as one of the local TV news reporters is a pilot and might be convinced to fly a Young Eagles flight in the airplane that the kids built, and the fact that our airport is the closest to the TV and movie studios in Burbank/Hollywood).

Pops

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Does mowing the grass on my 3150' long grass runway count? Greasing the bearing in the wind tee ? Changing the oil in the 6 cyl Ford engine in the 16' wide runway mower? Lots of work to keep a grass field runway open.