Quantcast

What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Which way is the local flow going? Somewhat inboard as it flows aft (due to the influence of the constricting propeller outflow)? I'm also wondering if the fairing might need to be twisted to achieve zero AoA, and how much drag you will save. Looking forward to your results.
I have the string wrapped around the LE and I compared the difference between the inner and outer paths. In theory, if the two strings line up at the TE, then you are zero AoA. Initially, I was about .5 inches off (the tick marks are .5 inch).

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Not today, but in the last week, I've been working on a preliminary structural design for my wing to see how closely weight matches my predicted weight. Running the shear and moment through Bruhn's wood box spar process (really just a repeat of ANC-18), things are looking good and I think I will be able to beat Raymer's prediction (based on a statistical database probably dominated by aluminum structures) by 15%. Also I've been having some fun playing with XFLR5 for the first time, contemplating the effects of aerodynamic & geometric twist.

wing.png
xflr5.jpg
xflr5-2.png

Reactions: BJC

gtae07

Insulated and sealed firewall.
Installed firewall equipment and some of the large-gauge power cables.
Started mounting the canopy bow.
Continued panel planning work (I hate this!).
Got a flight review last weekend, now I'm legal again! First time landing a nosegear RV, too. Also discovered I really like the Dynon AOA tones.

BJC

HBA Supporter
I bought a pair of Webair 2,000 pound airplane jacks form a neighbor's estate sale, knowing that one needed new drive gears. I like the mechanical jacks - they use ACME screw - for simplicity, ease of use, no oil to leak, and their ability to stay in place for a long time. (No hydraulic leak down.) Webair is no longer in business.

I found a set of gears with the same external dimensions and tooth count in a repair kit for a trailer jack. See:
BD500156 Replacement Sidewind Gear Kit for Bulldog Jacks - 7,000 lbs | etrailer.com

The driven gear has a slot in the bottom that captures a 1/4" pin through the 1/2" drive shaft. That slot needed to be deepened, so my son-in-law cut the slot deeper on his mill. The mill made the modification easy, and it works fine.

BJC

TXFlyGuy

What did I do on my plane today? I paid the hangar rent so I don't get evicted.

WX at HZY two days ago...

1/4 mile vis, -S, Freezing Fog, 900 OVC, 28/26, 26015G25.

Great flying weather. And...it gets cold in my hangar, real cold.

gtae07

More avionics planning
Drilled more spar passthroughs for wire conduit per Van's guidance
Plotted more wiring runs and pitot/AOA routing

BJC

HBA Supporter
1607034682133.png
This is one of the jacks as I got it. The lower radial struts are upside down; they can be disconnected from the cylinder (wing nut on the bolt) and folded to about a 10" diameter.

They have an ACME screw, supported on a thrust ball bearing. Very simple.

BJC

proppastie

Log Member
have used them on the Mooney, friend has them and loves them because when flies some where to work on a plane they fold up and fit in a Mooney baggage compartment, also they are aluminum except for the jack.....those rectangular slotted tabs change the height of the whole assembly but I can not remember it well enough to describe how

BJC

HBA Supporter
Mine are steel. The slotted tabs are used to hold the legs in the folded position. The jackj in the photo has the legs with the slotted tabs installed upside down. They were that way when I bought them.

BJC

proppastie

Log Member
Mine are steel. The slotted tabs are used to hold the legs in the folded position
absolutely correct.....I thought with the shape of the foot that the design allowed jacking in this position .....it certainly would be less stable....checked with magnet and yes steel legs
IMG_20201205_104209.jpg

Reactions: BJC

Daleandee

Got my red belly strobe installed today. Missed the mail lady with the ADSB stuff and they wouldn't leave it as a signature is required ... 8~(

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Removed the strobe bulbs from my wingtips and rudder. Filled in the holes in the tips and restored the OML. Added the NEW holes and nutplates for the new Aveo LED strobe/nav lights.

Found out some interesting things:

The new nav light weighs less than the strobe bulb and lens it replaced, and it ALSO weighs less than the one run of cable used to power that strobe! So I'm well ahead of the weight game even before I factor in the multi pound, power hungry Whelen strobe power supply.

I was not prepared for just how incredibly bright these new lights are. Even the nav portion is too bright to look at in daylight without seeing spots after.

The light was completely removed from the rudder and the Whelen A500 stobe/position light assembly was listed as .3 pounds. That is a LOT of weight to be hanging off the TE of the rudder! My flutter margin just improved with the change in MMOI, I suspect.

Last edited:

Bill-Higdon

Removed the strobe bulbs from my wingtips and rudder. Filled in the holes in the tips and restored the OML. Added the NEW holes and nutplates for the new Aveo LED strobe/nav lights.

Found out some interesting things:

The new nav light weighs less than the strobe bulb and lens it replaced, and it ALSO weighs less than the one run of cable used to power that strobe! So I'm well ahead of the weight game even before I factor in the multi pound, power hungry Whelen strobe power supply.

I was not prepared for just how incredibly bright these new lights are. Even the nav portion is too bright to look at in daylight without seeing spots after.

The light was completely removed from the rudder and the Whelen A500 stobe/position light assembly was listed as .3 pounds. That is a LOT of weight to be hanging off the TE of the rudder! My flutter margin just improved with the reduction in MMOI, I suspect.
I had a chance to see Bob Carlton of Vertigo Airshows demo a new LED system he was working on back in 2004, my eyes saw lots of spots afterwards. I can only imagine what you saw with the improvement in LED's

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I had a chance to see Bob Carlton of Vertigo Airshows demo a new LED system he was working on back in 2004, my eyes saw lots of spots afterwards. I can only imagine what you saw with the improvement in LED's
Funny, I'm sure that the first HID strobes blew peoples minds when it came out - same with LORAN, EFIS, and a million other products. We're just getting rolling with LED technology and its already higher performance, lighter and less expensive than the previous benchmark products. Cant wait to see what the next 20 years brings. But for now, there is ZERO justification for HID strobes... I need to sell my strobes quick, before EVERYBODY else figures out the technology is in fact, dead.