Quantcast

What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Victor Bravo

My wife told me she was angry that I spent all my time at the hangar working on airplanes, and why couldn't I be more like a "normal guy".

I told her she was absolutely right, a bunch of the other "normal guys" were going out to a strip club for belly button shots and a lap dance, it would be a blast to go with them.

She handed me the Aircraft Spruce catalog and told me to go straight to the hangar and work on my f*****g airplane.

Last edited:

don january

Log Member
VB: I get the same type of response every time the wife goes down stairs to do laundry. Been thinking of bringing the plane up stairs to the living room. What did I do on my plane today ? Went and picked a few flowers because I need more wood. :pilot:

pwood66889

Sheesh, VB! I took the easy way out and got a plane before I got a wife... :)
I did retrieve a package from the Post Office with a new set of wing bolts. I don't want to take a chance on used 5/8th-inch ones. Plus try to find the washers, nuts and cotter keys. Plenty of `coupe parts if you know where to find `em.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Still dimpling fuselage parts. Actually lost the male die to my pop-rivet dimpler. Was pulling against a 6d nail. And it snapped when I wasn't expecting it. I have more on order, so finishing one bulkhead location on aft bottom skin will have to wait for those.

In the meantime, I incorporated the skin stiffeners between the 2 aft bulkheads which was called for in Van's latest "Service Letter". The easiest plans modification yet.

cblink.007

My wife told me she was angry that I spent all my time at the hangar working on airplanes, and why couldn't I be more like a "normal guy".

I told her she was absolutely right, a bunch of the other "normal guys" were going out to a strip club for belly button shots and a lap dance, it would be a blast to go with them.

She handed me the Aircraft Spruce catalog and told me to go to straight to the hangar and work on my f*****g airplane.
Nice!

The soon-to-be Mrs, for some odd reason, actually enjoys working on this crazy project. Over the weekend, she got onto Access and built a pretty impressive build log-style database. She built up budget-expense spreadsheets that are tied in to the database. When I took a gamble and asked about her enthusiasm, she stated that she wanted to see this thing executed right, wants to see it completed. Her rationale is twofold- 1. I was doing this before we met and 2. If she delayed the project any more, she knows she won't hear the end of it.

She did give a very strict ultimatum, however. She told me that we won't do daily videos or business the way Raptor does. I had no idea she studied that boondoggle!!

Fireflyer228

Lifetime Supporter
Nice!

The soon-to-be Mrs, for some odd reason, actually enjoys working on this crazy project. Over the weekend, she got onto Access and built a pretty impressive build log-style database. She built up budget-expense spreadsheets that are tied in to the database. When I took a gamble and asked about her enthusiasm, she stated that she wanted to see this thing executed right, wants to see it completed. Her rationale is twofold- 1. I was doing this before we met and 2. If she delayed the project any more, she knows she won't hear the end of it.

She did give a very strict ultimatum, however. She told me that we won't do daily videos or business the way Raptor does. I had no idea she studied that boondoggle!!
I would love to see that database & spreadsheet, if she ever wants to share. Actually, all can be done in a database and queried any myriad of ways depending on how she built the tables. and can be so much easier to enter data. Even knowing what the Raptor project is... She’s a keeper!

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Actually riveting fuselage together. Hoping to have the whole canoe riveted and ready to install main gear legs before the first of the year.

Lower longeron getting riveted

F-815 inboard mid-fuselage rib getting riveted to center section.

Took some time to drill out and replace some ugly rivets I had previously (temporarily) given up on. I made the discovery that using extra long reach drill bits, I can actually bend the bit so that I can reach those really hard to reach AN470AD4 rivets to drill them out. I had to use a Dremel tool and a small flat head grinding wheel to flatten some badly mangled manufactured AN470 heads, so I could start a drill bit with any chance of it being on-center. My #30 straight reamer makes a handy tool for snapping the heads off of drilled rivets.

Last edited:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The Rocket has lived with some significant OML discontinuity at the inlets and spinner for some time now. Working on fixing that this weekend. I "hope" this low hanging fruit correction buys me 5 knots in cruise, then I go for the skewed landing gear leg fairings.

I want 200@10!

pylon500

What did you do on your project today?

Trimmed and fitted one of the sub spars in the centre section undercarriage retract bay.

I would tell you what the project is, but then I would have to kill you!

Lets just say, 'We've made a lot of parts so far, and all will be revealed soon.'Tails_and_Ailerons.png

gtae07

Bored out my alternator pulley to the right size (took me over an hour, going very slow and careful). Still have to shorten the boss on the back just a bit and maybe find a shorter M14x1.5 flange nut to get good thread engagement.

Also finalizing my Spruce pickup order as we're going up there this week...

Doran Jaffas

Discovered a crack in my spinner.
The process of replacing it with a new spinner and backing plate and modifying my cowling for the whole shebang. hope to have it back in the air by the end of the week.

Attachments

Doran Jaffas

I have done some test piloting of experimental and factory built aircraft. I'm probably speaking to the choir here but have a plan and stick to it and do not make it too complicated. The objective of the first flight frankly is to get it up in the air and back on the ground safely. My first test flight that did years ago was literally one trip around the pattern and in for a landing. I had done some high-speed taxiing so I knew approximately what speed the airplane going to land at. Add 10% and allow the airplane to float down the runway until it is ready to settle.
Do not get ahead of yourself and do steep or aggressive maneuvers at first. If everything feels good once you get in the pattern then the engine gauges are telling you all is well taking a couple of circuits around the pattern to calm your nerves before that first landing is not a bad idea but again please don't make the first test light complicated. there is plenty of time in the ensuing test lights and program for that. Also, I know for posterity many people like to include an in-flight camera but that is also a distraction you do not need. Better is just save that for the next flight or even several flights later after you had become acquainted and I'm more comfortable. If you want something for posterity have a still photo taken after you land. Even knowing someone is videotaping you on the ground can add unneeded distraction.
More for n...sort of..
After flying last weekend it was discovered that my spinner had cracked. After removing the spinner for further investigation I found the backing plate cracking at the bend of the flange. It appears to have started at one of the nut plates. The crack was obviously enlarging and putting stress on the spinner which caused it to start cracking also. The spinner will be repaired but not the plate.
I am expecting a new and larger spinner kit from Vans this week. That meant trimming the nose bowl to enlarge the opening for the larger diameter spinner.
A minor and easy job. The old spinner is an 11.75" diameter and easily welded and polished.
The new one will be 13" and fiberglass.

A note to others is to check the spinner flange on occasion for signs of fatigue. I lost a spinner during a high speed taxi test on a different airplane some years ago. The momentary vibration untill it departed the aircraft in a beautiful arc was astounding. Had the separation taken place in flight, it wouldn't have been so beautiful.

Attachments

Doran Jaffas

More for n...sort of..
After flying last weekend it was discovered that my spinner had cracked. After removing the spinner for further investigation I found the backing plate cracking at the bend of the flange. It appears to have started at one of the nut plates. The crack was obviously enlarging and putting stress on the spinner which caused it to start cracking also. The spinner will be repaired but not the plate.
I am expecting a new and larger spinner kit from Vans this week. That meant trimming the nose bowl to enlarge the opening for the larger diameter spinner.
A minor and easy job. The old spinner is an 11.75" diameter and easily welded and polished.
The new one will be 13" and fiberglass.

A note to others is to check the spinner flange on occasion for signs of fatigue. I lost a spinner during a high speed taxi test on a different airplane some years ago. The momentary vibration untill it departed the aircraft in a beautiful arc was astounding. Had the separation taken place in flight, it wouldn't have been so beautiful.
Initial look see. Hope to get the opening for the pilot cooler done this weekend.

Attachments