What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 8, 2017 #141

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Another 3 hours gone. Found some missing $ operators in my spreadsheet, which then revealed a discontinous integral. I've made progress on mitigating that. I just doubled the table size to hopefully get it usable, and broke it again. Reality bckons, maybe I crack this nut tonight?

2. Oct 8, 2017 #142

skier

skier

skier

Not an update from just today, but rather the full weekend. I pulled the first few rivets in the tail of the CH-601 rudder kit. I also got to see and ride in a CH-750. After seeing one in person and talking with a few forum members, I'm still thinking it seems like a good choice for me.

FritzW likes this.
  3. Oct 8, 2017 #143

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

Are the rudders interchangeable?

4. Oct 8, 2017 #144

skier

skier

skier

No, but I had the -601 rudder kit hanging around. I figured it's a good way to learn on something that doesn't matter at all. And since It's already paid for, it doesn't cost me anything.

5. Oct 8, 2017 #145

FritzW

FritzW

FritzW

...oh well. At least when you get the 750 rudder you'll be an old hand at Zenith rudders ;)

6. Oct 8, 2017 #146

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mowed 10 acres of runway for Dad this morning. Then cleaned and gapped the plugs. Figured out that I didn't check the ring gear when I installed the prop. So, off it comes to clock it. Got most of the wing bolts and nuts installed. Hope to run it tomorrow, Kenneth said it was fat/rich at idle, screwed mixture screw in a turn. Will see if that helps. Still got a big list to chew on.

7. Oct 9, 2017 #147

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

I have been getting absolutely nothing worked on.

Last Tuesday I had a vision problem, dashed to the eye doctor, and Wednesday AM they vacuumed out my eyeball, fixed the holes and tears and detachment of my retina, inflated my eye with gas, stitched the holes they did the work through, and told me I have to keep eyeballs down for a week or more while it heals. Cannot accomplish anything in the shop, not even cleaning.

You guys keep building stuff, I am living vicariously through all of you. Grin.

Billski

8. Oct 9, 2017 #148

BJC

BJC

BJC

Glad that you got to the physician quickly enough to have it repaired.

BJC

wsimpso1 likes this.
  9. Oct 9, 2017 #149

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

I did...

10. Oct 9, 2017 #150

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

That is getting serious....

11. Oct 9, 2017 #151

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Well, it was yesterday, but I finished sealing and clecoing my lower front skin in place... I wanted sealant there partly to seal out carbon monoxide, but also to help keep belly oil from migrating its way through the skin joint to the inside of the airplane. We've seen that on my dad's -6.

Eventually the firewall will be getting a full seal of fire sealant as well, but I can't really put that in place till the cowling hinges are drilled and my insulation (engine side) is installed.

I've been trying to finish the welding project I started months ago (a table for my wife) so I can get it out of the shop and free up some room. Been hitting it with a flap disc to clean up the mill scale, and only have one more part to weld on. Then I just have to fit and stain the wood top.

wsimpso1 likes this.
  12. Oct 9, 2017 #152

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Ouch. Sounds like a good opportunity to catch up on some reading.

13. Oct 9, 2017 #153

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

:shock:

What on earth did you do to cause all that? Or did it just happen?

Though good job getting it fixed quickly and not just waiting around...

14. Oct 9, 2017 #154

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Done a bunch of that, then spotted five plastic airplane models that have been sitting for 17 years. Just got paint and glue and stuff. I can do this eyeballs down.

Topaz likes this.
  15. Oct 9, 2017 #155

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

wsimpso1

Picked the wrong parents and then acquired age. Strongly nearsighted, which means elongated eyeballs, which stretches the forward part of the retina, which it resists, and causes lattice in the retina, which all increase the likelhood of tears and the retina slipping free of the tissue underneath. Then I had a posterior vitreous detachment, where the vitreous seperates from the retina, which happens to folks in their 50's, 60's, and 70's, and can cause tears and detachment of the retina. Two weeks after the PVD, the retina gave up, four holes, two tears, and slipped free of the tissue underneath.

The surgeon fixed all of the tears, lasered the lattice so it won't cause problems later, and lasered the edge of the retina to make it stay attached. We are waiting for the scarring to finish sealing things up. Given my history, he wants us to go for lasering the lattice in the other eye pre-emptively. It is common in Europe to just do that and not wait for detachment...

So, be careful picking your parents, and then don't get old...

Billski

16. Oct 10, 2017 #156

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

welded a friends Pitts tail reinforcing bushings for the tail strut reinforcements. Discovered I am pretty good when I have the right size orifice. Made calls to Powder Coaters, only one called back, $125 minimum, for my seat back, probably will not be going that way if they are all about the same. Made 3 calls to Epoxy Primer venders, and found out that all should not be effected by MEK. Decided to do some tests of my heat cured epoxy to see if what I have is effected after a heat cure. Somewhat frustrating not past this bottleneck. https://www.homebuiltairplanes.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28545&page=3&p=405712#post405712

17. Oct 10, 2017 #157

skier

skier

skier

I was pulling some rivets with my hand riveter when it decided to crap out. I guess I need a new riveter. Any suggestions other than a pneumatic one?

18. Oct 10, 2017 #158

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

I'm stuck. Lots to do but I can't find the magic solution to several big tasks. Usually, I just downshift into the next thing and hope the solution to the earlier problem will come to me eventually. Now I've kicked enough of them down the road that I have "builders block"... Can't even force myself to do the piddly stuff.

Now I'm cleaning the shop until this funk passes.

19. Oct 10, 2017 #159

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Moved the Pober into a bigger T-hangar today. At the end of the day I started test fitting my new instrument panel that I cut out and primed over the weekend. Have some trimming to do before it fits correctly.

The weather is finally getting comfortable enough to work in the hangar again.

Attached Files:

20. Oct 10, 2017 #160

TFF

TFF

TFF

Billski get better.
    The building funk is the hardest thing. A friend who does homebuilt projects with little funk showing, will go stick one bolt in, rivet one rivet, or glue one gusset on. Somehow the next time he shows up he will have a goal for that day. Not that he does not have setbacks, they tend to energize him to get back where he thought was.