What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 30, 2019 #1421

PTAirco

PTAirco

PTAirco

I'm actually working on my own stuff for a change. 1942 Aeronca L3B. Second wing is in the silver stage, should be done next week. Then reassemble the engine and bolt the whole thing together and fly it. First time since 1952.

cdlwingnut likes this.
  2. Aug 30, 2019 #1422

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Make sure to go get with Pete Plumb in Shafter, he has a Descender or a 65 TC or something like it.

3. Sep 5, 2019 #1423

BJC

BJC

BJC

Started installing the hinge that attaches the lower cowling to the fuselage.
    3216EFA1-B1D1-4EBE-9684-A2C092EACD1A.jpeg

BJC

mcrae0104 and cdlwingnut like this.
  4. Sep 6, 2019 #1424

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Nothing, thanks to Dorian (we left town and visited family, mainly because the thought of being cooped up in a house with a hyperactive 3 year old was much scarier than the storm).

But I got in about an hour of flying this morning and greased both of the landings, then made some suggestions to Dad on ways to deal with his high #3 CHT.

5. Sep 6, 2019 #1425

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

Bill-Higdon

One landed at 7S5 last spring other than gloss instead of drab finish looked very close to original military. He was looking for the original type of radio transmitter & receiver to go in it

6. Sep 6, 2019 #1426

Dave Hodges

Dave Hodges

Dave Hodges

Riveted some leading edge. I'll let the students finish up. 15677735942867767429810320245581.jpg

cdlwingnut likes this.
  7. Sep 14, 2019 #1427

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Painted the accessory case, vacuum pump drive housing, and governor housing. Ran the first set of wiring conduit in the fuselage, and looked at some options for routing other wires and the smoke system line. Gotta order some fittings and such. I'll finish engine inventory soon, and once I work up the guts to write the check I'll order the engine parts.

cdlwingnut likes this.
  8. Sep 16, 2019 #1428

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Did taxi tests and engine performance evaluations on the jet. It's working great. All the engine perameters are within spec (no shock - it's a turbine).

Did some mild aborted TO to about 30 knots. Fun! Lot of push with that little engine when the jet is light.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 16, 2019
    cdlwingnut, delta and Topaz like this.
  9. Sep 16, 2019 #1429

bifft

bifft

bifft

Flew with the wheel pants and gear fairings on. No intersection fairings yet. Gave me another 20mph on the top end, and the extra air fixed by CHT problem, at least in cruise. Top speed is now limited by engine RPM instead of CHT. Around 150KIAS have to throttle back to keep RPM under 2700. Top out 160 or so. Prop (Catto three blade) is labeled 3000, but I'm not racing or anything so try to be nice to my engine.

However it turned my nice ball in the center plane into one that needs a bit of right rudder in cruise. Guess I didn't do as good a job as I thought on alignment. Second flight with just the gear fairings and no pants still had the problem, so it looks like wheel pants are Ok. Will need to adjust fairings.

Also at long last cleared for aerobatics in my plane, so got some of this from my video camera:

[​IMG]

cdlwingnut and delta like this.
  10. Sep 16, 2019 #1430

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Minimal progress, just some thinking. Mostly been updating my resume. All purchases are on hold until I know whether I still have a job at the end of October. It's unlikely that I'll be affected but it would be foolish to drop money on airplane parts right now.

11. Sep 16, 2019 #1431

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

A quick flight to Australia?

cheapracer and bifft like this.
  12. Sep 21, 2019 #1432

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Lately I've had more time available to work in the shop, which is nice. Fabbed up and painted center covers for the fuel pump, lines, and electrical runs. Was dreading this for a long time but it turned out surprisingly well and I actually enjoyed it.

For now, I'll continue with more systems runs and computer work (wiring diagrams and preliminary panel layout) while awaiting the passage of the layoff reaper. It's been hinted that I need not worry, but I'm sort of wondering if I should paint the edges of my cube with some lamb's blood or something just in case...

cdlwingnut likes this.
  13. Oct 9, 2019 #1433

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

So, when you have something to fly the other projects tend to slow somewhat:(. However, flying is what this is supposed to be about.
    I found after re-installing the engine mount on the Tailwind, my math was faulty! Wings were not at all level, so I unbolted gear leg and adjusted the airframe to the correct attitude and proceeded to drill a new hole for the gear leg. After careful alignment and tightening up the leg clamp,I proceeded to drill the new hole. First side went reasonably well. The backside not so much. bought home 4 boxes of drillbits to sharpen. Yay!
    I decided to reuse the original cowl but was concerned the inlets were to small to be effective and started doing research. The cowl weighs a ton and I decided to rework the inlets to be more presentable. I am adding the "ramps" to the upper cowl. Any other best practices to consider?
    The oil cooler is on the front baffle and not well supported. I am thinking of relocating, and looking for input. Would get rid of a lot of weight out front.

cdlwingnut likes this.
  14. Oct 10, 2019 #1434

deskpilot

deskpilot

deskpilot

Morphett Vale, South Australia. Just south of Adel
    Finally fitted a new wind-screen.

DSCF5817.JPG DSCF5818.JPG

cheapracer likes this.
  15. Oct 10, 2019 #1435

N804RV

N804RV

N804RV

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

Oh? ....Do tell!

After finally finishing the engine R&R to replace worn/damaged magneto drive gear and spacer on the Sonerai, I finally got back in the air last week. Today, was the first day in a month I actually went to the shop to do a little D-S-P on RV-8 fuselage aft bulkheads. Yay, I've got parts to rivet!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2019
  16. Oct 10, 2019 #1436

Mcmark

Mcmark

Mcmark

The Cuby in my avatar. Finally got it flying this summer after several years of repairs and rigging a “flying” airplane. Sure it did....
    Spent last evening cutting away the existing inlets on the bottom cowl and removed excess resin everywhere. Some people should not be allowed to use glass and resin. What a mess. Have more to remove.
    Will start putting it back together early next week.
    Made the decision to move oil cooler to rear baffle. Will have to get engine hung, maybe Monday.

17. Nov 3, 2019 #1437

TFF

TFF

TFF

Thought I was ready for my first engine run. Just a start to check leaks and oil pressure; no cowl. I put a gallon of fuel in the tank. I did not want a bunch in there sitting. Start to push out and I see a puddle. Hmmm. Fuel line from fuel shutoff to gascolator leaking. Drain fuel. Remove line and it disintegrates coming out. Yea. I replaced the ones in the engine compartment; did not think of this one being a problem. Wrong.

18. Nov 3, 2019 #1438

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

I designed a whole new tail, now waiting for my sheets of 6061 to arrive so I can start building it.

So starting to take individual CAD 3D panels, flatening them out, and exporting them to .DXF 2D files so the cnc laser can cut them out, and then ready for folding where appropriate.

flattery.jpg

flattery2.jpg

flattery3.jpg

19. Nov 4, 2019 #1439

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

in order for this to work...and I seem to remember your other posts it's working....it need Precision CNC mill,punch,laser,or water-jet to cut/drill,...precision bending ( Amada for example)

20. Nov 4, 2019 #1440

cheapracer

cheapracer

cheapracer

Normal press brake (why they don't call them a bender or folder ....)

The cnc laser cut sheet have nipples on them to show where the sheet is positioned in the brake.

fold.jpg

gtae07 and proppastie like this.