What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Aug 13, 2019 #1401

TFF

TFF

TFF

The Ugly Stick is so much better looking. I have seen Rockiedog fly his and they are pretty impressive without trying too hard. To me the 701 looks like it’s made of aluminum foil, but how strong does it have to be? Strong enough.

2. Aug 14, 2019 #1402

bluegrass-engineer

bluegrass-engineer

bluegrass-engineer

I mostly finished riveting the right wing of my Zenith 750 Cruzer. Working on this wing was a real learning experience, so I hope the left wing will go faster. I still need to plumb the fuel tank, button up the covering panel, and install the wing tips, but I am now moving on to the left wing. Need to strike while the brain still remembers details. :)

Attached Files:

cdlwingnut and pictsidhe like this.
  3. Aug 21, 2019 #1403

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Getting the Rocket prepped for first flight this weekend. Buttoned it up, washed 3 years of dirt off, and did one final engine run/taxi test. Since the airplane is so close to first flight, the taxi test (really just checking the O2 sensor and prop hub seal) was treated as a "flight". Good thing - tail up, about to close the throttle, and along comes a gust of wind. Now I'm flying and drifting off the side. So I keep the power in and fly the pattern to an uneventful landing.

So the Rocket has flown - 1 week shy of 3 years since last flight.

bmcj, mcrae0104, gtae07 and 5 others like this.
  4. Aug 21, 2019 #1404

TFF

TFF

TFF

Got it flying! It’s amazing how fast those one month projects go.

BJC likes this.
  5. Aug 21, 2019 #1405

BJC

BJC

BJC

Congratulations.

Pictures, please.

BJC

6. Aug 21, 2019 #1406

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

And that is why you treat high-speed taxi runs like a flight, and don’t do them till you and the airplane are ready for flight.

Toobuilder likes this.
  7. Aug 21, 2019 #1407

Marc W

Marc W

Marc W

I completed the 40 hour Phase 1 flight testing this morning in my CX4. I would have taken a picture but I forgot the camera.

Regardless, I still have some minor oil leaks and I still have to finish my improved cabin ventilation system. The airplane still needs polishing and the cowl still needs finishing. It is due for an oil change and I will inspect everything next. It is still ugly but it is performing well. However, I am off the 25 mile leash!

delta, TFF, BJC and 2 others like this.
  8. Aug 22, 2019 #1408

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Indeed. The only thing lacking here was test cards, nomex, and safety chase. This weekend will fix that oversight.

Working on cards now, I have 2 chase Rockets at the ready, and the nomex is in the closet.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  9. Aug 24, 2019 #1409

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Just completed a proper test flight on the Rocket. No major issues. Was most worried about keeping new cylinders cool enough for break in (August, So Cal desert), but it appears my cooling mods are effective. Highest CHT I saw was a relatively benign 377. This is after full throttle, 2600 RPM for an hour. Oil temps slowly kept creeping on me and I was going to "knock it off" at 235, but it topped at 229. Still have a raw, unfinished induction scoop inlet, but even still I was able to match my chase airplanes MP (24.3). This is already better than I saw in the pre mod configuration, and I expect a noticable improvement when the inlet lip is finished.

The SDS EFI was flawless. I was running the manual mixture knob a bit richer than the base program but other than that the system was essentially invisible to me. Throttle response on short final was crisp and instantaneous, and idle quality on taxi out and back was perfect. It's a cliche, but it "runs like a new car".

Landed without incident and pulled the cowl. A few drops of oil from a couple spots but overall looks clean and dry.

Good test. Hope to add a few more hours this weekend on top of today's 1.0

Last edited: Aug 24, 2019
    Red Jensen, delta, BJC and 1 other person like this.
  10. Aug 25, 2019 #1410

bifft

bifft

bifft

Finally finished condition inspection, but need to get biennial done before I can fly. So started on the gear/wheel fairings.

11. Aug 25, 2019 #1411

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

Mostly been getting non-shop work done lately. Alternator research and education (finally understand how they work and what all the connections do, and how one can mod an internally-regulated one to be externally-regulated), a lot of work on my electrical diagrams, inventorying my engine parts and comparing them to the IPC to figure out what I need and what I don’t, and getting ready to order my SDS EFI package. I’d originally figured on ordering that later, but it would make more sense to go ahead and get it before building the engine and that way I can start integrating it all at once.

Wife starts grad school next week so it’s causing a little juggling of the finances but I should still be able to build my engine up and have it hung this year. I’ll have to preserve it in place while I do a lot of other work but having it there will let me do a lot of systems work, cowl work, baffles, etc. and will let me save up for things like a prop and avionics.

12. Aug 25, 2019 #1412

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

If you are planning to use the recent Kitplanes article as a "how to" for modifying your ND alternator to external regulation, don't! It's wrong. The pictures will lead you down the wrong path. I eventually figured it out and it works like a charm, but it took a bit of time to get there.

13. Aug 25, 2019 #1413

gtae07

gtae07

gtae07

I didn't know there was a recent Kitplanes article about this... the one I was looking at is here: http://www.aeroelectric.com/articles/Alternators/One-Wire_Alternator_Conversion.pdf

The illustrations aren't the greatest but I get the general idea now; once I get my hands on one the remaining questions should clear up. The biggest thing I picked up from this and other articles is how the field goes in, how it affects performance, and the general picture of the "stuff" inside. I never really understood it before.

Really, I'd sort of rather skip the whole four-prong connector (as described in the article) altogether if possible and just have a single lead come directly to the brush from the regulator, but as I said, it'll probably make more sense once I have actual hardware in hand.

14. Aug 25, 2019 #1414

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

Kyle Boatright

I sanded doors. Again.

I'll hard shell them again, sand once more, and hopefully prime the exterior next weekend.

15. Aug 27, 2019 #1415

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Flew 1.5 yesterday (3.3 total). Still chasing minor issues but the core engine is running smooth and cool. Day off from flying today to work some fiberglass and other minor stuff.

Short video from yesterday highlighting the miracle of EFI on an aircraft piston engine. Hot start issues - GONE. (GTAE07: this is what you have to look forward to)

gtae07 and delta like this.
  16. Aug 29, 2019 #1416

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Down today and tomorrow for some flight test related updates. Biggest is getting my fiberglass exhaust augmentor duct to survive. currently lined with Fiberfrax and SS foil, the drumming is cracking the foil in places. I've added sheets of .016 Titanium to the hardest hit areas. One of my pipes is off axis though, and has managed to burn through the SS foil in one spot. Need to add a "kicker" to the pipe to get it off the wall of the duct.

Also, it looks like I have managed.to achieve something close to laminar flow out the duct. The oil and soot streaks flow right onto the lower fuse skin without reversion. Temp survey of the skin shows that the floor is too hot to touch with a bare hand in flight. I'll add a "kicker" see if I can trip the air off the floor and cool it down.

Engine is cooling well, but at the expense of the fuselage.

17. Aug 30, 2019 #1417

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Please forgive the fact that this pales in comparison to Toobuilder's actual scientific engineering adventures, but...
    Last week I flew from KWHP to an undisclosed need-to-know location in Arizona to lay hands on the E-AB project I will be buying. Just as described to me by phone. Needs some work, not that much, safely built, and perfectly matches my middle name (Cheeeap). Check.

I had previously located a good deal (really good) on an engine for it. Verified it is still available. Will be sold to me by a friend who has specific factory training in this type of engine, and will make himself available to help make sure I install and operate it correctly. Check.

The other day, thanks to the HBA member mentioned below, I located a main landing gear spring (project was missing the MLG), available at a very attractive price. Instead of sending it down from Alaska, he's coming to visit family in the Lower 48 in a few weeks, and can ship it form there, matching the (aforementioned) middle name. Check.

Made arrangements with a distinguished, high-brain-function HBA member to get him into an unused (and highly prized) hangar at my home airport... then dropped the PsyOps bomb on him that I will cheerfully allow him to fly my "normal" airplane to build time... which will allow me to keep the normal airplane in the hangar that he pays for... without having to get another hangar or tiedown... preventing my wife from feeding me to the Dachshund in small pieces... and creating room for me to work on the new project in my workshop... without putting the normal airplane outside. Check. (add stereotypical Bond villain maniacal evil laugh)

Last edited: Aug 30, 2019
    delta, TerryM76 and Mcmark like this.
  18. Aug 30, 2019 #1418

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

You'll probably want sharks with fricken laser beams on their heads.

19. Aug 30, 2019 #1419

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

...or ill tempered sea bass.

TerryM76 likes this.
  20. Aug 30, 2019 #1420

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

Drilling/deburr lots of holes.