What did you do on your airplane project today?

Discussion in 'Workshop Tips and Secrets / Tools' started by cdlwingnut, Sep 17, 2017.

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes Forum by donating:

1. Oct 2, 2017 #121

proppastie

proppastie

proppastie

A canopy mockup .....cardboard if it is a flat wrap, if it is a bubble/formed...Paper mache over a contour board form. (slice in computer, cardboard boards, and spline between boards)

2. Oct 3, 2017 #122

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

I learned something neat this morning, leaf springs can be taken apart... (with care not to decapitate yourself with crossbow under tension force) which means, I can do this...

[​IMG]

Before ~ In progress

Live with inspiration... and follow the music inside you, where ever it may take you... you only got one go 'round on the merry go round

Make your world exactly like you want it to be, and let that empowerment be the wind in your sails to carry you whereever you want to be...

Sitting in the dirt, on my butt with a grinder in hand, I'm happy... and right where I want to be, in the moment of the now, oblivious, while all the universe and stars rotates around my shade tree workshop

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  3. Oct 3, 2017 #123

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

ScaleBirdsScott

Not so much today but over the last couple days, learned how to tear down and rebuild a Verner radial, and came up with some ideas for how to build the exhaust when we mount it to our new plane.

4. Oct 3, 2017 #124

TerryM76

TerryM76

TerryM76

Well-Known Member HBA Supporter

You are using the other type of CAD.......cardboard-aided-design.

5. Oct 3, 2017 #125

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

Chris In Marshfield

I'm finding that I'm removing my Bearhawk plans from their plastic folder, unfolding them, shuffling them, refolding them, and putting them back in their folder a lot. It's really starting to take its toll on them. Another builder suggested this portfolio for the plans, and it's perfect:

ITOYA 18 inch x 24 inch Original Art Profolio Presentation Book/Portfolio- for Art, Photography, and Documents
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00009R8XD/

At $38, it's a great investment to protect your expensive plans! So today I took my plans out of their folder for the last time and put them in the portfolio.

portfolio3.jpg portfolio2.jpg portfolio1.jpg

MadRocketScientist and BJC like this.
  6. Oct 5, 2017 #126

tralika

tralika

tralika

DSC04123(1).jpg

I weighed my plane. 759 lbs. I'm almost done!

John Nealon
    Wasilla, Alaska
    Highlander Extreme
    mykitlog.com/jnealon

7. Oct 5, 2017 #127

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Mark Schoening

Cleveland brakes on cassutt....drip under calipers......suspended plane, removed brakes, cleaned, new seals, reassemble, suck in new fluid, WO-LA....Hard pedal ....first time --- no spill....What Happened?

8. Oct 5, 2017 #128

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Started hooking up wiring and connectors between the components of the HKS engine, terrified that I was doing something incorrectly. (I am to electrical wiring what Orson Welles was to ballet dancing)

Ruminated over the best and safest way to tie down and route the wires, connectors, ground leads, etc.

Went through old dusty box of instruments collected over the years, and found several good Westach gauges. Installed gauges in (tiny!!) instrument pod in nose cone of Kolb ultralight.

Received box from ACS containing !(#*% expensive EGT and CHT probes.

Topaz likes this.
  9. Oct 5, 2017 #129

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Well, yesterday...

Spent more time weighing canopy pros and cons. Need to sit down and update my initial layout drawing to explore the flat-wrap, fiberglass "dome" option, to see if that provides enough visibility for this project, and how to put such a thing together.

Started building the next section of spreadsheet for the design. Hooked up several modules from previous design-study sheets to work together, making a smoother, easier-to-use design tool. This is all in Google Sheets.

ScaleBirdsScott likes this.
  10. Oct 6, 2017 #130

Mark Z

Mark Z

Mark Z

Installed new gascolator on my Champ. I was so overjoyed that my very own plumbing didn’t leak so I cowled it up and flew it. It fired up on the first blade after sitting several weeks!

Topaz and BJC like this.
  11. Oct 6, 2017 #131

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

My evening's work consisted of opening a box from SDS and hanging a piece of modern art on the nose of the Rocket

[​IMG]

Easy, but very satisfying. Saved a little weight and looks great too!

12. Oct 6, 2017 #132

12notes

12notes

12notes

Well-Known Member Lifetime Supporter

Tried and failed to find a local source for a 24"x24" 0.020" or 0.016" stainless sheet for the firewall. Purchased and took home some 6061-T6 angle for the side rails and rear stringers. Ordered 3 aluminum sheets for bulkheads and fuselage skins, and ~4000 rivets, should get here Tuesday. I intended to start on the firewall tomorrow, but it looks like I'll just be making the side rails.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  13. Oct 6, 2017 #133

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

cdlwingnut

Mixed up some T-88 and glued together the fin and rudder

14. Oct 7, 2017 #134

choppergirl

choppergirl

choppergirl

[​IMG]

My secret ingredient is love. Or 175 F for one hour. In you go, just like those feral kids next door... Hansel and Gretel... whatever their names were...
    Someone give me some Roses to paint, because now I'm feeling all Red Queen like...

That kerosene like smell I'm smelling, makes me think in retrospect, maybe I shouldn't of used gasoline as my paint thinner to clean my brushes, but acetone like the paint can said... all out of nail polish remover... maybe I better open the door once or twice... lest things get explosive in this thread.

Dunno about you guys, but I like to sing and hum to myself while I bake...

This one to the tune of Ghostbusters:
    Reasonable rates, inquire within! I rescue any plane on my plane hauling flatbed trailer within the tri-state area! If it's stuck in a tree, don't fret it, we'll get it down. Just throw rocks at it until it comes down...! Call me, before you call some hillbilly with a backhoe, I'll be nice to your plane just like it was my own. Because I could be buying it off of you soon at salvage value, so... yeah, Bubba, be careful where you swing that bucket! Geez, man you almost hit me! Hit the tree with the bucket, ya big doofus, da plane will fall out just like we do with duh big ol' pecan trees. Try and land it right on the trailer this time. How many beers am I paying you anyway, it's too many...

Just say my name three times in a row and I am there

Last edited: Oct 7, 2017
    Vision_2012 likes this.
  15. Oct 7, 2017 #135

TFF

TFF

TFF

I bet the next batch of cookies are going to be yummy.

pictsidhe likes this.
  16. Oct 7, 2017 #136

Topaz

Topaz

Topaz

Super Moderator

Actually had the entire morning for airplane work this Saturday! :ban:

Made a fair amount of progress. Knocked down quite a number of check-boxes on the conceptual design checklist. Into sizing now, and finding that getting even a fairly modest range with two "modern" people (200#) plus baggage for a weekend trip for two is going to be challenging. There's no free lunch.

I was going to spend some time on the DS54 today, but I got carried away with the progress I'm making on this design. Ooops. I'll try to make that up later today, after "honey-do's". ;)

MadRocketScientist likes this.
  17. Oct 7, 2017 #137

Lucrum

Lucrum

Lucrum

More welding today
    Finally got all the joints done on the bulk of the fuselage tubing
    Next step, the nose section

18. Oct 8, 2017 #138

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Toobuilder

Fwd stick is now ball bearing equipped, painted and ready to install. Of course the whole torque tube came out to address some lubrication and clearance issues. All rigged, lubed and painted, ready to go back in the ship.

I can't believe I was flying it like that...

19. Oct 8, 2017 #139

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Victor Bravo

Drove across town to buy a Bosch automotive oil pressure gauge yesterday, because the cost of the gauge and its included matching sender were less than buying a sender for the Westach oil pressure gauge I already have. Westach gauges use 240 ohm senders, which are apparently somewhat uncomomon, and more expensive.

Today I continued fitting gauges to the Kolb instrument panel. After weeks of trying to figure out how to get super tiny gauges to provide all the engine info that the engine mfg. demands, I finally realized that I had to make a new instrument panel with six instrument holes instead of five. So I cut the center of the fiberglass integrally molded panel out of the nose cone, removed the aluminum doubler, and laid out a new aluminum instrument panel.

The new panel has one 2 inch hole to fit the Bosch oil temp gauge. It has three 2.032 holes to allow two Westach engine gauges and one UMA altimeter to be mounted "backwards", meaning the instrument slides into the hole from the front and the mounting flange is sticking out above the instrument panel. (Thi allowed closer spacing, as opposed to the more attractive "flush" mounting of instruments form behind the panel). It has two 3 inch holes to allow two standard size 3 1/8 inch instruments (tachometer and altimeter) to alsobe mounted form the front side. A large amount of effort (and extra effort) was put forth, to allow me to use instruments that I already have. The budget for this airplane is very tight these days, and so I am making decisions and using parts that I would do differently otherwise.

Tonight before I left the airport, I cut the new panel out of .040 2024-T3 because there is now no fiberglass backing. The aluminum will take more loads than it did before.

Also ordered and received new EGT and CHT sending units from Aircraft Spruce for the Westach gauges,a nd started running the wiring for those.

20. Oct 8, 2017 #140

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

pictsidhe

Have my usb stick and a lazy evening. I've been pondering a different lift distribution to the sin^3 one I've been using so far, so waded into the spreadsheet. Changing the lift distribution to sin^n(x) was easy, as was calculating the centre of lift. The twist distribution is eluding me. An exact solution looked a bit f#!&ing hard, so I tried doing a numerical integration. It's broken, and I can't work out why :depressed