What did you do on your airplane project today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Realizing that "perfection is the enemy of good enough", the Rocket cowl has been cleaned up and shot with a coat of the finest Rust-Oleum rattle can white paint my corner hardware store carries... Off to Reno!

View attachment 129827

Well, looks like you don't have to worry about cutting the grass before you go!

-YH

TFF

Moved to Louisiana last year. I still do some work at the old airport. The old hangar switched hands to a different friend. They were not saying a word but I knew they wanted the space.

BJC

Supporting Member
Moved to Louisiana last year.
Was in French Settlement, LA, a few months ago for a funeral. The culture there is totally different from where I now live, but anyone who loves outdoor activities like hunting, fishing, boating or camping could love it there and forget about all other states’ issues and the imperial government’s wokeness.

BJC

TFF

It’s where my wife is from. Attitude is slightly different, but they had a lock down of the borders during the pandemic, so they are a little overbearing. Tennessee is more balanced. It’s more about nuances.

Pops

Supporting Member
Thanks. It looks like they open more than other bi-fold doors of the same closed height.

WRT cables: there should be an open lock that keeps the doors from falling should the cable fail.

BJC
My door has 4 -- 1/4" dia cables, 25' long. They last about 4 years before replacement . Door is open about 400 times a year. Its now 25 years old and the side of one pulley is wearing and needs replaced. When the door is up against the up limit the cables are pulling to one side of the the pulley enough to cause wear. So I usually just open as needed. Think I'll go ahead and replace all of the pulleys on the next cable change in about a year. 48'x60' Miracle truss building with their 44' x 12' door.

Reactions: BJC

Marc W

Changed the oil in the Rans and made some patterns for cowl flaps. It is running just a little colder than I like and it isn't winter yet so it is getting cowl flaps.

N804RV

Supporting Member
Update on my game of "Hangar Tetris":

Got all the household goods out of storage locker and old hangar (no more storage locker rent, yay!). But, until I can move all the parts from the house to the hangar, some household stuff had to come to the new hangar.

Building a detached "free-standing" heavy duty shelf unit across the base of the T in my new 40' T hangar. The shelf is 17' long and 6' high and 22" deep. Since its free-standing, I built outriggers to make sure it can't tip forward.

Next step is to move all loose airplane parts and hardware to the new hangar. This includes the wings, empennage group and hardware. The fuselage will stay at home until I get the layout of the new hangar organized/finalized.

This pic is slightly skewed because I used the X0.5 zoom feature on my iphone.

52518418574_f6fe06348c_c.jpg

Last edited:

TerryM76

Supporting Member
My door has 4 -- 1/4" dia cables, 25' long. They last about 4 years before replacement . Door is open about 400 times a year. Its now 25 years old and the side of one pulley is wearing and needs replaced. When the door is up against the up limit the cables are pulling to one side of the the pulley enough to cause wear. So I usually just open as needed. Think I'll go ahead and replace all of the pulleys on the next cable change in about a year. 48'x60' Miracle truss building with their 44' x 12' door.
I'm looking at adding a workshop on my property here in Tempe and will probably go with Miracle Truss. Is that building working well for you, Pops?