What did you do on your airplane project today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

rsrguy3

Air dry only. It has good temp tolerance, plus I don't trust the bake process for something this critical.

dwalker

Supporting Member
Air dry only. It has good temp tolerance, plus I don't trust the bake process for something this critical.

I was wondering the same thing about oven heating the parts for the complete cure time. I cerakote gun parts here and there and it is awesome but I am often concerned about the heat cure.

rsrguy3

Heat isn't required to cure c series. It takes a week to attain full cure and durability.

dwalker

Supporting Member
You mainly do shake and bake though with weapons right?

Shake and bake?
I use a HVLP or LVLP airgun to lay down the thinnest coat I can then bake. I am not aware that H series even comes in a spray can, but then I really only use the products I know. It is actually a fair amount of prep before that that is specific to using the bake on Cerakote. most notably the acetone bath and outgassing.
In theory as best practice you should acetone bath and outgas parts for the C-Series, but standard bodyshop practice is probably OK.

rsrguy3

Prep… prep, shake, stir, shake (the cerakote in the bottle) dry and bake… just my goofy sense of humor.

I acetone bath everything I can. The rest (to big)gets drenched while being brushed then rinsed again.

Bill-Higdon

Two Saturdays ago my crew of youngsters built most of the lower skin of the Zenith 750 tailcone. Yesterday they did about half of the left sidewall of the rear tailcone (the uprights and diagonals). The little gremlins were deburring and cleco'ing and riveting like mad!
292 was lucky enough to have an assistant small enough to do the work in the tail cone on our current RV-9 project

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Finished making one side of my disk break adapters for my 6 inch main wheels.

The adapters will fit over the wheel's existing bolt holes and I have welded an extension tube that will allow for clearance of the rim and an area to mount the brake disk to. Steel construction. Light weight

Was not excited about using the band breaks that came with the kit.

-Yellowhammer

TFF

It was invented as an alternative to blueing guns. You will have to Google all the chemicals. Zink phosphate and stuff. I think it also resists magnetism. With a cam it helps the cam break in because it will hold oil for the initial startup and it’s self will cushion while the cam and lifter burnishes in. Roller cams don’t need any of it.

Martti Mattila

I need to pacth my buddys Twinstar wing. I made a rotissier for that. Black part is from big furniture wheel. The other eng is not so handy to use but will do for now cause I dont neet to rotate it all the time. Now the rag phase begins I am only semi professional with Ceconite, done more with cotton.

Attachments

• IMG_0235.JPG
    IMG_0235.JPG
    784.3 KB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0236.JPG
    IMG_0236.JPG
    842.9 KB · Views: 0