What did you do on your airplane project today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Marc W

I made a flight after replacing the ignition coils on my Jabiru 3300. The engine is feeling much better now! The old coils checked out fine on the mag check and also checked out good on mag checks during cruise. However, the engine had an annoying habit of misfiring during climbout after takeoff unless the mixture was adjusted just right. It was worse the last couple flights in hot weather. Last flight I had to level out and drastically reduce power to get it to run right. So I ordered two new coils and installed them.

The coils are Honda small engine coils. Two coils, delivered to my mailbox was $76. The engine installation manual says blast tubes are reguired to cool the coils. My engine did not have them so I made blast tubes also. The new cool coils took care of the misfire. Another small step in my work to make this a fully useable airplane!

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Today, I had 20 of my little Cleco-Maniacs show up (and their parents) to continue our CH-750 build. With a great deal of barking and howling by me and my co-instructors... they put the bottom side of the tailcone together, including the lower skin, the lower longerons, cross members, diagonal stiffeners, and the trademark Zenith "Z" channel reinforcements around the "hell hole" access hatch on the lower fuselage skin.

In a couple of hours, they deburred, clecoed, and more or less got the bottom ready for riveting.

Last edited:

SpruceForest

Today, I had 20 of my little Cleco-Maniacs show up (and their parents) to continue out CH-750 build. With a great deal of barking and howling by me and my co-instructors... they put the bottom side of the tailcone together, including the lower skin, the lower longerons, cross members, diagonal stiffeners, and the trademark Zenith "Z" channel reinforcements around the "hell hole" access hatch on the lower fuselage skin.

In a couple of hours, they deburred, clecoed, and more or less got the bottom ready for riveting.

Not to make light of addictive behaviors, but I say hook them early on something constructive that keeps them away from the malevolent glare of the TV screen or computer monitor.

gtae07

Remade the left brake line down the gear leg that I was never really happy with, started rough fitting the leg fairings, and sanded some more on the canopy skirt. I probably wouldn't mind all the fiberglass if it didn't involve having to fill and sand a bunch. My standard for surface waviness tolerance and aesthetics is rapidly decreasing. I just want to move on to hanging the danged engine already...

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Not to make light of addictive behaviors,
Oh hell, I'm from LA... you can totally make fun of our addictions! One of the most well-written TV sitcoms in history ("Mom") makes light of this stuff as its stock in trade. Anybody that doesn't make fun of our addictions... isn't from here :)

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Here is a little 45 second video that one of the moms who showed up Saturday created showing our youth build program. I am well aware that several others here on this forum have been involved with youth aircraft build projects before this one, and have more experience than we do. But I'm still bursting with pride on how our program is going!

EAA Chapter 40 Youth Aircraft Build

Bill-Higdon

Here is a little 45 second video that one of the moms who showed up Saturday created showing our youth build program. I am well aware that several others here on this forum have been involved with youth aircraft build projects before this one, and have more experience than we do. But I'm still bursting with pride on how our program is going!

EAA Chapter 40 Youth Aircraft Build
Looks good,

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
This is a bit of a stretch for this thread but thought it interesting enough to share. My "first" project - my Hiperbipe - sold some years ago and lived in Minnesota. It just changed hands and guess what - a friend of a friend bought it, and its now right back here in SoCal. Met the guy last night and he is at EDW on staff at TPS. Turns out the custom wheel pants I made for the thing were significantly damaged by the prior owner and as a result I may be making another set for the guy. So in a sense it may be "my" project again.

Would be great if I get to fly it again.

gtae07

I hate sanding.

Potted in the wheel pant mounts and did some more sanding/filling on the canopy skirt. Takes ages by hand; the high spots go fast with the Mouse but then my hands are vibrating for a bit. Did I mention I hate sanding? I don't mind working with drywall mud but this stuff sucks.

I'd rather deburr every single part on my airplane all over again than do all this filling and sanding. If I could find a local builder I would offer to trade wiring for fiberglass finishing.

I hate sanding!

You composite builders are nuts...

TFF

I don’t think anyone likes sanding. I remember as a kid making something, my dad would say keep sanding, or not enough sanding. For a kid it was torture.

My main rule is stay away from power tools. Nothing will mess it up faster. Also don’t think about other things. It’s a meditation moment. Set the sanding goal and do. You can’t do a good job thinking of other things.

There is always a point where you are done and that’s your level of finish. Show finishes are from people who can just do with no shortcuts.

Wiring is as exciting as sanding. Same philosophy. Do the plan and don’t think. Point to point. Check. Next.

Neither is jump in where you want. There is a step 1,2,3… that is predetermined. If you don’t already got that, it’s hard to settle down and just do it.

I’m building a house right now. I’m building the house. Talk about wanting it done. I’m in a malaise point where things all have to reach a point before continuing, and they are all short of completion. They are all no fun. The fun part is dreaming how good it will be and the planning. Work is just plain work, no matter if you are good at it or like it.

Pops

Supporting Member
I don’t think anyone likes sanding. I remember as a kid making something, my dad would say keep sanding, or not enough sanding. For a kid it was torture.

My main rule is stay away from power tools. Nothing will mess it up faster. Also don’t think about other things. It’s a meditation moment. Set the sanding goal and do. You can’t do a good job thinking of other things.

There is always a point where you are done and that’s your level of finish. Show finishes are from people who can just do with no shortcuts.

Wiring is as exciting as sanding. Same philosophy. Do the plan and don’t think. Point to point. Check. Next.

Neither is jump in where you want. There is a step 1,2,3… that is predetermined. If you don’t already got that, it’s hard to settle down and just do it.

I’m building a house right now. I’m building the house. Talk about wanting it done. I’m in a malaise point where things all have to reach a point before continuing, and they are all short of completion. They are all no fun. The fun part is dreaming how good it will be and the planning. Work is just plain work, no matter if you are good at it or like it.
Building a new house. At the price of the gold plated scrap lumber and all other supplies, I feel sorry for you. Took me 2 years to build the house and hanger were we live in 1997 and 98. To old to do it now.

TFF

Unluckily lumber has gone down right when I’m at the end of that part. Except plywood. I keep trying to wait it out. Wire is stupid right now. It’s double the last time I did any wiring and I never have had to buy a whole house worth. I’m through 1000 ft like candy, and it will be great if it’s under 1000 more but I doubt it. Makes me think oil lamps aren’t such a bad idea. Insulation is high too. It really puts a dent in airplane time.

challenger_II

Unluckily lumber has gone down right when I’m at the end of that part. Except plywood. I keep trying to wait it out. Wire is stupid right now. It’s double the last time I did any wiring and I never have had to buy a whole house worth. I’m through 1000 ft like candy, and it will be great if it’s under 1000 more but I doubt it. Makes me think oil lamps aren’t such a bad idea. Insulation is high too. It really puts a dent in airplane time.
If you go oil lamp, Jet A is cheaper than Kero, and doesn't smoke as bad. :)

TFF

Still smells bad when burning. The local stuff has prist in it too, so you are breathing that. I did it for ten years plus ten of big jets Always felt oily at work even if just doing paperwork all day. At my old hanger we went propane turbo heaters. Cost was about the same and almost no smell.

My uncle had a cabin built. It was wired and all but was off grid and off electricity for ten years. He didn’t like hearing the generator run and it wasn’t some cheap contractor generator. All the rooms had gas lamps along with gas fridge and other stuff. It’s powered now, but he tried to keep it rustic. It was his way of keeping people away. My aunt got tired of having to go to bed at 6 because no one would come visit after dark.

Pops

Supporting Member
House wiring is gold. When I built our house and hanger I used 32-- 250' rolls. Hate to buy it now.
We have been wanting to build a small cabin on my daughter's farm but going to wait for a while.