What did you do on your airplane project today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

gtae07

Fixed the canopy (now you can easily open it from inside)
Troubleshot and corrected the non-functional seat heaters (turns out, the wire for "lighting" also powers the PWM module!)
Had an epiphany - I don't need to finish and attach the canopy skirt before lifting the fuselage for gear installation and fairing fit! I can leave all the fiberglass aside (mostly) and work it as time permits. Also found a local paint shop and may talk to them about doing the final fiberglass finishing (I'm willing to pay for it at this point; I HATE sanding and that might be my only path to flying by the end of next year).

Jimboagogo

Transponder case is mounted. I used bolts rather than rivets for easier removal should that become necessary. It's ugly, but it's strong and it's done.

Attachments

• 20220815_150816.jpg
    20220815_150816.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
  • 20220815_155822.jpg
    20220815_155822.jpg
    1,003.2 KB · Views: 0

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Hate to be "that guy", but bracing the unit near the center of the top lid places that membrane structure in bending. I think you can look forward to cracks eventually. Two simple pieces of fuel tube with a flattened end grabbing the sides would provide more than adequate tension and compression margin and be much lighter and simpler.

Offered only for constructive input.

Pops

Supporting Member
Helped my neighbor install the prop on his Kinner engine a couple days ago. Met Ed about 50 years ago when he first got his flight instructors. He is a IA and a retired airline capt.
Thought maybe some of you would like to know what a 1930 Kinner engine looks like. Going on a 1930 Bird bi-plane.

Attachments

• Ed's Kinner Engine 1930 #3.jpg
    Ed's Kinner Engine 1930 #3.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Ed's Kinner engine 1930 #2.jpg
    Ed's Kinner engine 1930 #2.jpg
    158.7 KB · Views: 0
  • Ed's Kinner engine 1930.jpg
    Ed's Kinner engine 1930.jpg
    141.4 KB · Views: 0

Jimboagogo

Hate to be "that guy", but bracing the unit near the center of the top lid places that membrane structure in bending. I think you can look forward to cracks eventually. Two simple pieces of fuel tube with a flattened end grabbing the sides would provide more than adequate tension and compression margin and be much lighter and simpler.

Offered only for constructive input.
Thanks! I hadn't fully considered the design other than it was what I had to work with. I did get several opinions from our group, as this is a team project but the angle needed to get from the mounting position on the console to the back of the case made it difficult to attach to the sides as I originally hoped. That contortion was beyond my skills, so we tried this. It's attached with bolts so if we encounter problems later, it can be changed out. Let's keep our fingers crossed on that one.

gtae07

Got the main gear installed and ran the (stainless hardline) brake lines. Started working the wheel pants too. Once those are aligned and drilled and the leg fairings are fitted I can downjack the airplane and let it stand on its own for the first time. And then it's time to hang the engine...

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
7651AD58-BC7E-418E-B45A-A1417DDA42A1.jpeg

Building my radio stack. Have this guy who is super fast cutting me aluminium panels from my CAD files but unfortunately all he got is 1xxx material which is super soft, but the panel is only 20cm high so should be okay as interim solution. Once it's all finalized avionics and fitting wise i'm gonna order some proper ones from FPE with labels and welded studs.

SpruceForest

160 ribs formed, straightened, and ready for fitting to the wing spars...next big job in the queue. About 280 hours total in getting from plans to templates to forms and then formed, etc. Bearhawk Patrol P-471.

160_Wing_Ribs_Done_Aug22.jpg IMG_3768.jpg IMG_3730.jpg

Last edited:

gtae07

Fitted and aligned the LH wheelpant, started on the RH. The three axis laser level was a worthwhile investment... wish I'd gotten one a long time ago, it would have made a lot of other "honey-do" projects easier too.