What did you do on your airplane project today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Last 2 weekends of work shown here.

First, I decided to pull air off the cooling inlets for my induction system. This required a new airbox with some tight geometry.

airbox1.jpg

And here is it installed:

Airbox2.jpg

It did penetrate the existing cowl OML, (as shown in my prior post) but the results were good enough to take out the sawzall and do some major surgery:

Airbox3.jpg

Next it was time to build the new chin. Mostly made of recycled foam board calendars. Pretty amazing how complex a shape you can get with faceting.

airbox4.jpg
Took most of the day to get it all fitted and glassed on the outside, and then pretty simple to do the inside this morning. Still has some final finishing to do but its pretty close now. Hope to fly it tomorrow. Here's hoping my MP is similar (as predicted), and the nose job gives me a bit more speed. Looks pretty good to me.

airbox5.jpg

Red Jensen

I'm getting close to finishing up fitting the splitter plates to my F-1 fuselage plug so I can make molds. These are the last of the fuselage group to be completed. Upper and lower cowling, canopy surround, canopy buck and the V tail molds are already done.

Red

Attachments

• Top Splitter.jpg
    Top Splitter.jpg
    372.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Bottom Splitter.jpg
    Bottom Splitter.jpg
    420.2 KB · Views: 0

Kyle Boatright

Supporting Member
I've had a lingering problem getting fuel gauges to read correctly. After many failed efforts that involved re-grounding the senders, taking out the senders and verifying they work properly, and reconfiguring various settings in the G3X, I finally tracked down the problem today:

Mislabeled wires from the harness supplier.

Him: "Send me a picture of the wire termination."

Me: "Here it is. See how I've terminated the white wire with your "fuel sender" label to the pickup on the sender?"

Him: "Crap. The white/orange wire is supposed to go to the sender."

Easy enough to fix. But I sure chased it for a long time.

So I'm down to 498 things to tweak. This was the biggest (IMO) remaining issue I was aware of. The rest are optimization/tuning rather than basic functionality.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Replaced the oil temp gauge this evening. I suspect it was original to the plane and installed before the fuselage was covered, I had to cut the capillary to get it out. 4 hours later the new one is in, but I have to open up the hold in the engine fitting ever so slightly, it goes in but I'm afraid of getting it stuck. Also replaced the grommet on the starter cable which was pretty much shot, not someplace you want a wire to wear through. After I get home in a couple of days from a business trip I'll finish putting the cowl back on and try to find somebody's help with the three screws on the side panel that need a second pair of hands. Trying to get it done for a longish cross country on Saturday, the business trip timing is terrible.

Toobuilder

Supporting Member
Flew the Rocket today with mixed results. The good news is that the MP was almost exactly the same as the chin scoop, as predicted. The cooling performance was also seemingly unaffected - considering I'm "stealing" a lot of CFM, that was a crap shoot, but I "hit". The TAS on the other hand was not any improvement, but in light of the rough air, that will require more data. Pulled the cowl off tonight to inspect for damage and movement and despite some very close quarters, no signs of clashing conditions. Pretty good result overall.

Last edited:

gtae07

Worked on more small tasks--finished the smoke tank assembly, installed the little red beacon on the belly, finally got the Garmin to pick up a signal (it's pickier than the Dynon and it's indoors), installed the canopy track extensions, finished panel lighting--and then finally had time to smear dry micro on half the canopy skirt. Reminds me of mudding drywall, kinda. I'll try to get the other half done sometime this week and then onward to the first round of sanding. And while it's still on the cart I'm going to level the ADHARS and then I can close up the tailcone.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
My business trip was cancelled when Air Canada cancelled my flight without warning just as I was leaving the house, so I got the plane all buttoned up after the oil temp gauge install. Fortunately a friend showed up for the crucial two minutes of assistance I needed to get the cowl hinge pins in and the one panel screw I couldn't reach both sides of. Now the gauges match. :)

1660096620623.png

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Overhead console with headphone jacks, hooks and remote mount. Been tinkering with this in Solidworks for a while and planned to just 3D print all parts but found this local laser cutting service and realized I can just export the hooks as DWF and have them cut it for cheap. Might try power coating them just for fun.
F5341701-1C24-4241-B5CC-2AA3832FC408.jpeg

Pops

Supporting Member
Was ready to paint the color paint over the Poly-Fiber silver ( Poly -spray) on the wings of the SSSC. Checked my paint supply and afraid that I may not have enough to finished the second wing so ordered 2 more quarts from Aircraft Spruce on July 25th. Haven't heard anything about the order that I did on line. Called yesterday and found out the they are out of the base and will be sometime after Sept 30th at the earliest. Now they tell me. Canceled the order.

Lot of things are getting hard to get. Bought a 1991 Chevy 1500 pickup to restore. Low mileage southern truck with Zero rust. Been in storage for a few years and needed exhaust system, brakes renewed, etc. Different parts of it is getting hard to find.

Last edited:
Took a break from building my Hiperbipe SNS-7 to take the wife on an Alaskan Cruise and now it's back to work I go. Originally the Prop Control was on each side of the panel but I'm putting it and Mixture and Throttle in the Quadrant. As depicted in the photo controls go thru a tunnel in the fuel tank. A bigger project than I thought but think it's worth it.

Attachments

• IMG_0777.JPG
    IMG_0777.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_0864_HEVC.MOV
    705 KB

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Overhead console with headphone jacks, hooks and remote mount.
Jan, are those hooks going to be in any position where they can injure someone in a hard landing? Perhaps it will be worth considering to make them "breakable" or easily "bend-able", with rounded or padded edges? I would certainly not want to have my head being thrown into the hooks shown in the photo :)

jandetlefsen

Supporting Member
Jan, are those hooks going to be in any position where they can injure someone in a hard landing? Perhaps it will be worth considering to make them "breakable" or easily "bend-able", with rounded or padded edges? I would certainly not want to have my head being thrown into the hooks shown in the photo :)
Good point. They sit behind the 2 front passengers. No seats in the rear. They are also attached to 3D printed cases with inserts that you could probably rip out with a plier if you tried.

pylon500

Supporting Member
OK, finished the flap I was working on Monday;
rivetted_flap.png
rivetted_flap2.png
Then modified the male and female rod-ends that join the inner (above) and outer flaps.
Needed to bottom tap the females for full thread and trim the males for maximum closer.
flap_links.png
(Lots of ways I could have done this, but will see how it goes...)
flap_join.png
All assembled;
three_flaps.png
I know I'm going to be fending off the purists for having fowler flaps instead of split flaps, but I need my stall speed and short field capability.
(Just realised I didn't 'shrink' the pictures... see what happens 🤷‍♂️)

gtae07

Put dry micro on the other half of the canopy skirt (will probably need one more coat after sanding though)
Leveled the ADHARS units
Fit attach points for the interior panels and installed them for some fit checks

Next up is sanding the canopy skirt and getting the canopy to open more smoothly (the aft pins stick)