What did you do on your airplane project today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Chris.r.Ingram

Got half of the aileron bulkheads pressed out, need to flip the die over and do the other 20. With the new puppy, the whole house being sick and yard work/gardening taking up all my time last week. Hoping to get them done this week and then move on the the aileron ribs.
Still waiting impatiently for my wood to ship……….

Dominic Eller

Nothing to actually tell yet!, I’m only 60 ish landings in, but this is a totally different game with many many new skills and mind sets to ingrain and plenty of new ways to cock up big time. Very exciting, I feel like I’ve just flown solo for the first time again! How gold is that to get again 😝

Chris.r.Ingram

A04F9A14-6B26-461B-8068-6F7A310DDD19.jpeg 5C0487F0-C5C3-4E08-A7F4-5BE7AF6DD464.jpeg

Spent a few hours today and got the other half of the bulkheads formed. Now I will make a simple jig on one of the tables for layout and can start drilling and cleco the bulkheads on. Am trying to get my brain in gear to make some new routing and forming templates for the aileron ribs but that will have to wait a few days.

Toobuilder

Working to wire up the second generator on the Rocket. This is a small, 30 amp unit driven off the vacuum pad. If the main alternator fails, this unit will pick up the engine bus once the voltage drops below 14.2 VDC. Pretty good insurance for a 3 pound penalty. Hard to see, but the generator and regulator are connected to the convoluted plastic tube.

Generator.jpg

gtae07

Finished fitting and trimming the windscreen. Painted the glareshield and remaining interior closeout panels.
Next up is gluing the windshield in place

Kyle Boatright

Bled brakes, bled brakes, bled brakes, repeated to infinity. To be continued.
Installed interior panels until I ran out of screws.
Mounted spendy avionics.
Realized I'd put a BNC where I needed a TNC.
Removed GTN to address TNC issue.
Then realized I don't have any TNC's on hand.
Ordered screws and TNC connectors.
Fixed mis-fitting fuel valve handle.
Figured out how to secure the "whippy" end of the ELT antenna.

Most important of all: Received and registered new AMEX card, since the last one got compromised late last week and I'm on the Hamster wheel of futility - ordering about $10 of parts twice a week from ACS.

N804RV

I bought a new toy (tool, I mean tool!...) and successfully got it installed and setup.

Got tired of having to either go find someone with sheetmetal tools, or trying to make do with hand tools. So, now I have a 450lb 30" 3-in-1 sheetmetal tool!

To celebrate, I took the Sonerai out to look for holes in the PNW sky. Fun way to burn a little non-ethanol Mogas!

52087930625_490cde350c_z.jpg

52086400047_95af2208b9_z.jpg

pylon500

I bought a new toy (tool, I mean tool!...) and successfully got it installed and setup.

Got tired of having to either go find someone with sheetmetal tools, or trying to make do with hand tools. So, now I have a 450lb 30" 3-in-1 sheetmetal tool!

To celebrate, I took the Sonerai out to look for holes in the PNW sky. Fun way to burn a little non-ethanol Mogas!

New toys are fun, but you really should have got a 4 footer (actually about 50"), much more versatile.
50inch3in1.png
rollin3in1.png
Meanwhile, got the first flap together enough to swing on the hinge arms;
centre_flap2.png
centre_flap3.png
And a top view;
centre_flap1.png

Pops

Helped my neighbor on restoring his 1930 Bird bi-plane by making up new rudder cables from the rudder to the rear cockpit rudder bar and then to the front cockpit rudder bar. Also finish putting on the pinking tape over the rib stitches of the top of the SSSC wing. Today will turn the wing over and finish the pinking tape over the bottom of the rib stitches and on to the rib stitching of the other wing.

52086400047_95af2208b9_z.jpg
Are you sure the floor is going to support the weight , 🐒

N804RV

Are you sure the floor is going to support the weight , 🐒

I think it works out to be right around 100PSI for each of the 4 feet. The pallet its bolted to is the bottom of the crate it came in. And, the old desk its on is one of those old government issue steel desks that you could park a tank on. I think it'll be fine.

Toobuilder

Monkworkz MZ-30 standby generator is now up and running, standing vigilant watch over my EFI buss. If my primary alternator checks out, the MZ-30 jumps online as soon as the voltage drops below 14.2. No pilot action required.

Also changed out my starter cable and upped it to #4 AWG from #6. The #6 has worked great for the last year or so but I had one episode last winter where it was a bit slow to crank after sitting outside for a few nights in Vegas. I think the bigger cable will fix that.

Pretty exciting stuff, right?

Toobuilder

There are a variety of outputs this unit has to drive all sorts of EFIS and other traditional indicators, but I'm just going to use a discrete 5 VDC to illuminate a LED on the panel. My EFIS will also yell at me if the primary voltage drops off, and of course there is a light for the primary alternator if it stops alternating.

I also finally got around to cutting some .016 stainless to size and running them through slip rolls to make new exhaust augmentor tubes. The old ones work "too" well and I cant seem to get the CHT up to where I want it. These are a bit smaller, so should pull temps up and increase exit velocity.