What did you do on your airplane project today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

delta

Hooked up nylo-seal brake lines using a clever scam. Put the 37 degree flare in the nylon tube, attached with normal ferrule and B nut. We'll see if it works. If it does, it will have saved me a bunch of adapters, unions, and other assorted monkey motion. We'll see..... 😬
You sir are a very brave soul... Getting the right squeeze may be ticket...

challenger_II

Mounted Pop's recommendation for temporary exhausts on the Longster, drained oil and checked strainer. Cleaned gascolator, and flow-checked fuel system. Flanged-up the cowl, and I be ready for action! And, NOW, we have thunderstorms building over, and around, the Airplane Patch! I wish the Weather Guessers would take their "computer weather models and stick them where they'd do the most good!

Attachments

TJTX

I've started my project, a Fisher Horizon 2. Got the rib jig built and started making ribs. Right now I'm laying out the wing spar jig. If theres anyone in the North Dallas area that ever wants to visit or help with an all wood airplane let me know. I'm happy to get all the help I can!

Attachments

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The simple act of building a new RH elevator to get my Rocket quickly flying again was derailed by the fact that the HS had some subtle, but serious damage as well.

So I bought a whole new tail, nearly complete, for not much more than the cost of the new elevator kit from Vans.

New Tail.jpg

Good thing too. As it turns out the original tail had some installation errors and some pretty sloppy bolt fits.

Expect to have the mechanical done and flight ready by Sunday night - leaving only the fiberglass fairings to go.

AncientAviation

Finished up another rib and interestingly I weighed it before assembly and afterwards.

125mm depth at the spar face.
52cm long
41.4g of spruce and ply
Fully assembled it weighted 65g with all staples removed
Glue seems to weigh a fair amount - about 24g or close to 35% of total weight

Maybe that’s normal but just found it interesting

Attachments

Last edited:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I got the tail done enough to get the Rocket flying. Quick hop last night followed by a quick uncowling and inspection of the new oil cooler, and then 1.5 this morning. Oil cooler works great and the CHT's have not moved with the "stealing" of more air by the bigger cooler. Very hot today and even a quick turn refuel saw the oil and CHT's very managable. A few cylinders broke 400 in a hard climb and the oil went to 215, but both came back in line once pushed over in cruise.

No difference in flying with the new tail (good, and expected), with the pleasant surprise that the new rudder with no trim tab flies the ball almost perfectly centered in cruise. This is in contrast to the old rudder - which had an electric servo tab when purchased, and then removed in favor of a scab patch/tab - which still required some tweaking. I also shaved the nav light provision from the new rudder - so this guy is a simple, light, no-nonsense rudder. Also added some titanium sheet to either side of the elevator trim tab to add bearing area for the pin. The old tab had quite a bit of slop in the linkage and I always worried about flutter (remember Galoping Ghost at Reno a few years ago?). This new tab has twice the bearing area and the pin bore is reamed to zero slop.

Today I get to spend most of the afternoon sanding the filler on the tip fairings into contour. Pretty sure the shop will see 100+ today - perfect for sanding fiberglass! At least I have a fan.

gtae07

Last week I finished trimming the aft canopy section, received a big box from Dynon, added an avionics ground power line, and realized I needed to relocate my com radio from where it was originally going to be.

This week will be prepping the canopy for gluing to the frame and maybe a bit of wiring.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
Did some of the backfilling and smoothing of the dirt around the hangar yesterday. May do more of that today if the weather allows. Concrete pads outside the entry doors are supposed to go in tomorrow.

gtae07

Realized wiring can be done in short work sessions but a lot of the canopy work can't, so got back to wiring primary power and avionics. I like wiring 😁

I'll save the canopy for days when I can work longer sessions.

Also, decided on and ordered interior lights and IFR GPS.

I'm seeing the light at the end of the tunnel now--all I need is good solid working time and I can get this done. Realistically, 1.5 to 2 years left...

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Have horizontal stab drilled onto fuselage. Searching for missing mounting plate for vertical stab. Also, did a little polishing on the SkyDesigns gear legs.

Reactions: BJC

gtae07

Which one?
The decision was really the lights; decided to just use some white LED strips instead of selectable red/white.

The GPS was decided a while back; went with a GPS-175. Shallow depth, light weight, takes up less space on the panel, most affordable option. Got the tray installed and the connector/harness built up last week and will continue with other wiring as I get chances to do so.

I do want the canopy done but as mentioned, I need longer work sessions and I can't get that unless my son is in school on a Monday...