What did you do on your airplane project today?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Dennis DeFrange

HBA Supporter
Not for a specific project, but I bought a one of the spruce odds and ends from ACS to see what they send. Shipping is murder.
I bought one of those and was impressed . Well worth the $37.00 . I've made several parts so far with a bunch left . I'v ordered another just to have around (not in yet) and yup shipping is way outta the park , especially that size package .

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I changed the oil and replaced the oil cooler hoses. At the last annual condition inspection my A&P said, "those hoses are kinda hard, they're probably OK but you ought to think about replacing them," so I did.

But if I knew what a royal PITA it would be to install the reusable fittings into Stratoflex 111 hose, I would have bought premade hose assemblies. It wouldn't have cost much more, but I didn't have good measurements until I took the old ones off.

Last edited:

Doran Jaffas

If you're talking about mine. I haven't owned one for 30 years now. I am going to take a look at one that was crashed and the rebuild almost finished. It has been in storage for a number of years. Keep me posted on your test flight of your Sonerai. They are fantastic airplanes.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
If you're talking about mine. I haven't owned one for 30 years now. I am going to take a look at one that was crashed and the rebuild almost finished. It has been in storage for a number of years. Keep me posted on your test flight of your Sonerai. They are fantastic airplanes.
Yeah, I read your profile and thought you had a Sonerai II now. I bought mine in 2017 and have put over 300 hours on it. But, this last condition inspection, I found cracks in the tailwheel fork. I decided to try an "off-the-shelf" solution with an API 4" tailwheel and tail spring. Trying to modify a stainless tailwheel spring tapered rod to fit the Sonerai has proven to be a bit of a challenge.

On a good note, I've got all the pieces of the cockpit decking and seat backs for the RV-8 to fit together properly. Getting prepped now for primer and paint before final assembly.

Doran Jaffas

Now I'm curious. Send me a picture I might be interested as a stable mate for my Tailwind. Also depending on where you're from. If you're the other side of the Rockies not so much but this side and I'm interested. I'm in Michigan. Central lower.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
Got my new tailwheel assembly installed on the Sonerai. Test flight will hopefully be tomorrow, once the engine is leak-checked and buttoned up. My machinist friend did a great job of drilling the necessary holes in precisely the right spot, through the stainless steel tail spring rod.

N804RV

HBA Supporter
That stinger seems awfully short... I'm guessing it's going to be really stiff!
I made it the same overall length as the original design that I removed. To do that I cut 8" off the fat end of the tail spring. Then, I still had to turn it down on a lathe by .070" in order to stuff it in the fuselage tube.

I flew it today. Takeoffs and landings didn't feel any different.

Ground handling was smoother. It castered once, when I stop in a turn in the runup area. At first I couldn't get the tiller to detent. But, continuing the turn to gain a little momentum, I was able to get it detented. And, didn't have any further problems with it.

Rhino

Lifetime Supporter
What did you do on your airplane project today?
Truth be told, until my hangar is finished, the only thing I can do each day on my project is to visit this forum. All of you provide wonderful motivation to keep my focus on working on my plane, even when I can't physically perform that work. Motivation and focus are critical factors, and I want to thank all of you for giving me that every day.