What did you do on your airplane project today?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
The concept of augmented cooling was proven in the first try but the fiberglass duct was not going to make it more than a few more hours. That, and the heat transferred to the lower floor was unacceptable. This version aims to retain the very good cooling performance in a lighter, more durable package that pulls the floor temps down.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Managed to put my hands on 3 of my airplanes this weekend:

Changed the oil and flew the Rocket;
Replaced the induction tubes and rocker covers on the RV-8;
Gutted the battery tray and added a battery shutoff switch, voltmeter and air compressor circuit breaker to the nose servicing bay on the L39.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I have done a functional test of the re purposed servicing panel on my L39. This door in the nose normally houses servicing ports for the high pressure O2 (for breathing) and the N2 (for canopy seal and hyd reservoir head pressure). Since I don't have high pressure O2 and I gutted the nitrogen bottles in favor of an on board compressor, this service bay was otherwise unused. So I added a keyed battery disconnect, a voltmeter, and the CB for the air compressor. Interestingly enough, I was able to make all the new stuff fit without drilling any new holes. I only had to enlarge the hole for the voltmeter just a touch.

Service door.jpg

Next project is to add a low pressure air gauge to the window above to replace the 250 BAR soviet unit. Since the seals and hyd reservoir are regulated down to just a few PSI, the little 150 PSI compressor will keep up just fine. And no longer a need to hydrostatic test the remaining bottles either!

Air Press.jpg

Last edited:

Daleandee

FWIW ... I removed the Naugahyde type covering I had on my glare shield and replaced it with a light weight flat black carpet. It was more work that first imagined but was easy enough to do. Haven't flown it yet but it looks much better and there should be less glare reflected in the windscreen.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
Before flying today I measured for new oil cooler hoses... and got thoroughly confused. I had assumed they were Aeroflex 303 hoses, but the fittings, or at least the sleeves, appear to be Stratoflex... some say they're not compatible but others say they are?

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
I started working down the 4th test club blank for my Kohler V-twin FWF development project. Eiffel test clubs to establish the hp curve.

proppastie

Log Member
some say they're not compatible but others say they are
I think the fittings they mate to are AN fittings.....as to if they are longer etc and will fit is another matter.....
another issue to consider in a homebuilt....are the existing hoses and fittings SAE .I am not sure they are the same as AN fittings.

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think the fittings they mate to are AN fittings.....as to if they are longer etc and will fit is another matter.....
another issue to consider in a homebuilt....are the existing hoses and fittings SAE .I am not sure they are the same as AN fittings.
The existing hoses appear to be Aeroquip, but the end fitting sleeve is MS24590, but it's also marked 1120-6 which is a Stratoflex part number. It seems both manufacturer's fittings and hoses comply with the appropriate mil-specs, but they still say not to mix and match???

Since the fittings (or at least the sleeves) appear to be Stratoflex, I'll probably buy the Stratoflex 111 hose even if it is a little more expensive than the Aeroquip 303. But it probably doesn't matter either way.

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
It "looks" like they are compatable from an engineering standpoint, but the primary objection is regulatory - which doesnt apply to you. I've assembled plenty of hose before, but cant recall doing exactly what you are describing. If you want to jump on VAF and pose this question to Tom at TS flightlines, you will have a definitive, iron clad answer in minutes (as well as a bunch of uninformed opinions from the rest of the horde).

proppastie

Log Member
I had a problem on the Mooney the old fitting fit over the mount and vent hose the new hose did not....I had to change the fitting for the vent hose and still had problems when the vent hose was partially crimped which pressurized the crankcase and I blew a front shaft seal. I should have returned it but I did not realize all the issues at the time of install. Lots of fiddling and I was able to solve the vent hose problem.....but I also learned that you do not install a split crank seal without a plate on the front of the crank case.......still have an oily engine in places from that learning experience.

Tiger Tim

Not ‘today’ but last week I made up the lion’s share of a new ignition harness. Some well meaning individual had made the previous one about four inches too short so it wouldn’t reach all the way to the mag.

gtae07

Over the last weekend I was relocating a couple of behind-the-panel modules and the power distribution panels, and set up a plan for a panel disconnect bracket. I realized that fixing the panel in place and hardwiring was perhaps not the most maintenance-friendly design.

Now, I should be able to pull the panel in a few minutes, after dropping the throttle subpanel, taking out the EFIS screens, and disconnecting a few harnesses via the openings for said screens.

The connectors arrived Wednesday and I’ll get to work on putting them into place next time I’m in the shop. But son is on spring break this week, and as such building time may be very limited.

On an unrelated note, I'm scheduled for glider training in three weeks...

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Flew the Rocket for a bit this morning then turned to the jet.

Battery tray is in, some of the tricky harness routing is clamped up, most of the air system plumbing is done, and the air compressor is ready to be drilled in and plumbed/wired.

jet pump.jpg

Batteries are secured, the "flight" connection to the master switch is in, and my low pressure air gauge now lives behind the sight window.

Jet battery.jpg

Tomorrow I hope to be able to fire the pump up and do a leak/ops check. Next stop: ENGINE RUNS and TAXI TESTING!

Doran Jaffas

Test flew my new Sterba Propeller on my Tailwind W8 this morning. Very smooth but needs a few days inches less pitch. The performance is still good but full throttle at 2,500 MSL is in the 2,500 rpm range.

A beautiful prop though

Daleandee

I finished installing my interior after recovering the glare shield and I had to take it for a flight to make sure I had everything installed correctly: ;)

1617569136319.png

Last edited:

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I went to the airport to go flying, but it was too windy. Drove home. :(

TerryM76

HBA Supporter
Put 1.5 hours on the C172 Hobbs yesterday and bought it 21 gallons of gas. My instructor and I were both tired after that session. Getting recurrent is kinda tough after an 18 year absence from flying.

Reactions: BJC

Toobuilder

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Got the seal compressor hooked up and did an ops check on the jet. Pressure switch shuts off at 155 PSI and kicks back on at about 120. Pressure has been holding at 150 PSI for several hours now, so I guess the system is pretty tight.