what crank is this i have no clue, got it with some VW stuff i picked up

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Robert Dingus

need help identifying this crank, it does not fit the normal VW beetle block its too long. it looks like its new, no journal damage.
if i know what i it is, i can Mic it, and offer it for sale.

Robert

IMG_0679.JPGIMG_0680.JPGIMG_0681.JPG

TFF

The counterbalances makes me want to say industrial engine. It does not match anything I think I have messed with. You might have to take it to a machine shop for their opinion. I use to go into one that would stop you and try to guess. Stumped him twice with an Alfa crank and a Volvo crank.

Himat

Five main bearings should be a clue.
Flat plane cranks for V4 engines are few, that leave a flat four boxer. VW, Subaru, Alfa and Porsche are those I know have made larger numbers of such engines.

TFF

It's not any of those unless someone ground down the counterweights. It does not have the compact shape of a boxer. It has to be inline.

Pops

Log Member
Not a VW Type 1 or Type 4 for sure. Like Himat says , five main bearing should be a clue.

cheapracer

Log Member
Could be one of hundreds of 4 cylinder engines.

It is large stroke, no overlap of the pins, large mains, hefty flywheel flange, low rpm counterweights, I'm shooting for a diesel.

Measure the stroke, will get you 90% resolving what it is. Center-line to outside of BE journal, less half diameter of the BE journal.

Robert Dingus

ok, will measure it tonight, I asked the guy I got it from he said he has had it about 20 to 30 years, in the greased wax paper wrap I took it out of.
he had no clue.

Robert