What could be done to reinvent the Affordaplane to a more homogeneous project?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
What do you do of you don't have access for AN Bolts reasonably priced?!
I'm speaking from a US perspective.
I think the answers (for Europe and elsewhere) are inherent in the homebuilts that one sees at the RSA and LAA rallies. More wood, for instance. Perhaps more rivets? Gesipa for example seems to have production in Belgium and Greece, but in my view pulled rivets are not a good solution for the relatively heavy sections the Affordaplane uses. Gusseted thin wall aluminum tube will drive up your parts count, but may better suit your supply situation.
I'm curious what all the Russian and Ukainian trikes use for hardware...the nice thing about AN hardware is it's mix of strength and toughness and overall quality (lack of forging defects, good dimensional accuracy). Other common fasteners available in the US (most of which comes from the Far East) lack this "value", you either get soft crap that is resistant at least to fatigue and shock, or brittle as glass crap of high strength. That's why you often hear in US homebuilding "Only use AN hardware". Perhaps ISO or BS or DIN metric fasteners of suitable strength and toughness ARE available and affordable? And thus an AN4 becomes a grade 10.9 or 12.9 M6x 1?

One dodge sometimes used in automobile racing when AN hardware is not available is to use socket head cap screws. They TEND to be of higher quality and mechanical properties that run of the mill Hex Head fasteners.

karmarepair

HBA Supporter
for a 4 stroke engine, I’d like to keep it as simple and light as only possible, should not go over 700cc
You're probably already aware of this Parazoom conversion of the Briggs and Stratton ParaZoom-Power V2 4-Takter B+S, 33 PS
You could also look at a direct drive from Spacek NEW engine SE-33 XP 35hp – SPACEK s.r.o. | SD Planes I think this will be at least 5000 Euros, but I don't have current pricing. You might save a little weight and cost by ditching the electric start.

Armilite

That's the approach I've been working on lately, since hangar space is so limited. What do you find to be the best place to find the distressed properties? Is there a listing for Sherriff's sales and such? Not sure about my ability to fly out of a turf field, but a workshop/hangar would be nice.
========================

I like to use Boone County, IA Real Estate & Homes for Sale | realtor.com® and search by County, you can set your Max Price or Land Size.

Your Local County Sheriff's office should have a Notice of upcoming Sales.

There are also Services for Foreclosed Properties that have a Small Fee, like $30 and you get a List of all Foreclosures in a 30-mile Radius of where you live.

Most Counties also have a GIS Mapping System where you can zoom in on a Property to see who owns it, how big it is, Tax Info, etc. where with your Smartphone or Tablets GPS you can click on the Icon and it will zoom in to where you're are.

I like to just drive around also. With the GIS mapping, you can Screen Shot the Property Info and research it later.

Attachments

erkki67

the original Affordaplane landing gear, has, in my eyes, an ugly molehill killer bar with almost no shock absorbtion available.

for the new interpretation, we added a suspension that goes up to the upper firewall junction gussets.

do you have any other ideas for a landing gear with some kind of shock absorbing built into the frame?

WonderousMountain

You could use the Srl Guppy - 21 tail group,
It's coming along fine, having gone with 14
19 CruiseMaster layout, but it's largely wood
construction. The AffA Plane ought to have
similar flight envelope.

challenger_II

Here is a couple examples from the past:

Curtiss Robin 3.jpg

the original Affordaplane landing gear, has, in my eyes, an ugly molehill killer bar with almost no shock absorbtion available.

for the new interpretation, we added a suspension that goes up to the upper firewall junction gussets.

do you have any other ideas for a landing gear with some kind of shock absorbing built into the frame?
F-24b.jpgFieseler Storch a.jpg

Armilite

View attachment 114312
i really would like to proceed with the Frame Fritz came up with, but with a different landing gear attachement.
======================================

Does your CAD program give the Weight of this Airframe in 6061 in the photo? Does it give you the option to change the Square Tube to other Wall thickness .125" or .062"? How many Guessets, Bolts & Nuts could be eliminated of the Tubing was Bent with a Tube Bender?

erkki67

======================================

Does your CAD program give the Weight of this Airframe in 6061 in the photo? Does it give you the option to change the Square Tube to other Wall thickness .125" or .062"? How many Guessets, Bolts & Nuts could be eliminated of the Tubing was Bent with a Tube Bender?
The weight should be about the same, as the tubing to be used is 6060 T6 in quality and the dimensions are 50 x 50 x 2mm.

The whole fuselage is leaned on the Affordaplane and the construction of Daniel Dalby the designer of the Cubchel and the Cubchel was highly inspired by the Affordaplane too.

The main reason to change to the 6060 T6 alloy is the availability of that Alloy here in Europe.