What could be done to reinvent the Affordaplane to a more homogeneous project?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Martin R.

........This Design looks Weak with only one Spar. .......
Don't worry about Daniel Dalbys designs. He and his team ...
... are experienced, well formed and successful with one spar wings.

At least the Cubchel
the Scoutchel
and the Demoichel

are equipped with those one-spar wings, their suspension and their roll control mechanism.

Armilite

Sometimes you might have to think outside of the box for a Hanger and an Airfield! This Home Acreage with a Morton Building sold for $1,445 on a Sherriff Auction. Then Resold weeks later for $38,500. That's enough Profit to Buy a Plane and put in a Hanger for many Years. But the next guy put about $50,000 into it and then Resold it for $235,000. So you would have Options, tear the house down and have a Hanger and Airfield, or fix House up and move in, and still have a Hanger & Airfield. There are many distress Properties out there. Most of these Ultralights and Small Kitplanes only need a 60ft x 600ft = 36,000 sq ft = 8th of an Acre Airfield. You have portable Car Port Hangers.

Attachments

Armilite

Thats great for your area i guess -- Here in Toronto Canada area we can pay 150 a month just to trailer to a runway and use it.
Jokingly, why is it that is it always the "serious flyers" that money never seems to be an issue. I would think they need to be rebranded as:
lucky flyers
I got a really good high paying job flyers
I buy a new truck every 2 yrs flyers
I inherited money flyers😁.

For some of us, that 125/mth 1500/yr, might need to put towards many other things in life and still fly. Is that not why we are also here on this site, money is tight but we still want to participate in the dream of flying.

Cheers to all
====================================

Making Money isn't that hard if you Think about it! You can learn any Skill! A lot depends on if your willing to do the Work.

1. Buy, Fix, Flip Realistate is the best way to make Money.
2. Buy, Fix, Flip Cars, Trucks, Tractors, Boats, etc!
3. Pickup Junk Cars, Trucks, etc.
4. Roofing.
5. Tree Trimming & Cutting.
6. Body Work & Paint.
7. Build Rotax or Honda/Clone Engines for People.
8. Makes Parts in your own Garage/Shop.
9. Stump Grinding. I know a guy who goes around the different neighborhoods lining up stumps to grind, then goes Rents one and does a bunch on a weekend.

Example 1.
Buddy retired started Scrapping, on (1) Place, he hauled out 3-4 car trailer loads with his Pickup
in one day right to the Scrap Dealer, made $1,850 for about 6hrs of Work.

Example 2. I traded a Pistol I had $250 in it. I traded it for a 1956 Ford F100 that needed restoration. Brought it home, Washed, Vacuum, Degreased Engine, put on two new Battery cables, charged the battery, and dumped 5 Gallons in it and it started. Took Good Photo's and sold it, about two weeks later for $2,500. I probably could have got more like $3,500, but I had a 1955 Chevy 4dr I bought for $500 I wanted to bring home and the wife wasn't going to park her car in the street so I had to move it.

Example 3. Older 2400sq ft House with a newer detached garage sitting on 2.6 acres! They were asking $15,000. I told my daughter & her boyfriend to offer $10,000 and then put $40,000 into it and they would have a nice place, only 7 minutes from where they both worked. They passed, bought a $150,000 1400sq ft place a 30-minute drive they both have to do. 2 Weeks later a guy bought it for $10,000, tore the House down, split the Property into (2) 1.3 acre Lots, and listed them for $40,000 each. The first one with the Garage sold for $38,500 in 3 weeks, 2nd one sold for $35,500 in 6 months. About a $62,000 Profit!

Everybody has Choices in Life! You can Piss & Moan about Hanger rent while using a $600 Cell Phone, CABLE TV, going out to Eat, going to a Show, other Events, etc. You can choose to use these Over-Priced $4,500+ Engines or build your own for 1/4th the Cost. You can live in town and Pay Hanger Rent or buy a place in the Country and have your own Hanger and Airfield! That $125/month 1500/yr, can Buy a Distressed Property to just have your own Hanger an Airstrip.

I was up at a guys Scrap Yard in town the other day and I saw a piece of 2.0" x .25 wall like New Aluimum Tube about 3ft long. So I asked him what you want for that. Oh just take it. He said he had a bunch of it come in and they had just hauled it out to Kansas City the other day. I get Home. Metals Depot a 3ft piece of 2.0" OD x .25 Wall 6061 $83.96 about 4.86 lbs. About $2.24 Scrap price. How much could I have made Selling that truckload on eBay/Amazon? Like they say one man's Junk is another man's Treasure!
Aluminum National Average$0.46/lb

This place Sold for $1,445 USD on a Sherriff Auction. Resold weeks later for $38,500! Then Fixed up and Resold for $235,000+.

Attachments

cloudopr

The Legal Eagle now has a wing fold option. It’s a pull and twist so the wings lay flat against the fuselage. I watched the videos. Nice design. I asked quite a few people about parasol folders and they all said no or couldn’t be done. The AF could probably adapt that design.
I'm going to check on that folding wing for my Affordaplane. I thank it will work ok. It may take a little while to get it working just right, but it can be dun I'm sure.

galapoola

========================================

While I prefer a Pusher myself. This Design looks Weak with only one Spar. People having access to 750+ different Designs for the last 40+ Years have gotten by without a Foldable Wing. Hanger Rent isn't that expensive $75 to $125 and most people that are serious about Flying, have either an Ultralight or Small Kitplane that doesn't need that Long of Runway, so they fly out of their own Acreage and have a Hanger there. I would bet the people who Trailer their Plane with a Foldable Wing, Fly less, account it usually takes two People to Fold and Put back up. Per Kitplane magazine the National Avg for an Ultralight Pilot is 50hrs a Year. That Design above also doesn't offer any Safety for the Pilot. No Place to mount a Windshield. Winter Flying is out! I do like the better Landing Gear! Just my 2 cents!
T-hanger at Lakewood, NJ N12, $425/month. This is not a metropolitan location either, we’re 80 miles from NYC maybe 60 from Philly. Folding wing makes sense so you can squeeze in and sub rent space.

Armilite

T-hanger at Lakewood, NJ N12, $425/month. This is not a metropolitan location either, we’re 80 miles from NYC maybe 60 from Philly. Folding wing makes sense so you can squeeze in and sub rent space.
===================================

Sometimes you need to Think outside of the Box! A 60ft x 600ft Grass Strip is .6th of an Acre. Farmers Rent Space in some of their Buildings and have Open Grass Fields for an Airfield if you talk nice. I rented a large Space from a Farmer for Years for my Plane, Boat, a couple of Cars for $200 a month. Just a 10 Minute Search using Homes for Sale, Mortgage Rates, Virtual Tours & Rentals | realtor.com® around your Lakewood, NJ for 20k or less. Not all of these will work, but there is property. Sometimes, it's best to just get out and just drive around your Area, look for Abandoned Farmsteads, Homes, Businesses that have Land Big enough for your needs. Some may even have a Morton Building. Check Sherriff Auctions. Get on one of them Foreclosure List that gives you everything in a 30-mile radius. Check to see if your County and the other County's close to you to see if they have a GIS Property Map. Like many of our County's use the same Software. You can use your Smart Phones GPS and CLICK and Zoom into where your at to see what the Lot Size is. Beacon - Story County, IA / City of Ames - Map

Here is one of the pieces of Ground I'm looking at East of Town to Build a House, Shop, Pond, Airfield on.

$2,500 Est. Payment $13/mo
  • 1.03acre lot
1378 Galveston,Mizpah, NJ, 08330
==========================================

$7,500 Est. Payment $38/mo
  • 1.1acre lot
Landis Ave,Elmer, NJ, 08318
=========================================

$10,000 Est. Payment $50/mo
  • 5.33acre lot
405 Columbia Rd,Mullica, NJ, 08215
========================================

$10,000 Est. Payment $130/mo
  • 1.06acre lot
McKinley Ave,Glassboro, NJ, 08028
===================

$10,900 Est. Payment $173/mo
  • 4.83acre lot
Route 50,Mays Landing, NJ, 08330
==================

$11,000 Est. Payment $109/mo
  • 1.26acre lot
Old Erial Rd, Sicklerville, NJ, 08081
=================

$5,000 Est. Payment $54/mo
  • 1acre lot
1555 North Ave, Port Norris, NJ, 08349
=================

$7,500 Est. Payment $38/mo
  • 1.1acre lot
Landis Ave, Elmer, NJ, 08318
==============================

$14,500 Est. Payment $131/mo
  • 9.62acre lot
South Ave,Mays Landing, NJ, 08330

LAND EAST of TOWN.jpg

galapoola

We can’t land a plane on private land in New Jersey per statute. You can’t even land a float plane in any of the New Jersey waterways unless it’s a New Jersey sanctioned water airport, currently there are none. I do not live in free America here. I’m also not going to drive an hour or two hours to a piece of acreage. The idea is to be able to drive for 10 minutes to the airport and then go flying.

patrickrio

We can’t land a plane on private land in New Jersey per statute. You can’t even land a float plane in any of the New Jersey waterways unless it’s a New Jersey sanctioned water airport, currently there are none. I do not live in free America here. I’m also not going to drive an hour or two hours to a piece of acreage. The idea is to be able to drive for 10 minutes to the airport and then go flying.
I am pretty sure that the NJ "landing at legal airports" only rules do not apply to ultralights though, since they are not legally aircraft. I think Tucker Gott the Paraglider guy flys from a baseball diamond near his parent's house in Jersey most of the time when he is not touring the US in his van.

galapoola

I am pretty sure that the NJ "landing at legal airports" only rules do not apply to ultralights though, since they are not legally aircraft. I think Tucker Gott the Paraglider guy flys from a baseball diamond near his parent's house in Jersey most of the time when he is not touring the US in his van.
I saw a para glider land in a ball field next to one of our middle schools, cops were on him immediately. It may depend on the township's knowledge of State law and whether they care or not. We had an adhoc ultralight strip next to a mostly abandoned RR track. It was not on the sectional map. The locals don't complain and the PD has better things to do. That's in a more rural area near me.

Armilite

=========================

PART 103 Ultralights are not Classified as an Airplane, that's WHY you don't need a Pilots license, it's treated as a Motor Vehicle same as an ATV, Off-Road Kart, Snowmobile, etc!.

Probably Why the police were called.

103.15 Operations over congested areas.
No person may operate an ultralight vehicle over any congested area of a city, town, or settlement, or over any open-air assembly of persons.

Part 103 Rules:

erkki67

For de European builders, have a closer look at the Dalby construction methods of the fuselage, especially the dimensions and tubing quality used.

If its good enough for a Cubchel, it's certainly going to be rigid enough for a Affordaplane.

Toomb68

I saw a para glider land in a ball field next to one of our middle schools, cops were on him immediately. It may depend on the township's knowledge of State law and whether they care or not. We had an adhoc ultralight strip next to a mostly abandoned RR track. It was not on the sectional map. The locals don't complain and the PD has better things to do. That's in a more rural area near me.
How does Tucker Gott get away with it? He flies in NJ....

TFF

If you have permission from the land owner and no complaints from neighbors is the stance from the FAA. Local laws, you are on your own.

If you do get a call and are ok legally, you have to be an ambassador to diffuse the situation. I know someone who landed his helicopter legally and the cops showed up. He was just short of calling them stupid. Recourse was police chief contacts mayor, mayor contacted land owner and threatened to pull business licenses for public endangerment if he allowed one more landing.

I have landed in a helicopter a bunch at restaurants. If you are going to do such a thing, it’s got to be safe, and you have to deal with questions. You just decided to be a rock star. You can be generous or an ass, and you will be treated as such.

pilotarix

This will be interesting to follow.

Project to build an A-Plane 100% 103 legal.

I am following this channel due to my interest in Kit planes. I have some GA experience about 300 hours fixed wing and some rotorcraft more recently. Was looking into gyros and the like. However, my goal is flying around the compound when the weather is good, low and slow that’s all I want.
Generally I am somewhat skeptical towards ultralight but was interested due to the easy construction method and the relatively low price. Also, I thought that the guy is somebody with a good amount of experience in the field taking on this build and recommend it to his followers, so it cannot be too bad.
Anyhow, I got the plans and found a lot of information on the internet. My initial enthusiasm certainly got a damper. I am not in favour with all what I have seen or read. There seem to be many oportunities for improvement and maybe weight saving. One I suggested to the developer, using rivets instead of bolts e.g. CherryLock rivets or the like, was heavily rejected. Despite he had mentioned in an earlier video that rivets could be used as an option.
(2:28)

Thanks
Christoph

ElectricFlyer

HBA Supporter
rivets or the like, was heavily rejected. Despite he had mentioned in an earlier video that rivets could be used as an option.
Thanks
Christoph
The craft design is not my cup of tea. However, opposition to using rivets does not make sense to me -- good high shear rivets in the right application is not a problem. The issue is knowing where they can be used.
Cheers

TFF

Correct rivets are probably more expensive than the bolts by a factor of 100, and require tools that are way more expensive than a wrench. I am assuming direct one for one substitute.

A regular Cherry is $2 a rivet or more. A really special one might be$15 for one. You can get a lot of AN3 bolts for $15. You can get a lot lot more grade 5 bolts. Drilling the holes are going to be about the same effort, done correctly.

Redesigned will take a lot of effort unless it’s a shotgun approach. Start taking the cheap out and it’s not cheap.