What could be done to reinvent the Affordaplane to a more homogeneous project?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

kennyrayandersen

this is a layout of a more homogenous frame, in my eyes.
I'm still looking for a landing gear arrangement, but the strongpoint at the upper corner of the firewall to attach de suspension pleases me.
This is just a mock-up, its not the airframe which is going to fly.
View attachment 104411
So I assume what you mean is you aren't going to attach the landing gear where you got them now right?

Otherwise you taken a half-bad design and made it 100% bad. The beef i have with the original is that there is no good load path for the landing gear into the fuselage - especially if an instruction is hit the at landing gear member drives a vending load into the lower frame member. That picture provides no good load path. If you care about that sort of thing. I would recommend a triangle. One should be at the front firewall and the aft should be at the vertical member just aft of the pilot.

erkki67

So I assume what you mean is you aren't going to attach the landing gear where you got them now right?

Otherwise you taken a half-bad design and made it 100% bad. The beef i have with the original is that there is no good load path for the landing gear into the fuselage - especially if an instruction is hit the at landing gear member drives a vending load into the lower frame member. That picture provides no good load path. If you care about that sort of thing. I would recommend a triangle. One should be at the front firewall and the aft should be at the vertical member just aft of the pilot.
0CB45C4A-874E-4393-B519-221B747760C9.jpeg
more like this one?!

blane.c

HBA Supporter
Whenever I look at something like this I can't help but think the first rudder input of significance will wrap the fuselage about the yaw axis.
yaw pitch roll.png

Aerowerx

Whenever I look at something like this I can't help but think the first rudder input of significance will wrap the fuselage about the yaw axis.
Did you consider....

Although it is hard to see in all pictures, there are cables running from the rear fuselage to the wings. These oppose the fuselage bending forces.

Speedboat100

Banned
No, I gave just the inputs. The initial frame came from FritzW and the fine tuning came from a friend of mine, I think he is occasionally reading here too, DanielV

What is the glide ratio and total drag in sqfts ( flat plate ) ?

Last edited: