Quantcast

What could be done to reinvent the Affordaplane to a more homogeneous project?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

erkki67

The sitting angle is 100deg, so with a foreseen 8deg Tilt back, ill get 118deg total.
but hey, this was just made to have something to sit on and test for my own needs, most probably a few things are going to change a bit, but it’s a good base to start with.

Hephaestus

There's the thread looks like someone's doing an electric version at the moment.

Airfoil has issues that sound worse than the GU Rutan used.

FritzW

Log Member
I gave the program for our chapter meeting today (we've opened back up and we're re-starting our monthly pancake breakfast tomorrow). The program was on "the good, the bad and the ugly" of the Afford-A-Plane.

I didn't get rotten tomatoes thrown at me like I thought I would. Everyone was pretty open minded and we had some pretty productive ideas tossed around.

wicki1984

Hi everyone! I joined this group because I have plans for both the A-plane and a couple different versions of the mini-max. My plan is to build the A-Plane first and I have read all 38 pages of this forum. Towards the beginning it was briefly brought up using round tubular aluminum. I was having this same thought as well. It wasnt really talked about after that...or I missed it because the forum digressed for a while and I started drinking whiskey, made it a lot more enjoyable, lol. Is there anything inherently wrong with swapping out rectangular tubing instead using round? It would save a lot on weight. My thoughts were to to meet in the middle; since the 103 plans call for 1x2 I was going to use 1.5" round. The plan is to do straight cuts and use the gussets. I am considering putting a birdsmouth in the tubes along with the gussets, but I am not sure this is needed. I have a drum sander so doing the birdsmouth wouldn't be that difficult. Of course if I did the birdsmouth then why not weld it...hmmmmm choices. If I go with the gussets I plan on using rivets instead of the bolts. I did see using rivets instead of bolts was the general consensus on this forum. Excited to get to work on this plane when I get back from my deployment!

Aerowerx

As others have often said on here on HBA, stick with the plans. Unless you want to go through a complete engineering analysis. Such a change you propose is significant, essentially making it a completely different design.

addicted2climbing

Log Member
The LAK-16 airfoil doesn’t like smashed bugs or Moskitos on its leading edge, according to some pilots, its generating a lot of lift up until its getting dirty.
I just saw a video of an Lak-16 first flight with an E-Motor. Looks promising.

Marc

mullacharjak

Hi everyone! I joined this group because I have plans for both the A-plane and a couple different versions of the mini-max. My plan is to build the A-Plane first and I have read all 38 pages of this forum. Towards the beginning it was briefly brought up using round tubular aluminum. I was having this same thought as well. It wasnt really talked about after that...or I missed it because the forum digressed for a while and I started drinking whiskey, made it a lot more enjoyable, lol. Is there anything inherently wrong with swapping out rectangular tubing instead using round? It would save a lot on weight. My thoughts were to to meet in the middle; since the 103 plans call for 1x2 I was going to use 1.5" round. The plan is to do straight cuts and use the gussets. I am considering putting a birdsmouth in the tubes along with the gussets, but I am not sure this is needed. I have a drum sander so doing the birdsmouth wouldn't be that difficult. Of course if I did the birdsmouth then why not weld it...hmmmmm choices. If I go with the gussets I plan on using rivets instead of the bolts. I did see using rivets instead of bolts was the general consensus on this forum. Excited to get to work on this plane when I get back from my deployment!
An older Ultralight the TEMEN monofly used round tubes everything including the fuselage.The fuselage tubes are 3 x 080. The wing spar I think is a single 5 inch OD pipe. It has a pusher engine and tricycle landing gear.If you want to use round tubes for some reason and avoid modifications then its a good choice.Its similiar to an Affordaplane.

Victor Bravo

The LAK-16 shown in the photos above has round tubes instead of square. They look bolted instead of riveted but that's irrelevant. I am guessing that the Lithuanian engineers (perfectly good, trained Comrade-Engineers) must have considered the relative advantage/disadvantage of square tube, performed the People's Proletariat Calculation of Mathematical Superiority, and found that the round tube was better or lighter or easier. Even for a basic quick-build high-drag, low-cost, child-safe, baseball bat of an airplane like this.

So although it certainly would require plenty of new engineering analysis, the "re-invented Affordaplane" per the OP might stand to benefit greatly by using round tubes. I'm guessing that the round tube version will save some weight....