What could be done to reinvent the Affordaplane to a more homogeneous project?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

erkki67

C54AC688-2D0D-4595-9232-0D8D29C380D3.jpeg5D72049D-B3AE-42A9-B6D4-77ADEE036A83.jpeg
for the mockup I’m not going any further, this shall be enough to determine the clearances required for a 6’6” 254lbs baby.
The seat is just sitting flat on the lower longeron, not very comfortable, so it might need to be tilted 10-15deg backwards.
Legroom might be an issue, the firewall might need to go forward 3-4 inches.

erkki67

The landing gear is schematic, where the beams touch the ground, it’s about the right height, but it’s a few inches too wide.
Further There is no suspension installed yet, but would go from the axles to the upper firewall corner!

galapoola

for the mockup I’m not going any further, this shall be enough to determine the clearances required for a 6’6” 254lbs baby.
The seat is just sitting flat on the lower longeron, not very comfortable, so it might need to be tilted 10-15deg backwards.
Legroom might be an issue, the firewall might need to go forward 3-4 inches.
If you fit with a helmet then me at 6'3" 240# should be just fine. I second the motion on more wing rather than less.

BJC

HBA Supporter
Every time I see a fuselage / landing gear arrangement like that, I recall Peter Sripol’s similar arrangement that rolled under with just a little side load.

BJC

FritzW

Log Member
...tilted 10-15deg backwards. ...Legroom might be an issue,
When you tilt the seat back it'll probably bend your knees a little and give you quite a bit more leg room. How far back is the seat? (seat back to rear vertical member)

erkki67

When you tilt the seat back it'll probably bend your knees a little and give you quite a bit more leg room. How far back is the seat? (seat back to rear vertical member)
1150mm and I’ll plan to Tilt the seat about 10deg backwards and liftig it about 1-1,5” above the lower longeron, for the flight controls, or I leave it on the lower longeron just tilted back 10deg and run the flight controls sideways of the lower longeron.

Last edited:

erkki67

Every time I see a fuselage / landing gear arrangement like that, I recall Peter Sripol’s similar arrangement that rolled under with just a little side load.

BJC
this is not the final version, it shows only the height and angle of the fuselage.

there will be a shockabsorber going to the upper corner of the firewall, and a drag or compression brace to the gusset behind the pilots butt.10DA4D3D-0373-458F-A80C-372100CDA27D.jpeg
the yellow strutt is more or less the one you’ve seen with me sitting in the craft, the blue will be the shockabsorber and the red one will be a drag strutt or compression strutt.

FritzW

Log Member
...yellow strutt is more or less the one you’ve seen with me sitting in the craft, the blue will be the shockabsorber and the red one will be a drag strutt or compression strutt.
I thought the blue strut was going to attach here:
Untitled.png

cluttonfred

HBA Supporter
I don't like that gear set up at all Erkki as it causes offset loads and would require universal joints at each end of the blue shock tube. This seems like a perfect application for a WWI-style pair of vees hinged to the bottom tube, fixed spreader bar, topped by an axle with bungee cord wrap for springing and BMX bicycle wheels. If the vees need bracing you could run a cable from each vertex up to the top of the fuselage frame. If you want brakes you could use a pair of half-axles hinged at the center of the spreader bar. Light and simple.

spreader bar gear.jpg

erkki67

I thought the blue strut was going to attach here:
View attachment 97499
Now with this layout, the seat bottom is at 19deg tilted backwards.
with the seat at 110deg gives a total of 129deg.
215EC685-7790-4486-8DB0-0AE5181A9EB2.jpeg
legroom is ok, even the possibility is given now to attach the suspension below the knees.

ill try with the first diagonal and see if I can install the recommended 8deg of the seat pan to the lower longero, and still being able to attach the suspension below the knees.

where the blue tube is leaning against, this would be the position of the the second layout for the suspension attachement.

FritzW

Log Member
The gusset behind the seat could be tweaked to be the seat mount and seat back support. It wouldn't be hard to make it lighter and stronger than standard AP gussets.

Last edited:

erkki67

First of all I made the seat, just to have something to sit on, on the other hand I Took of of the ergonomic schematics for a Cockpit seat from the net and adapted it to my hipps width.

erkki67

5B497D92-0E8F-46B9-8B97-402C2B72E5BE.jpeg
The upper position is my base, modified for my size of 6’6” and 254lbs.
so it’s 480mm wide, the seatpan is 360mm long, the backrest 550mm long. The Sidepanels are 150mm high, with a 100mm Radius at the ends. 100mm above the seat pan and backrest und equally 50mm below and behind those panels, to have surface to glue the panels on the structure beneath it.