What could be done to reinvent the Affordaplane to a more homogeneous project?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

mcrae0104

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Good observation. The less flat plate area on the aircraft the less effective the side slip will be. The slide slip when done correctly exposes the maximum mass of the airplane to the ground track creating a maximum rate of decent while minimizing airspeed. Not done correctly it can lead to a stall spin at low altitude.
This discussion may be helpful for those who want to understand the differences between a slip and a skid and why the skid can be dangerous but a slip generally is not.

kirbylee

HBA Supporter
I don't know where you got the idea that I have bashed this plane. I have been one of the supporters of the design, and did say that it was on my "short list" of planes that I would like to possibly build (read again my post you quoted). And no, it wasn' t me that was arguing about $19.95. Besides, I have 2 copies of the plans. One was free off the internet, the other I paid for and has a serial number.

I don't mean to continue an argument, but I think safety is a prime concern here in case a prospective builder reads this. My paid-for copy, on PDF page 49 says, in bold capital letters, DO NOT COVER THE FUSELAGE WITH FABRIC.

Edit: I do not see this statement in my free copy of the plans, dated from 2010. So if you are going to build an AffordaPlane, GO AHEAD AND PAY FOR THE LATEST VERSION! My paid-for version is dated 2018.
I bought mine this year , and you are right. it does say " DO NOT COVER THE FUSELAGE WITH FABRIC". It goes on to say, " this aircraft was not designed for the large side loads you would encounter in such maneuvers such as side slipping for landing".
Someone asked him about this in the Affordaplane group on FB. He replied by saying that he did not say it "couldn't" take the side load forces, just that it wasnt designed to. I never was one hundred percent sure what he meant by that. Maybe he didnt know what the side load forces were exactly, but if that were the case then it wasnt designed for those side load forces.
I had to read back over that last sentence myself. Oh well.

blane.c

HBA Supporter
I have flown several airplanes and exceeded the demonstrated crosswind component routinely. As it was explained to us in the pilot meetings the "demonstrated performance" is not a limitation. This is not the same as "I don't know" but similar. It begs experimentation. The aerodynamic edge between the survivors and the dead will tell those that follow how much they want to push that envelope.

Speedboat100

I have flown several airplanes and exceeded the demonstrated crosswind component routinely. As it was explained to us in the pilot meetings the "demonstrated performance" is not a limitation. This is not the same as "I don't know" but similar. It begs experimentation. The aerodynamic edge between the survivors and the dead will tell those that follow how much they want to push that envelope.
Can you clarify...pushing the envelope kills ?

Attachments

Speedboat100

What if the plane is foldable type..like carrier planes. Can be stored nicely...folded like the Pou du Ciel ?

Aerowerx

I sincerely hope so.
I was responding to this statement by errki67....
If you fold the airplane in the air, you exceeded the flight envelope, you crash and you kill yourself...
....where he was saying that the if you go outside the flight envelope you will exceed the structural limits, the plane will fold, and you will kill yourself.

FritzW

Log Member
Erkki,
Ref your last email: The straight back would have the same dimensions as the ptp AP except for raising the tail post to meet the upper tube. ...at least on my quick and dirty sketch.