What could be done to reinvent the Affordaplane to a more homogeneous project?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

FritzW

Log Member
There are a lot of structural advantages to a biplane...

I think the first thing you need to do with the AP is shave off half the weight and fix the gussets.

FritzW

Log Member
I think the RW9 (3D fuselage) shares more DNA with the Texas Parasol than the AP.

...maybe a 150% scale RW9?

erkki67

Fixing the gussets with hemlock rivets?

The use of rivets instead of bolts helps also to reduce weight, even in a double row installation.

The French AP counterpart uses 50 x 50mm and 2mm for the wall thickness and some tubes are 50 x 100 x 2mm, this shaves off about 30% in tubing weight compared to the original AP.

The gussets are 3mm thick, so there is also some weight savings possible in the order of 6 or 7%.

How would a AP Biplane fuselage look a like?

kirbylee

HBA Supporter
I’ve actually 3 points of the AP, that I don‘t like;
- the aft upper fuselage longeron, where it goes, right into the back of a pilot if things go wrong, I’d rather have in one line from the wingroot going aft.

- the landing gear, it might be stout as only possible, but it looks for me like molehillkiller, a better gear arrangement would be the one of the Ranger.
but, couldn't you think of three things you don't like about any plane?
- last the FlightControl arrangement, I don’t have a straight idea, but I’ve seen some neat solutions on Affordaplanes in the www.

b7gwap

Fritz Afford-a-Master for the win.

Now, how to attach those empennage booms to tube ladder wing spars. :)

blane.c

HBA Supporter
View attachment 87289 Further I would like to install a seat tank analog to this one, 13 Gal of fuel
I have such a hard time adding fuel without spilling any, I mean almost always a dribble goes somewhere unintended. It is probably just me.

I have flown quite a bit with the boot cowl full of gas over my feet and legs, and carting it in 5 gallon cans directly behind the seat so sitting on it almost seems like a natural progression. But it is like it should be a secret you know like a wart or something you don't really talk about. There just has to be a lot of bic lighter and matches jokes about that seat.

FritzW

Log Member
It's going to raise you up a few inches (but the top longeron could be raised a few inches also). And it looks a little snug, are you going to fit in it"? ...it also looks like it'll keep you from sliding from side to side, so snug may be a good thing.

erkki67

FE15029D-28B0-438F-9243-AD8A7341B9E8.jpeg

Another seat configuration to be thought of, a sling seat with the tank behind the pilot.

A welcome side effect, an added triangle for the stiffness of the structure.

With the frame of the seat, we have an point where to attach the power lever

erkki67

The wing-struts could be attached to the lower bar (tube) of the seat.

Even the flight control hardpoints could find their location between the lower seat tube and the fuselage structure.

Group Builder