What Constitutes a "Political" Post?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

OhAnElBirds

I have empathy for the moderators who have an unpaid job herding cats.

This isn't meant to be a criticism, I am relatively new here and seek guidance.

I understand that political discussions (as well as religious ones, or ones on the relative merits of Michigan State vs the University of Michigan) can lead to unpleasant conversations. But where does a discussion about a subject concerning a regulated activity become political? I ask because I don't want to waste my time typing things that you will waste your time deleting.

Lisa

(From OED)

pol·i·tics
/ˈpäləˌtiks/
noun

1. the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power...
  2. The activities of governments concerning the political relations between countries...
  3. The academic study of government and the state...
  4. Activities within an organization that are aimed at improving someone's status or position and are typically considered to be devious or divisive...
  5. The assumptions or principles relating to or inherent in a sphere, theory, or thing, especially when concerned with power and status in a society...

Last edited by a moderator:

challenger_II

I have empathy for the moderators who have an unpaid job herding cats.

This isn't meant to be a criticism, I am relatively new here and seek guidance.

I understand that political discussions (as well as religious ones, or ones on the relative merits of Michigan State vs the University of Michigan) can lead to unpleasant conversations. But where does a discussion about a subject concerning a regulated activity become political? I ask because I don't want to waste my time typing things that you will waste your time deleting.

Lisa, you missed one:

Politics: Poly, meaning "many"; Ticks, meaning "blood-sucking vermin".

Sorry, I couldn't resist...

Lisa

(From OED)

pol·i·tics
/ˈpäləˌtiks/
noun

1. the activities associated with the governance of a country or other area, especially the debate or conflict among individuals or parties having or hoping to achieve power...
  2. The activities of governments concerning the political relations between countries...
  3. The academic study of government and the state...
  4. Activities within an organization that are aimed at improving someone's status or position and are typically considered to be devious or divisive...
  5. The assumptions or principles relating to or inherent in a sphere, theory, or thing, especially when concerned with power and status in a society...

OhAnElBirds

If you're not sure, you should probably not post it.
Problem being that I'm pretty sure about most everything I do, :) but feel free to correct me if I'm wrong,

"Things get deleted if they get heated," is what I take out of the last few posts.

And don't get me wrong... You are the moderator, so if that's the bar-- then that's the bar.

But the word "political" is throwing me. If the definition is broad, then everything in a forum concerning regulations, potential changes in regulations, and proposed regulations is by its very nature "political."

If it's a narrow definition (say "partisan political") then pointing out idiocy is not political speech.

Just my $0.02 worth (and you get it for free!)

Lisa

Last edited:

OhAnElBirds

Yep , nothing like arguing with a Post . (pun intentional)
“When life itself seems lunatic, who knows where madness lies? Perhaps to be too practical is madness. To surrender dreams — this may be madness. Too much sanity may be madness — and maddest of all: to see life as it is, and not as it should be!”
— Don Quixote to Sancho Panza (Miguel de Cervantes Saavedra)

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I meant, "if you're not sure whether you should post it," not whether you're sure about your opinion.

Talking about FAA regulations isn't political.
Pointing out the idiocy of an FAA regulation isn't political.
Pointing out the idiocy of an FAA regulation and blaming it on the Democrats or Republicans is political.
And talking about government policy regarding gender or race, even if it involves the FAA, is bound to get political.

We've seen enough threads go off the rails that we can usually see it coming, and sometimes remove borderline posts before things get unpleasant, to keep the discussion relevant to homebuilt airplanes, which after all is why we're all here.

wktaylor

Dana... more moderators need Your native wisdom and experience => INSIGHT!

I have passed Your uniquely elegant explanation [Nov 11] to the moderators of an engineering forum for 'Fud-4-Thot'.

Thank YOU!!