• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

what can be logged toward repairman cert or A & P?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aviacs

Many operations toward building or repairing aircraft include tool making.
How much of that can be logged toward the Repairman's Certification, or even an A & P?

Time spent machining and building simple tools for, say, alignments of aircraft assemblies; or fixtures for machining parts themselves, would seem to be eligible?
How about more extensive generalized prep work?
How about a wing alignment fixture for someone else's project but no actual work on re-skinning or other parts of the AC?

For instance, i'm currently building an oven to blow a canopy.
(all theory at this point, performance TBD :) )
The Q is, is all of the time loggable? If not, some would seem to be appropriate? How to apportion?

The way this forum trends, people tend to focus on every aspect but the actual Q's :)
So more info includes:

I am working to miscegenate parts from different experimental airplanes with 2 shortish term objectives, & one long term:
S1.) obtain E/AB AWC (if possible as opposed to Exhibition)
S2.) include a number of convenient improvements not envisioned in the original design including wet wings, flaps, inboard walk/step, etc. . As well as necessary structure & mods to fit me, including raised canopy, increasing tail/vertical stab & rudder surface, etc.
L1.) potential retirement age A & P: given work i do/have done on airplanes including owned and others, it could have been logged over the years. Having my own airplane again makes that interesting.

Aerodynamicist friend (PhD) is involved in the specifics of the project. Our FSDO is friendly toward apprentice route toward A & P.
After a long Covid lapse, they will present in our hanagar again in Sept, so i can address some of the specifics with the reps on site.

Again, my actual Q to start prepping and not "losing" more loggable time is: How much of toolmaking is elibible to be logged, how should it be apportioned?

Thanks!
smt

Back