What are you doing in addition to flying?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

RCBinChicken

[edit: I read back over my own comment and yeah I don't feel like this was the appropriate place for it. Sorry all. As you were!]

Last edited:

challenger_II

Cold and dreary perspective on your own future! Get those thoughts OUT of your head!
Rather than dwell on the reasons you can't do it, devise stratagems on how you CAN!
Model builder? Good start down the path! Many of the Forum Members cut their teeth building models, figuring out how to make them fly, then fly right, and THEN figuring out how to get the most out of them!
TEAM used to advertise their Mini Max in model airplane publications. Their lead in was " Why build a model and then let it do all the flying?
There are a lot of folks, some even members here, that are of limited means, yet still work out a way to get in the air safely.

Don't limit yourself.

J.L. Frusha

Reading this thread, I'm realizing anew that I'm considerably (1) younger and (2) more boring than the average member here... you're all maintaining a pretty impressive portfolio! Congrats to the ballroom dance champ especially. :D

Sadly for me it's "instead of", not "in addition to". I'm working full-time, earning "good-by-my-standards" money for once in my grew-up-on-welfare-ass life and... that's about it, and likely to remain so. Putting maybe a couple of hours a week max into building the little RC planes, when the fog lifts, but starting to wise up to the hard truth I'll never have the skills, resources or (most vitally) energy/determination to build a plane big enough to carry myself, even on a one-way trip. And maybe that's for the best - in my part of the world, it's a lot of paperwork. I think on the odds of it, I'll get more fun out of spectating the handiwork of people who do know what they're doing.
There is a reason I have the quotes in my signature...

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Born In Alabama, reside: Louisiana (unfortunately)
Building, flying and floating RC.
Built a gun. Something I've always wanted to do. AR-10 in 6.5 CM for those of you who are in to this sort of thing.
Wife and I celebrated our 40th. Family from all over came in for the better part of the week. Wife went crazy with the checkbook.
Got the Harley out.
The AR-10 is the only way to roll. The 15 never crossed my mind. I want to be able to control real-estate and keep em at a distance if the time arises.

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Last edited:

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Cold and dreary perspective on your own future! Get those thoughts OUT of your head!
Rather than dwell on the reasons you can't do it, devise stratagems on how you CAN!
Model builder? Good start down the path! Many of the Forum Members cut their teeth building models, figuring out how to make them fly, then fly right, and THEN figuring out how to get the most out of them!
TEAM used to advertise their Mini Max in model airplane publications. Their lead in was " Why build a model and then let it do all the flying?
There are a lot of folks, some even members here, that are of limited means, yet still work out a way to get in the air safely.

Don't limit yourself.

Amen and well stated!

SpruceForest

The AR-10 is the only way to roll. The 15 never crossed my mind. I want to be able to control real-estate and keep em at a distance if the time arises.

Sometimes ya just want to have both, and an 8.5" 300BO with 230gn subs and a can is just a Thompson that weighs a lot less, avoids waking up the neighbors, but is still a crowd-pleaser. With the 77 gn Mk262Mod1, even the shorties in 556 reach out ACCURATELY to 400M. Not that authority you get from a 20" 308 or 22" 6.5CM in AR-10/308, but they are like Pringles... can't stop at just a dozen. ;)

Totally unrelated subject: thinking about a couple hard-points for, er, drop tanks...that's it...drop tanks. Wanna stay well outside the prop arc (I've seen 2.75's wiggle pretty good out of the pod until the fins are out and get some airflow). Anyone do any 'drop tank' hard point engineering on something like a Bearhawk Patrol? Just noodling.

billyvray

My hobby is working on my cheap junk. two S10's one needs a master/slave, one needs a distributor (both working on this weekend). Also a golf cart we inherited that has slowly failed every part....
Latest build project is a long-tail engine for a jon boat. I got some cheap ebay plans and modified/improved the design for longevity and performance and ease of built (read: I have a bunch of 1" angle so used that to build with). Neat little project. Also has retractable landing gear for loading with a utility trailer and no boat ramp required. May even offer plans for it since I drew it all up in Inventor.
And yes, I tow it with a Prius.

1658486322517.png
1658486338886.png
1658486266060.png 1658486306025.png 1658486285668.png

Yellowhammer

Supporting Member
Sometimes ya just want to have both, and an 8.5" 300BO with 230gn subs and a can is just a Thompson that weighs a lot less, avoids waking up the neighbors, but is still a crowd-pleaser. With the 77 gn Mk262Mod1, even the shorties in 556 reach out ACCURATELY to 400M. Not that authority you get from a 20" 308 or 22" 6.5CM in AR-10/308, but they are like Pringles... can't stop at just a dozen. ;)

Totally unrelated subject: thinking about a couple hard-points for, er, drop tanks...that's it...drop tanks. Wanna stay well outside the prop arc (I've seen 2.75's wiggle pretty good out of the pod until the fins are out and get some airflow). Anyone do any 'drop tank' hard point engineering on something like a Bearhawk Patrol? Just noodling.

Yes sir. No doubt about the accuracy at the 400 m range with the 5.56. When I was in the USMC I really began to value the 7.62 / .308 round. The kinetic energy down range is serious. I recall some guys saying that you don't hump as much weight with the 5.56 round as you do with the 7.62. My reply was B.S., you only end up carrying more ammunition because either way your Alice pack will weigh as much as you can tolerate.

We used to train with 60 pound Alice packs not including water. They always made us weigh it without our water which I thought was sadistic. Of course the U.S.M.C is (or used to be) sadistic by design

Frankly, I feel our soldiers and Marines are carrying too much in most cases. Hard to be high speed low drag with all that gear on.

Hope all is well with you my friend.

-Yellowhammer

Dillpickle

DP,

Great engine. I have one in a Toro 5500D Fairway mower I use and it is a solid engine. I read where you do upholstry / leather work. I really want to do my own interior on my plane. Any advice on study material and or equipment?

Thanks,
Yellowhammer
So....I'm kinda weird on sewing machines. I have a Thompson walking foot that I SHOULD be using, but I found a relatively rare (in the US at least) British Singer 201. It is considered to be the finest domestic sewing machine ever made, and is rumored to have been used in upholstering Rolls Royces. US Singer 201's all have a potted motor in the back. British ones used a handcrank, a rear motor like singer 99's, or a treadle. I found a 1938 model that was designed to either be treadled OR electric powered, and it still had the British motor and wiring on it. A warbride had brought it over, and it sat until I found it.
smoooooth.
I found a Brother commercial treadle base with a man sized foot pedal and much larger wheels. I mounted a different 201 on it, and swapped out the 201 hand wheel for a treadle wheel. I like it because it is slow or fast, and powerful. If you don't sew alot, the ability to punch one or two holes a second is cool. The 201 will do a few layers of upholstery leather, and I just sewed up a Bikini top for a buddies jeep, but I wouldn't try anything heavier than garment leather or appropriate upholstery leather. The first airplane I upholstered, I used the leather from a broken couch. Practice on free ones....

J.L. Frusha

So....I'm kinda weird on sewing machines. I have a Thompson walking foot that I SHOULD be using, but I found a relatively rare (in the US at least) British Singer 201. It is considered to be the finest domestic sewing machine ever made, and is rumored to have been used in upholstering Rolls Royces. US Singer 201's all have a potted motor in the back. British ones used a handcrank, a rear motor like singer 99's, or a treadle. I found a 1938 model that was designed to either be treadled OR electric powered, and it still had the British motor and wiring on it. A warbride had brought it over, and it sat until I found it.
smoooooth.
I found a Brother commercial treadle base with a man sized foot pedal and much larger wheels. I mounted a different 201 on it, and swapped out the 201 hand wheel for a treadle wheel. I like it because it is slow or fast, and powerful. If you don't sew alot, the ability to punch one or two holes a second is cool. The 201 will do a few layers of upholstery leather, and I just sewed up a Bikini top for a buddies jeep, but I wouldn't try anything heavier than garment leather or appropriate upholstery leather. The first airplane I upholstered, I used the leather from a broken couch. Practice on free ones....
I bought an old Singer for leathercraft. Money having been thin around here, I haven't even bothered trying to sew with it. Once the portable building arrives, I'll have a pole set, wire the shop and move the Singer in.

Aside from recently becoming motivated to get my Quicksilver project in the air, I've discovered 3D printing and I'm learning the ins and outs of that adventure. I'm using filament-based rigs, and my son has gone down the resin printing path. I used the 3D printer to create parts for a hobbyist CNC so I can learn about those types of things. I'd like to use it to produce parts for speakers and other things of the sort for another hobby of mine: DIY audio gear.

Why spend $100 to have someone do something for you when you can spend $1000 and do it yourself. 😆🤣🤓

Pops

Supporting Member
I bought an old Singer for leathercraft. Money having been thin around here, I haven't even bothered trying to sew with it. Once the portable building arrives, I'll have a pole set, wire the shop and move the Singer in.
I bought a cow hide to make the seat cushion for the JMR Special. Now just using an old cushion I found somewhere. Wife and daughter sews and make quilts. Wife has a sewing room in the house and has all the tools and machines but I'm allowed in the room but have to keep my hands OFF everything :) Be thinking of buying an old machine off ebay and see what kind of job I can do since both of them says I can's use their machines.
What to buy ? any ideas ?
This is the seats in my daughters C-140 she used to own. I would like to copy these IF possible.

Attachments

• AR001203.JPG
    AR001203.JPG
    78.4 KB · Views: 0
  • AR001303.JPG
    AR001303.JPG
    77.7 KB · Views: 0
  • DSCF0018.JPG
    DSCF0018.JPG
    121.3 KB · Views: 0

J.L. Frusha

This is the seats in my daughters C-140 she used to own. I would like to copy these IF possible.
My suggestion would be a motorized old Singer, like Great Grandma had. They're rated for some shoe/boot work, denim seams and medium leather thicknesses.
I sent a PM

Last edited:

Dillpickle

I bought a cow hide to make the seat cushion for the JMR Special. Now just using an old cushion I found somewhere. Wife and daughter sews and make quilts. Wife has a sewing room in the house and has all the tools and machines but I'm allowed in the room but have to keep my hands OFF everything :) Be thinking of buying an old machine off ebay and see what kind of job I can do since both of them says I can's use their machines.
Pops, those seats are beautiful. So I've collected and fiddled with sewing machines for a few decades. Love the old singers, BUT they are NOT commercial duty nor heavy leather stitching machines. They will do denim and garment grade leather. I just sewed a pair of double front canvas duck overalls, 12 oz canvas and 6 layers.They don't have the power for heavy leather, and if you do stick a boot through a non commercial singer, you will break it or throw it out of time. Caveat Emptor. Now the most ubiquitous singer out there are the class 15 series. You'll see them called 66, 99, and and occasionally, the 15-95. You can sew LIGHT leather, despite every single eBay seller out there calling them "Heavy duty Comercial leather sewing machine" they aren't. A leather sewing machine has a walking foot, a device that pinches the material sewed from both side and moves it. The cheapest ones of these are clones of the Sailright company.

The Singer 15 series is barely adequate, but ten times stronger than the average "new" home machines. Ten times heavier too. These are oscillating bobbin machines. I'd get a treadle before I got a electric, because the tiny .3 to .8 amp motors are ridiculously underpowered for heavy duty work. If I DID go with a 15, I'd find a 15-95 with its heavier potted motor.

The other Singer to look for is the 201. Unlike the oscillating bobbin of the 15 series, it had the smoothest bobbin system ever invented, the rotory. Man, they did it right. MOST of the 201 series sold in the US are rear potted motors like the 15-95 I mentioned above. If you can find one, buy it, assuming it works well. If you can find a broken treadle machine, buy it, toss the 66, 99, or 127 on it, and use the hand wheel on the treadle on the 201.

I'd use a 66 0r 99 of it was all I could get, but I wouldn't buy one. I'd find a 15-95 or 201. Not much difference in price than the others, and a better start. Feel free to ask questions. Upholstery is a fun learning curve. Lots of youtube vids. Some excellent teachers out there that don't speak English, and to compensate, lay out the most exquisite instructions in pictures. The guy with the youtube channel Cechaflo is one of the best teachers I've watched.

Pops

Supporting Member
The kind of infro I was looking for. Thank you.
That is a 1947 Cessna 140 that my daughter and I restored from a boxes of parts and a bare shell fuselage. Cessna 150 , C-200 engine and C-150 seats.