What are you doing in addition to flying?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Derswede

Ummmmm...working? Waiting to retire! Had a good friend who told a stupid 20 yr old kid, "put every cent you can afford into a retirement account. You will appreciate it down the line....." And 45 years later, his wisdom is now appreciated, as is my Scottish heritage, which hates debt. No debt, a retirement account with a few Zlotskis in it, and still fairly sane. Now, I have a year and a half (full social at 66.5 yrs now) to sell off my warehouse stock and a Hawk project, shut down the company and take up fishing and flying full time. Have had my pipes cleaned out, so that should give me a couple more years. Working on becoming a curmudgeon now, going to be the crotchety old guy who always says about his projects, "yea, I'm gonna rebuild that and (ride/fly/whatever) it in a year or two!"
Derswede

J.L. Frusha

Good luck! One set of my grandparents were ballroom dancing right up until JBs early 90s. Stopped about 6 months before he passed away.

geraldmorrissey

I spent 40 years in composites at major airframers so when I retired I wanted a project that used these skills. I tooled up a carbon fiber acoustical guitar. The prototype is to the point where it needs a luthier to finish the details. Hoping it sounds good. Have tooling to make thousands of them.
Gerry

Attachments

• 20220304_131342.jpg
    20220304_131342.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 9
  • 20220304_131335.jpg
    20220304_131335.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220304_131252.jpg
    20220304_131252.jpg
    18.3 KB · Views: 13

J.L. Frusha

I spent 40 years in composites at major airframers so when I retired I wanted a project that used these skills. I tooled up a carbon fiber acoustical guitar. The prototype is to the point where it needs a luthier to finish the details. Hoping it sounds good. Have tooling to make thousands of them.
Gerry

I doubt I could afford one, but that's a pretty guit-fiddle. How long is the scale? I prefer the 4-ft long-scale, myself.

I used to have a Washburn Piezo-Acoustic-Electric Bass. Carved my own nut from a bone blank and restrung it as a reverse-strung Right-handed using some black silk-wrapped strings. She was sweet. Fella made an stupid-high offer I couldn't refuse at a time I needed money.

geraldmorrissey

The scale length will be between 24" and 25". Still TBD. No truss rod, no internal stiffeners. Hollow and very light. Only 5 parts comprise the complete structure as shown. It's been a fun project but has taken much time away from the plane I'm building.
Gerry

Daleandee

The scale length will be between 24" and 25". Still TBD. No truss rod, no internal stiffeners. Hollow and very light. Only 5 parts comprise the complete structure as shown.

Interesting project you have there. Question ... how do you set the action on the neck without an internal truss rod? I know a lot can be adjusted with the nut and the bridge ends. If this is too off topic for the group you can reply by PM.

Thanks ...

Gerry
Funny! I also retired from composites with the lazy B but that was enough to drive me right straight to primitive materials for my planes!!!

SpruceForest

Let's see... still working FT at a shadowy, government-funded think tank, building custom acoustic guitars in my 'spare' time (a few a year) and doing related repair work, teaching myself OA welding (with some mentoring from those that actually have that skill-set), refreshing on structural analysis (Bruhn '49 and '73, Perry, etc, ... learning more applicable stuff with 75 year-old texts than I ever did in two semesters of flight structures with Bruce D.), and self-tutoring on Fusion 360. I like to stay busy.

Tom DM

Supporting Member
EBGB Grimbergen airfield (N of Brussels, Belgium)
. Working on becoming a curmudgeon now, going to be the crotchety old guy who always says about his projects, "yea, I'm gonna rebuild that and (ride/fly/whatever) it in a year or two!"
Derswede

Thanks for the above: had never seen/heard the word "curmudgeon "...

Prime candidate for a business-card : Tom DM Engineer and Curmudgeon.
I bet somebody's else head that such will impress more than the business cards where titles spin from front to rear.

Curmudgeon... it has a "evil sorcerer"-ring. Keep up the good work, Mr Derswede!

Daleandee

Thanks for the above: had never seen/heard the word "curmudgeon "...

There are a few other classifications that some of us fit into. These are known as Codger, Geezer, & Coot.

I won't tie up the thread with descriptions as they are available on the net and easy to find unless, like me, you are a Troglodyte! 😁

Aviacs

I tooled up a carbon fiber acoustical guitar. The prototype is to the point where it needs a luthier to finish the details. Hoping it sounds good.

That is so cool!
Any chance you connected with Ken Parker?
Ken was probably the first to use carbon fiber as an essential element of guitars, in his legendary "Fly" Guitar in 1993.
Ken eventually sold out to US Music Corp, and they were last produced in '08 or so. Ken has moved back to (mostly) solid wood, but uses any material that works for the ideas he wants to explore. He has been the most innovative successful guitar maker of the past few decades. He will try anything if it looks great & edgy, and sounds even better. You really should run this by him, if you have not already. He's a relatively easy guy to talk to about theory and innovation. In fact, get him going on an idea, and he is relentless.

I am neither a luthier nor musician.
"Faintly" acquainted with Ken through a mutual furniture builder (& banjo builder) friend whose shop he worked in to learn woodworking, so he could figure out how to build the guitars he had in mind.

smt

geraldmorrissey

SpruceForest is being modest. Check the Bearhawk forum for his text on scratch building AL wing ribs. Required reading for scratch builders.
Gerry

SpruceForest

SpruceForest is being modest. Check the Bearhawk forum for his text on scratch building AL wing ribs. Required reading for scratch builders.
Gerry
Naw...that carbon fiber magic guitar stuff is still way more over-the-top cool than tin-bending... did my semester of torture fabricating test articles for Dr. Lee... building a guitar with the stuff? Way beyond me.

When not tinkering on my planes , hotrods , Suzuki Samurais or so many other projects , I resort back to mechanic work like putting a rear end in my recliner . Me and the Captin (Morgan) of coarse . Too busy for anything else . Have had thoughts of becoming a Marriage Counseler but can't even spell it correctly , so ? 🐒 :bow: