What are you doing in addition to flying?

Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum

Help Support Homebuilt Aircraft & Kit Plane Forum:

Admin

Administrator
Staff member
What'cha been up to lately? Building? Flying? Visiting relatives? Or do you play a musical instrument, ride a motorcycle, or build race cars?

So what I've been doing when away from the internet is taking long drives in the country. Do you take drives in the country?

Victor Bravo

Supporting Member
Working one 40 hour job in an office, having two or three other spot jobs as a contractor, having one unpaid job teaching an airplane building class. Flying once a week, spoiling an already-spoiled miniature Dachshund. Hiding behind the couch when I see the wife pick up a frying pan. Wondering what the forum owner is doing asking somewhat suspiciously off-topic questions... :)

Chopndrag

Building fuselages for airplanes. Welding parts for airplanes .... Making stuff to keep the wife happy in the woods/park we have . Dealing with 4 kids . Does anyone really want to hear all this ? Haha. Going tomorrow to find a plane I found last year that went down in a preserve they left there to see how it has weathered the years it's been in the woods. Lots of Aviation because it's life and flying my Sonerai 2 on a regular basis.

Attachments

• 740966170.mp4
    49.2 MB
  • 20200804_172320.jpg
    20200804_172320.jpg
    207.6 KB · Views: 33
  • 287456340.jpg
    287456340.jpg
    135.5 KB · Views: 31

PMD

Contracting to former JV partners to support work on large power transformers. I keep doing this to fund the building of a "retirement" shop on farm, so any time not doing work for them I try to work on developing farm. Involves a fair bit of R&D as we will be building with materials and processes not normally used. Side hussle doing some sales team building with a friend's company for another friend.

Main job, these days though is to be Grandpa to 5 little boys and one little girl.

Bigshu

Supporting Member
What'cha been up to lately? Building? Flying? Visiting relatives? Or do you play a musical instrument, ride a motorcycle, or build race cars?

So what I've been doing when away from the internet is taking long drives in the country. Do you take drives in the country?
A bunch of CAP folks got a chance to visit Whiteman AFB and get a walkaround of a B2. Incredibly impressive up close, even though I think the B1 was a much prettier aircraft. Like any warbird, the B2 is all business, and incredibly over built. The AF folks we were with by the aircraft were very gracious, proud of their aircraft (which are named after states!) and fun to talk to. The security folks we went through to get there were no nonsense and eyed us with suspicion even though CAP people are part of the "total force" concept and are the AF auxiliary. Been going to lots of baseball games and grilling out a lot. Bought a VW conversion off a guy's KR2 project to put on my Hummel H5 build. Looking for land to build a grass strip on.

Daleandee

Been spending time learning stuff and watching folks feed the troll on:

1654820063940.png

😁😁😁

Did manage to give my neighbor an airplane ride this week. He wanted to go but said "nothing steep." Turns out that 15º was about his limit so I kept it nice and polite for him as I wanted him to like the ride. He said he did, several times!

Last edited:

don january

Riding my VW Trike, flying rc's, fishing for northern pike, car show at devils run Devils Lake N.D. , Cutting fire wood and having a cold Bush lite. Also to keep in schedule of the Northern states preparing wood for the fire place.

Can't respond directly to the thread. Last flight was 9/5/20 :( .............so no "in addition to".

Electrified my bicycle and bought a trailer for it. Should save some $$s* when I'm completely over the virus of the last few weeks (Not C19). Looking forward to doing the same to my recumbent trike and upgrading to DOT tires etc. so I can put a motorcycle plate on it.

I'd be working on the plane but I just don't have usable workspace available right now for anything larger than the bike - but I have cash saved, a plan and time to change that before winter.

Edit: First part of post #8 applies too. :cool:

* and strain on my worn out left hip. 50+ years of clutch operation?

Appowner

Building, flying and floating RC.
Built a gun. Something I've always wanted to do. AR-10 in 6.5 CM for those of you who are in to this sort of thing.
Wife and I celebrated our 40th. Family from all over came in for the better part of the week. Wife went crazy with the checkbook.
Got the Harley out.

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Building my airplane, mowing the lawn, helping the wife get her vegetable garden in, yard and tree work, preparing a homebuilder's display for EAA chapter pancake breakfast, preparing for various Young Eagle activities, moderating this Forum, and more...

pylon500

Supporting Member
I'm supposed to be retired, but I'm basically too busy to hold down a job, what with;
•Assist in building five aircraft that I've designed (OK, I only designed two aircraft, but we're building four of one of them),
•Maintaining two training aircraft for my little school,
•Doing trial flights, flight training and the odd BFR as they come through,
•Trying to re-engine one of my earlier project planes,
•Making fibreglass parts for a local manufacturer (two or three times a year),
•Trying to maintain my three acre property when the weather fines up (and no-one wants to go flying),
•Some years back, I fell down the rabbit hole of fandoms and started writing and doing digital art (was never very good), which is why I wasn't here for a few years, but I think I've weaned myself out of that at last... OK, I'm still reading and editing other peoples works.
But other than that, I've got the odd minute now and then to scratch myself, well, some days at least...

sotaro

Supporting Member
I live in San Francisco. I retired last year, and due to those little things, have stayed at home except for visits to nearby relatives. Running, riding my bicycles and the internet are my forms of entertainment. Now I am in Oaxaca, loving the rain, the clean air and a chance to speak Spanish. My first trip since before the pandemic. My goal for the next year is to learn to pilot a glider or private plane.