Quantcast

What are you designing, building, flying or interested in?

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

flitzerpilot

Mostly low-powered (VW) biplanes, but currently finishing drafting the F.2 Tiger (possibly for an Aeromomentum) , Stormcock and Flitzer-Laird LC-1W for various engines including the Verner 5Si. The prototype Flitzer Z-2 will receive its Verner 7U today. Also drafting and making some initial parts for an 84% Sperry M-1, using a unique and ultra cheap drag bracing system. Intended for the UK's SSDR category, the 3-cylinder Verner 3V is a perfect fit for a scaled Lawrance radial.

Twodeaddogs

HBA Supporter
the Luton LA.4a Minor and the Taylor Monoplane......having flown the Luton,I'll tell you that it's great fun but you dont want to be tall as getting in requires the agility of a limbo dancer and the windscreen is too low for a tall pilot so you get the full wind blast in the face. The Taylor Monoplane is tiny and really suits someone thin and no more than about 5 ft 8"tall.

BJC

HBA Supporter
The Taylor Monoplane is tiny and really suits someone thin and no more than about 5 ft 8"tall.
When I first read about the Taylor Monoplane, I became seriously interested. Then I saw the prototype and realized that, at 6’ 2”, I would not fit.

BJC

Yellowhammer

I am primarily interested in small single-seaters flown just for fun. I especially like older, classic homebuilts, including many of the all-wood, VW-powered variety. I plan to start building something next summer, after I finish restoring my 1966 VW Beetle. Front runners at the moment are the Luton LA.4a Minor and the Taylor Monoplane.

On a slightly different note, I have been very slowly designing a little racing-inspired sport monoplane, based on Raceair's Supervee rules. This may be a really looooong-term project for the future. I had one semester of calculus 35 years ago, so I am having to re-learn a bunch of math as I go. I fully concur with Billski's recent remarks that building an existing design is a far, far easier path for the non-engineer. But I plod along, because it's fun to keep learning.
Take a look at the FP202/Super Koala concept POP's built. Keeps calling me. A ton of capability on a dirt simple hand propped 1834VW !

12notes

Lifetime Supporter
Log Member
I am almost 3 years into scratch building a Hummelbird with modifications - I changed the airfoil to a Riblett 30GA613.5, added leading edge wing tanks, and modified various minor bits. I still have to assemble the left outer wing and build the entire firewall forward, but I've already rebuilt the Global 1/2 VW engine. On hiatus until my shoulder mends.

Reactions: BJC

Holtzy3

7 years later, still want to build a WAR fw-190, also looking at just building an RV-8 though. Just debating on how much I want to annoy my neighbors with construction noise.

N804RV

7 years later, still want to build a WAR fw-190, also looking at just building an RV-8 though. Just debating on how much I want to annoy my neighbors with construction noise.
If you build the -8, just do the QB kit. Unless you're a dedicated scrounger who's more interested in the process than the airplane, the cost savings just isn't that much (IMHO). This is from someone who bought an RV-8 empennage kit in 1999, didn't start building until 2014, and is still 1 - 2 years away from first flight.

And yeah, ...don't worry about bothering the neighbors. I asked the neighbor the other day if my air compressor and rivet gun bothered him. His resposne was , "No. What're you building?"

robertl

Not building anymore, I put my CH-701 project up for sale but, I am flying more than ever. I'm going to have to do some weight reduction in order to fly from S.C. to Airventure 2021 with a co-pilot and camping gear. Weight reduction on my part, not the Cessna 150! I think 30 lbs should do it, or, less fuel and shorter flights, I'm opting for the 30 lb weight loss, I'm going back on the Carnivore diet.
While I'm at it, any of y'all fly from down South to A/V, if so, any particular route you like to take? I have considered a couple of different ones so far, staying away from class C and B airspase.
Bob

Attachments

BJC

HBA Supporter
I met two couples camping in the Classics area at Oshkosh. They had a table, chairs, two big ice chests, a camp stove, lanterns, two big tents, etc. I looked at the 7AC and the 150, and they just chuckled. They had shipped all their stuff, and needed no baggage capacity.

BJC

IVAN99m

I like to build from scratch always .
Even the propeller . I will carve it