• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What are the typical Cl max values for a sport aircraft with and without high lift devices?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oriol

Hi!

In another thread it was mentioned, tangentially, a potential Cl value which seemed a bit optimistic. Given that I am not an expert to tell, what is too much and what can be too small. I was curious about the possible Cl max values that can be found in a sport airplane, with or without high lift devices?

On the net I found a paper with Cl max values for infinite wings and another one with CL max values of commercial airplanes.

In the case of infinite wings the Maximum value is of 4 with an experimental boundary layer suction system. Then you have a wing, with a combination of double slotted flap with a leading edge slat, that can go as high 3,2.

In the graph with commercial airplanes the highest value is that 2,8 for the de Havilland Dash 8.

To get a bit of perspective, I checked what was the Cl max of a superstol sport aircraft. I picked the Slepcev Storch, with the values given in the specs, considering a MTOW of 450kgs, a min speed of 41kmh, you have a CL of 3,13. Given that value I do not know if the minimum speed claimed on the Slepcev is a abit exagerated to make it more commercially attractive?
Perhaps the airplane can perform astonishing take off distance in YT with the help of a little headwind and minimum weight?

Using the specs of the single seat Eipper quicksilver I have a CL of 1.

The difference between the Eipper quicksilver with 1 and that of the Storch of 3, seems a bit too much.

What is your opinion, is the Cl value of the Storch realistic?
What can be a reasonal value of maximum CL for a wing without high lift devices (like the Eipper or much higher) and another used with those like in a light sport STOL aircraft?

Thanks for your comments,

Oriol

Back