• Welcome aboard HomebuiltAirplanes.com, your destination for connecting with a thriving community of more than 10,000 active members, all passionate about home-built aviation. Dive into our comprehensive repository of knowledge, exchange technical insights, arrange get-togethers, and trade aircrafts/parts with like-minded enthusiasts. Unearth a wide-ranging collection of general and kit plane aviation subjects, enriched with engaging imagery, in-depth technical manuals, and rare archives.

For a nominal fee of $99.99/year or $12.99/month, you can immerse yourself in this dynamic community and unparalleled treasure-trove of aviation knowledge.

Embark on your journey now!

Click Here to Become a Premium Member and Experience Homebuilt Airplanes to the Fullest!

What are the fastest kitset or commonly homebuild piston engine designs?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Battson

Just an interesting thought I've been mulling over, I guess these would be the commonly built racers for Joe public (when he can afford it) - some wild one-off design isn't really relevent to this post. But I am talking about cruise speed, rather than Vne.

Some designs that come to mind: I think the important characteristics are the speed and the power plant, as it's not hard just to use a bigger engine to get more speed. Also the altitude which they measure speeds at is relevant

Sharp - Nemesis NXT, Cruise about 300kts with IO-540-K (big block), excess of 320kts at MSL with IO-720
reno05_sport_42_2975.jpg

Lancair - Legacy, Cruise about 240kts for the longer winged version with IO-550 @8000ft.
Legacy_speedmod_lrg.jpg

Questair - Venture, Cruise about 240kts with IO-550-G, albeit a reasonable different looking aircraft in terms of dimensions.
21050d1354142571-interesting-aircraft-questairventure_1.jpg

Stoddard-Hamilton - Glasair III, Cruise about 240kts with IO-540-K, much more affordable than the aircraft above.
C-GGTM-Glasair-III-4.jpg

What else is out there?

I am aware of other composite designs like the Falco/Furio, the Harmon Rocket, RV-8, etc etc which come in under 200kts with various engines, but they are not compariable to the above in terms of straight line speed in a x-country cruise.

Back