Quantcast

What Are The Best Welding Rods For 4130 O/A Welding

HomeBuiltAirplanes.com

Help Support HomeBuiltAirplanes.com:

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
This has been covered to death, just avoid 4130 filler.

I use RG45. I've used RG60, ER70S2 and 80. They all work.

"Best rod" has more to do with your personal technique and preference than it ever would actual rod selection.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
I can send you a few sticks of each and you see what you like. Lots of people like RG45 for a reason, it's just a good old fashioned rod that works well.

TFF

ER70 is go to rod. I did once get to weld with the expensive TIG rod, like Budder.

Dana

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know ER70 is recommended for TIG welding 4130, that's what I bought for my landing gear, but is it a good choice for gas too? When I bought it along with an acetylene refill the guy at the welding shop said "that's TIG rod". I was using old rod I bought from Dillsburg years ago for the (gas) tack welding.

Dana

wsimpso1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Log Member
I started out using RG45, got some ER70 on the recommendation that it sparks less and wets easier. My skills were increasing during that time, so who knows if it is really any easier to use or not, but it works fine. I suspect that, like most things, once you know what you are doing, you could weld with almost any plain carbon rod as long as it was clean.

Oh, and listen to Scrapper - alloy steel rod only goes in weldments you are going to heat treat (in a furnace). Very rare in airplanes, even rarer in homebuilts.

Billski

rbrochey

Thanks everyone and I'd like to try the RG45 Try Hot Wings tip to... I've been welding on my truck and getting my skills back up with sheet metal and some practice tube... I'll be starting the first stages of the LE XL the first of October... so want to get everything ready. I like O/A because I have cattle panels and metal gates etc etc scattered around where ther is no power and don't want to lug a big generator around... building a new horse run in too out of pipe and pro panels again where... so I need that versatility ... so thanks again, helpful information.

Little Scrapper

HBA Supporter
Log Member
Thanks everyone and I'd like to try the RG45 Try Hot Wings tip to... I've been welding on my truck and getting my skills back up with sheet metal and some practice tube... I'll be starting the first stages of the LE XL the first of October... so want to get everything ready. I like O/A because I have cattle panels and metal gates etc etc scattered around where ther is no power and don't want to lug a big generator around... building a new horse run in too out of pipe and pro panels again where... so I need that versatility ... so thanks again, helpful information.
Hey, I built my entire inside truck shelves and racking using O/A. It looks like TIG if you just practice.